Do you think snapping photos of strangers in public is creepy?

It's legal, you can Google it if you don't believe me. But is it RIGHT?

• Creepy AF
  • Nah it's OK
  • See results
READ THIS UPDATE: "Privacy" doesn't exist when you're out of your private property and in public. If they break into your house then you can sue them.

Please understand that "public" and "private" are words with opposite meanings. YOU HAVE NO PRIVACY WHILE OUT IN PUBLIC. Thank you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, if you take a photo of a friend or a building in public, there are gonna be strangers on that photo too. That doesn't bother me. Even though I'm normally very protective of my privacy, I really don't mind being a tiny dot in the background of some tourist's photo. But taking a photo of a specific person is something else. Why the hell would anyone take a photo of a complete stranger? What are they going to do with a photo of me? Put a bounty on me? Photoshop my face on the Mona Lisa? Fap to it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. I don't think it's creepy at all. To assume so is asinine to me because how do I know that some guy snapping photos is going to jerk to them later? He might be an amateur photographer or he might be building a portfolio of some kind. Hell, it might be a social experiment that he set up. The point is... I'm not going to judge someone who is snapping photos of random people.

Children are different though.

What Guys Said 18

• Suddenly made aware of people who are smiling behind their phone as me and my mates play silly buggers on the chinup bar might not be reading a funny article...

Hohum.

• It is public space, or course it is legal! If it were illegal, it would hurt all security cameras... Now publishing someones image without there consent is illegal in many ways...

• Nah, it's legal too. What's illegal is making a profit off if

• Well yes, hence why I said 'in many ways' lol

• You are right it is legal to take photos of people in public, you are not breaking any laws. However, I do find it to be creepy. I had a girl take a photo of me with her phone (I think it was at me as her phone was pointing in my direction). I felt a bit mad about that because imagine the fuss if I got my phone out and took a photo of her.

• I like it when people are getting filmed for a prank lol.

just taking pictures is weird though, like why?

• Not going to vote on this one. It is a contentious issue. Yes, it's legal, but it is an invasion of someone's privacy. I take many pics in public, but all are intended as innocent scenes. Just occasionally, as I'm about to take, someone walks slap bang into the middle of the scene. I have had several over the years that I thought were worth keeping, but I never have. Shame, they were really good candid shots, although sometimes a little out of focus.

• Read the update please

• Privacy is very subjective. It's like someone standing right next to you at a cash machine. There's nothing to stop them, but common decency dictates you give them a "Private space". How often do you hear the phrase "Invading my space". With photography, you may be 100's of metres away with a very long lens, but you are photographing their "space". I think to do it deliberately is going over the bounds of common decency. Like paparazzi do frequently!!

• My little sister is guilty of taking pictures of strangers in public. She is a photographer though, not every photo is going to be people posing. Sometimes you need more candid shots to get something to look more natural.

• You're confusing "privacy" and "private." You can have privacy while in public.

• Absolutely it is

• I find it strange, I only did that in my dbag college years when I got a new digital camera! :-P

• When girls take pictures of me without asking me I think it's rude... When they ask me I don't really care.

• Yes I had a girl take a pic of me and I was mad because how would she like it if I got my phone out and took a photo of her.

• Applefan1: It happens all the time now due to everyone having a smart phone. I have so many people record videos and snap pictures now days... I've rarely post pictures of myself online, but so many other people have put me all over the internet...

• yes, creepy and scary

• I would get consent if possible. Otherwise...

• Yes it's perfectly legal, unless you're on private property. Yeah I think it's a bit creepy.

• I don't mind.

• Yep, you can, what you can't do, is sell them, without their permission. So for example, if you go and get something signed by someone famous, then turn around and sell it, that's considered illegal. You're stealing money

• Very. I've thought of it and it just was gonna end bad if I did it.

• Yeah, you can't stop someone from taking a picture of you now
    they come in my house i got the "Good Night Irene" for them.

• Creepy but yes it is very legal. You can also film people do. Paparazzi does it all the time. People film the police. It's perfectly legal.

What Girls Said 22

• Its pretty weird. But if I saw an insanely cute guy i'd probably take a picture, not to keep on my phone and stare at, but to show to my friends and be like "Ahhh isn't he so hot" which i've probably never even done before anyways lol.
    It might be illegal to take pictures or someone without their consent anyways, I don't know, or maybe it was to take pictures and advertise it or sell it somewhere without their consent. I don't know lol..

• IT's so scary... I had that done to me at my university.
    and right before I graduated, this guy walks up to me and hands me photos and says he took them and kept copies and that I could have these... o_o I stayed there looking at them in fright! as he walked away... I put them away quickly and I told my friend in my lunch time... it's so creepy I had never even noticed this person and he had photos of me waiting in class, eating in lunch, walking... just very scary!! and I don't think it's okay...

• Meh, just a pic, it doesn't hurt anyone XD

I take pics of hotties and send them to my friends XD

• I think it's creepy. I once caught a man trying to take a picture of my cleavage on the train. You bet your ass I humiliated him in front of hundreds of strangers. He got booed off the train at the next stop.

There is a reason why a lot of publiv places such a beaches, gyms and pools have signage banning photography. It's shitty that they have to ban pictures altogether because some creeps can't be respectful of others.

• It is creepy af. It's been done to me by old creepy men, and it's a horrid feeling.

• Calling The God or Superman& Batman they will coming for ya :)

• poll is giving you the right answer..

• It absolutely is not ok to do

• It's not legal everywhere in the world. It's illegal in Switzerland and in Germany afaik, and rightly so. And even if it was legal, it doesn't make it less creepy or less immoral.

Cheating on your boyfriend is also not illegal, does that mean it's not immoral to cheat on all your future boyfriends? Not everything that's immoral has to be made illegal for people to understand it's unethical...

• Taking a pic = cheating on your bf/gf?

• Taking a pic = legal in the US
      Cheating on your boyfriend = legal in the US
      Both = unethical.

• Please don't.

• Funny how I would be totally creep out if someone did that to me which did happened. These guys walked up to me and without a word took a selfie with me. Another time some guys sat next to me and the guy told his friend to take a pic. It was awk 😂😂 but if I see a 10/10 best believe I'll try to sneak a pic haha but I've never done that.

• People do that? Geez.. I remember when my brother and I were little and on vacation my dad gave him the camera and he took random pictures of everything except us.

That is the only time it's acceptable. When it's a child.
    Who doesn't know it's creepy. Because it is.

• It's creepy... but I love creepy.

• its a little bit creepy... just don't get caught

• Sure it is wrong. Why not just ask that person you find funny, cute, we for permission? Think about someone do that to you. Well, I'd like to be asked.

• No it isn't legal (at least here), you need consent. Its not okay, especially when girls are more at risk of being harassed, especially strangers!.

• Yes I thought that was illegal. I do mind it, people have taken pictures of me in school (and of my friends) and put it up on social media with rude comments typed on the picture.

• Why the heck would you want pictures of total strangers, though? like, wtf? xD

• Some people are weird. I had a girl do this to me and I am like WTF.

• I do it all the time even tho it is a little creepy

• Not unless you have their permission.

• I think it depends on why you're doing it. A girl I know takes pictures of people she finds unattractive, and she posts them on Facebook. She has an album dedicated to it. I've told her it's wrong.

• yes it is and you KNOW IT IS

you wouldn't have pretended to take a slefie if you knew taking pics of thoe ladies at the airport was wrong

shame... shame on you you shoul know better

• Im not thsat girl, but Im asking this because of her wquestion

• Its creepy ass fuck. I love my privacy so I would never impose on anyone else's. I even think its wrong how paparazzi harass celebrities.