What's it like to live in a small town?

I want to get out of the city I hate it here. So materilistic.. so snobby.. so rude. Would love to live in a small town and date a good country girl or something.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm from a town of about 1000 people (including people who live on the outskirts like in farms and stuff - we got tons of those)

I like it. I mean I live in the city now for school to avoid the commute but small town life is fun. quite different though.
    Bonfires with friends all the time, walking around town and recognizing basically everyone, I had classmates who'd take their quads/snowmobiles to school. We have 1 bar, 1 little grocery store, 1 convenience store, a couple restaurants, 2 gas stations. So obviously if you need to pick up anyting specific or if you want a real night on the town you have to go to the city.
    Quite a few of my friends live (or lived) on farms. Everyone's pretty nice, waving and saying hi when you walk by.
    Our little town is growing as more and more people move here and honestly I don't like it. I want it to stay small.

Most Helpful Guy

• Used to live in the city, the ghetto, nice suburban area, and small town. I HATE the small town. I would much rather live in the hood again than stay where I'm at another day, thank God I'm moving away. Reasons why are mostly personal opinions. I love big cities cause there's more to do, more to see, easier to find work and commute from place to place, and the words "culture" and "diversity" exist and are not seen as your local Taco Bell.

The small town is terrible. You'll find worse materialistic people here than in the city because out in a small town, a little more than everyone can make a huge difference. Out here, they're much more stuck up, at least the "wealthy" ones, and finding diversity in some towns is like a needle in a haystack. I was one of FOUR black kids to graduate, in a graduating class of about 100. And out of us four, only two of us, another guy and I, were fully black. The other two were mixed, and one of them, my friend, has barely any black in her anyway!

Out here, old terms and words are used frequently and they have NO culture and there's jack shit to do. Also, being in a small town with little to no diversity and a town where it's pretty small and sheltered and not really out there, they tend to be quite racist, homophobic, and physically aggressive towards transsexuals. I've heard n** and faggot so many times, I lost count my first semester! I was almost beat up for coming out as transsexual my junior year, which is the year I started being aggressive right back mother fuckers.

In the end, I'd say it boils down to personal tastes. If you like the small town stuff, then go for it. Otherwise, stay far far away.

Oh, and about country girls... They are the most STUCK up females you will ever meet. Trust me. Especially when you got the ones who got a little money in they pockets. The few nice girls there are are usually taken, so good luck.

What Girls Said 3

• It's stifling and there's nothing to do. Want to go see a movie? Great, now you need to drive an hour. Need groceries or a job? Awesome. Go drive an hour.

And you're not going to escape people being snobby. Small towns gossip. Everyone is stuck in that stupid highschool mentality. Heaven forbid you don't go to the right church.

• well mr fearless banana, i dont live in a small town, but i do know that sometimes getting out and away from it all is good therapy. it's a drive away for me. I don't know how far away it is for u, but id advise that u plan it out every once in awhile.

• It's fun everyone knows everyone and everyone waves at each other even if you don't know them and I just walk around town in my bikini like all summer long and I walk outside in a sports bra and shorts 😊

What Guys Said 4

• It depends on what you call small. I've lived in a blink-your-eye town before. I've also lived in a few towns that I would call medium sized towns, 20-30K people.

Options will be a lot more limited. You have to be ready for it. It might seem like something you like. You might really like it. But if you aren't ready for it, it might be hard to adjust to. You make your own work. You make your own entertainment. Jobs can be hard to find, so you could end up doing odd jobs. High paying jobs are especially hard to find, maybe non-existent.

Depending on the size and location, there may not be much in the way of shopping. You might have to drive a distance to buy more than the very basics. Small towns in sparsely populated areas will be the financial center and shopping area for a much larger area. It may seem larger than the actual population because of it.

The people will probably be more down to earth. They will be more practical. A college degree may be completely worthless. Why would anyone waste their time going to college when they could have been learning something important? Important meaning practical and useful for their lifestyle, not the lifestyle in the city.

Girls? Show them you're going to stick around first and know how to work. Unless they want to go to the city with you, in which case kind of defeats the purpose.

• It's quite enjoyable actually depending on what small town you actually live in, mine is pretty fun and relaxing, barely any traffic, I see people I know everywhere, we have lots of festivals and town effects like down town car shows and chili cook offs, lots of cool things other towns don't like a museum underground in an active and functional salt mine, one of the largest museums of space artifacts in the US, among other things.

• Pretty nice. Everyone is usually supportive of each other and the town as a whole. Everyone always goes to the town events and the cops are really cool, never really needed, but nice to have around as they're more focused on helping than protecting as crime is usually low. This is what I experienced before moving to the city, which I hate also.

• Is 60,000 small?

• I'd call that a large town. Not large enough to be a city, but large for a town.