Girls, Is what my girlfriend is doing unfair?

My girlfriend invited her parents and sister to stay in MY house with us for a couple weeks. She didn't ask my permission. She didn't tell me about it.

Without asking me if i was ok with it:

-She gave up our room to her parents.
-She said she and her sister would be sharing the first guest room, and i would be alone in the 3rd guest room

I talked to her about this and she said that this is how things are going to be and that her decision is final.

Is what she is doing unfair?

It is MY house. not hers.

• Yes
    76% (13)
  • No
    24% (4)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on how much you love her & want to be with her.

I would kick her & her family to the curb, because its my house & I make the rules. She should have asked you first.

But in some cultures, it is a courtesy to give up your room to the parents out of respect because naturally its the bigger room. Relationships are about compromise & respect.

This chick showed neither when she moved her family in without first talking to you. Had there been a discussion first you wouldn't be as angry.

Look at it this way, if she behaves this way now, how will marriage be?

• If She assumed i would say yes, does this still mean she shows no respect and compromise

• Yes, because that's not the type of situation you just assume. You can assume someone wants juice with their breakfast, but you cannot assume its ok to move 3 people into someone's home & change their living arrangements with out discussing it first.

How's your relationship with her family?

What Girls Said 12

• you both are living together, so she might assume it is as much her home as yours. BUT inviting someone to stay over for a prolongued period of time without even asking if the partner is OK with it, is just rude and disrespectful.
    Basically she is telling you that your opinion means jack in this issue and it is like it is.. very selfish behavior.

So for collective peace in the house, let this one incident slide, but sit down and have a serious talk with her that in the future decisions like this will be taken by both of you. She has to understand that it is disrespectful to just assume you are OK with it and when you aren't just to say "well, suck it" is not going to go down in the future. If necessary you will thell the invitees youself that they cannot stay leaving her embarrassed as hell.

• I left a detail out in the original question. Her best friend is in the third guest room and i have to sleep on the couch

• yeah that is pretty ridiculous. i find it kinda inconsiderate, especially if it's ur house.
    question though: what would u have said if she asked?

• Well yeah. I think the both of you should ask/tell each other when you're inviting a bunch of other people to your home.

However since you live TOGETHER and if she actually pays bills too (?), you need to loosen up a bit concerning the "MY HOUSE, MY HOME" thing. She's living there too, thus it is also her home. But of course she should still tell you and ask you since that's the polite thing to do, you can't just disregard the other person who lives with you (and that goes for you too).

• what is her situation like? She should've asked you, and you should be able to stay in your room, but if her family is in a serious financial situation, you should talk to her about it, ask her to talk to you about decisions like these and all of that JAZZ.

• She should have discussed it with you.

• She's definitely wrong, kick them out.

• That is not okay. It's your house, and you should get final say. Express to her that you don't like how she handled the situation

• I've seen this question so many times now. You guys shouldn't be together.

• Of course she was wrong. She should have asked you in the first place If you guys live together

• How did you find out? Yes, that's unfair and damn rude in my opinion. If it was the other way round she would most likely have something to say about it. Why can't they stay in a hotel nearby? Anyway, you need to tell her to consider your feelings, it's your house a and you're not an unreasonable guy and that you like to be part of the decision-making process re decisions affecting the both of you. Bonus, you don't have bang her for the next 2 weeks. She's trying to make it seem like she has you under manners to her family.

• Well what was the reason? They might have needed a place to stay. If that was the reason, then she assumed you would help them.

• she should have asked you first.