So many people can't make a simple cup of tea?

I do a virtual eye roll in my head everytime I see someone add the milk second.

The milk goes in the cup first.

Then the tea.

Then the sugar.

There are variants to types of tea but I am talking about a good old fashioned British cuppa poured from a teapot.

Even if you make it with a teabag, the teabag goes in, then the milk, then the hot water, sugar, etc.

Do you make tea the right way?

• Yes, milk first
  • No, milk second/last

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 26

• Yes, I make tea the right way. And it scares me seeing how badly you make yours. you really should learn the right way.

• If you make tea strait in the cup with no tea pot then:

1. The teabag goes in the cup.
    2. The boiling water goes in the cup.
    3. Then the milk goes in the cup.
    4. All sugar starts a million miles away from my cup of tea thank you very much.

If you use a tea pot then:

1. The tea bags go in the tea pot.
    2. The boiling water goes in the tea pot.
    3. The milk then goes in the cup.
    4. The tea from the tea pot then goes into the cup.
    5. The sugar stays a million miles away from my cup of tea.

:)

• who drinks tea?

Here in norway you drink coffee, and you drink it black and strong. No milk, no sugar, no fancy stuff. Just pure filtercoffee and nothing else. If the cup is more than 3cm full and you can see the bottom, then it's way too mild.

Yeah, norwegians are one of the biggest coffee drinkers in the world per capita.

• Sounds like my coffee. Do you use mild arabica or maragogype or bitter robusta?
      If the temperatures were milder, I'd come to visit Norway but I don't like cold rain.

• @jacquesvol not much of a coffee drinker myself, so can't really answer.

What's used depends on purpose, but tends to be mixed blends

• I like the way you drink your coffe sir, I drink my tea the same way though really strong.

• ... If you put the teabag in, then the milk, the water will be cooled before it hits the tea, greatly increasing required steeping time, or requiring a bit of a stir, which agitates the tea making it more bitter.

Yes if you are using a teapot, or have particularly shoddy china, there is a strong argument for milk, then tea then sugar.

But with fine quality flaw free china the temperature change is no threat as long as you pour smooth and slow (which you should be endevouring for anyway).
    And if making in a mug, teabag-> hot water-> teabag out-> milk in, is perfectly adequate.

Where are you from out of interest? It never ceases to amaze me how much the 'propper way' can vary from county to county, yet still be fought for doggedly.

• I don't put milk or sugar in my tea, of course with my type of tea it's not something you would put in it. At the most I only ever put honey in my tea, but as I said I mostly drink it without adding anything. I never use tea bags though I boil my water then I add open leaf to it.

The traditional Japanese/Chinese way.

• That's how I drink my tea too ^

• Lol @asker judging by the way you prefer your tea I'm going to guess that your from the United Kingdom, possibly England.

@mskay nice

• If it needs milk the tea is bad: good tea doesn't need milk or sugar.

• My late maternal grandma was full blooded Scots and she loved her Tea
    she strictly buy Lipton's Tea. She drank more tea than coffee
    i think she add milk after putting the Tea in the cup but she rarely drank
    Tea with milk but she liked Tea more than coffee she was true Scots.

• There is no one "right way" to make tea. This is how I make tea (and results in a really good tea) -- Mix milk, sugar, tea powder, cardamom powder (and sometimes crushed ginger or whatever spices) in a cup and put it in microwave till it boils. Filter it -- takes hardly 5 minutes.

• I strongly prefer making my
    tea with open leaves.

No milk, no sugar.

If I do add something
    it'd be honey.

This way seem much more
    right to me.

But then, I guess our cultures
    differ from one another. ^.~

• A nice cup of Tetleys Yorkshire Tea!! You can't beat it with a stick. By heck, lad!! Tha''s champion!!

I like China and Formosa tea, wash the leaves first. No milk or sugar. And black Chai!!

• Sugar, water, mix, tea, mix THEN milk. I'm imagining all the good cups of tea you've wasted putting the milk in first and it hurts tbh

• Who makes tea in a teapot any more? Apart from your nan and waitresses serving breakfast in hotels?

Bag into mug. Boiling water from kettle. Remove bag, add milk and sugar. Bish bash bosh.

• Milk first? 0_o

Wtf have you been smoking?

• No milk. For years I put milk in my tea, but I find it much better with no milk and just a small amount of sugar - when I was a kid I'm make it into tea syrup.

• Tea milk sugar!

• That's traditional but culinarily wrong. Propertly brew tea needs no sugar or milk to help it. But aside from that fact you need hot tea to melt that sugar into a liquid. After that you add milk to your taste to lighten the tea. Doing it your way doesn't account for personal taste for that tea and will keep the sugar crystallized.

• Welcome to the OCD club :D

• What about no milk at all!!

Teabag, hot water, wait a few minutes, a little sugar or honey and enjoy the tea

• I've never made tea. I thought you just cook those teabags and put in in a cup of water...

• if you do milk first then you can't gauge how much tea is in your water

water first
    then teabag
    then additives

• Not all of us live in England

• Dude the water has to be boiling when it hits the tea. Your method is wrong.

• I have Invented a new term. Tea Nazi. lol

• I do it the greek way with mountain tea :3
    Boil water with the tea in it. And when its ready I take the tea strainer thing and pur the stuff in a cup. Ready. No milk and bs :P

• Exactly!!

You risk damaging the china!

• Warm the teapot then add leaves and boiling water. Hard water is best for tea, soft water for coffee. Wait 3-5 minutes and pour, then add milk, and sugar if you must.

When the milk goes in the cup is another British class divide. Milk first, working class, milk last, middle class.

• Teabags are for travel or exigency only.

What Girls Said 19

• i have literally never seen anyone put the milk first lol

• Umm, no. That's not the right method.

This is the correct way to make tea.
    -Tea
    -Sugar
    -Water
    Then Milk is added in it.

• I don't put milk in my tea because I'm allergic to it. Not lactose intolerant. Dairy allergy.

• So... You waste your time judging someone over when they add milk to tea? You don't think that seems a little pointless, to put it nicely?

• does it really even matter though... like... really. All the things in the world to complain about and this is what you come up with. Someone making tea a certain way. That's like getting mad because someone puts their left shoe on before their right.

• What on earth are you talking about and who told you that?

1. Teabag
    2. Water
    3. Milk
    4. Sugar

Say no more

• How about no milk and sugar at all? That's how I drink my tea!!

• I dont drink it so count me in

• I always make a bad cup of tea so people never ask me to do it again😏

But I put the milk last other wise it tastes awful to me I don't know

• I drink traditional arabic tea so there is no milk involved

• I never drink thea with milk.

• What does it change?

• it doesn't matter. and milk second so i can see how light the color of the tea will be.

• They're is no milk in tea.
    😕

• Just because I don't make tea like a Brit doesn't mean it's the wrong way lol

• Who even puts milk in their tea😂😷

• i just learned something new :p thanks

• Actually the right way to make it is to put the water in before the milk, so the tea and sugar dissolve faster

• This is the most British question I've ever come across on this website 😂😂😂