What is the best age to start dating?

Dating, not sex.

• 14
  • 15
  • 16 (my choice)
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20+

Most Helpful Guy

• Obviously, situation dictates in all things, but that won't stop me from having an opinion.

If by dating, we mean going on casual outings with friends of the opposite sex, then I think that is probably fine for 16+.

If by dating, we mean pursuing a romantic interraction with others, then I think that should wait until 18+

My reasoning, is that I think romantic pursuits which are not reasonably plausible to result in long-term manogamy are fruitless, and its usually impossible to see that far into your future until you've finished highschool.

In highschool, regardless of how you feel about someone, you usually have idea where either of you will be after you graduate. Once your legal adults, you might find yourselves going in completely different directions, which could land you in an awkward long-distance relationship for many years. I've seen such ling-distance relationships with highschool sweethearts work, but I still wouldn't recommend it as the norm.

I think for most peiple, if you have a crush in highschool, you often have a better chance of being with them by remaining friends and re-visiting the idea of romance after you've planned your college/career paths than putting yourselves in an early relationship which is likely to be pulled apart awkwardly upon the transition to adulthood.

Again though, nothing is certain, so situation dictates.

• I was getting kind of frustrated when you said 18, but you do have a pint. I never thought about that.

Most Helpful Girl

• definitely not under 18.

• Why not 16 or 17? Think like law doesn't exist, because it's not what I'm asking

• nah i just think it's pointless. no one is really dead set in what they want at that time. also, hormones aren't settled. everyone is all over the place.

What Guys Said 4

• I think it generally starts at 14 and at times even 13 but these aren't really considered dating most time since it's perceived that dating age is 16 or 18+

To each his/her own however :) By deciding right or wrong age it never makes a difference for those who want to. It's similar to asking which is the right age to lose your virginity etc

It's all situation and maturity dependent :) But safely I'd say 16+ is good enough :)

• Generally sixteen is the ideal age. But, it is all dependent on the parents and the individual

• I'd say 16. - - -

• I mean, teenage relationships are awful because people have no idea what they want, who they are or how to fully understand the long term repercussions of their actions to others. that being said, some CASUAL dating is fine about 17 I think. no reason to make a giant deal of it at that age though

What Girls Said 6

• Once you enter high school, but I'd say 15-16. I just think younger is just too young. #teenpregnancies

• when you like someone..

• When U feel ready to :)

• 16 might be a good choice. I wasn't ready and would rather study and work, so I didn't date until after high school. I went to dances with friends, but I don't know if that is a date...

• It's different for a lot of people. There are people I know who have dated at 14 and are still going strong in healthy relationships. I don't really think there's an age for it as much as maturity levels. It's not a huge deal, to be honest.

• Doesn't matters. When you like someone..