How do you feel when you lose your pet?

I have to give my cat 🐱 away today :(

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Awfully horrible, of course. I'm sorry for this :/
    The only comforting thought is that if they're suffering, it's better that they don't anymore.
    Big hug to you!

• Thanks love!
      I gave it away to a friend because I'm allergic to it :(

What Guys Said 24

• The first dog I lost (his name was Buddy) was pretty sad. We found him outside lying with drool all over everywhere, hardly able to breath. He was suffering from the Texas heat exhaustion (he was a very old dog). I got to pet him as he was humanely put down. That was the first dog my family lost so everyone was hit pretty hard by it all, especially my parents. This was back in junior high I think.

The second I lost (his name was Speed because his eyes looked like he was high lol) wasn't as bad as the first. What got him over was his legs. Due to old age, his legs gave out in the middle of the night and caused him pain. However, I was asleep when it happened. My parents woke me up and they said "Say goodbye to Speed. We are taking him to the Emergency Vet" I was half asleep so I thought they were going to go and come back, so I went back to sleep. Then the next morning I asked "Where is Speed?" expecting him to be back. My parents were like "Speed's dead. We put him down."
    That was an awkward silence, but I didn't get bothered by Speed dying too much. No tears were shed, I was sad but not mortified. I knew he was getting old and he was having problems for awhile. And, since I didn't see him die, I didn't have the mental image in my head from it.
    ---------
    ON A BRIGHTER NOTE, my other two dogs, both Great Danes, are living happy and healthy lives. They still have half a life left and are chasing squirrels and doing other dog stuff.

• aww sorry for your loss! yeah the heat here is just extreme!

• I had to put my dog down.

I had my dog for 20 years. During the last year of her life, she ended up growing warts, she was completely blind, she had an ear infection and couldn't hear, her teeth were getting infected, her mouth smelled like zombie mouth, and it was honestly just sad to see her suffering every single day.

It was 20 years of loving someone, and knowing that the power to end their suffering was in your hand, but making that choice also meant saying "goodbye" to them.

The vet asks you if you're sure you want to stay, and at the very least, as hard as it would be for me to stay and be there, she deserved to be comforted and as least scared and terrified as possible during her last moments.

So we inserted the syringe, and injected a lethal dose of potassium barbatol, followed by a flush. She was crying and scared, and I was there to comfort her. As soon as the flush hit, her breathing and heart rate slowed down suddenly. Within seconds, the vet said she was dead.

Her eyes and mouth were still involuntarily moving, but you could begin to feel that her body was losing heat and becoming colder - lifeless.

That's when it started to sink in that she was gone - 20 years of memories and emotions together, 20 years of love and affection - gone. But it was the selfless thing to do. It was selfish to want to keep her around, despite knowing that she's suffering.

It's hard, but it's for the best.

• It was a very sad day for my family when our faithful friend of 10 years, Snickers, a black lab died. Making it even worse was our grandfather had died the day before. And it was just a couple of days before Christmas :-(

• aww, I'm so sorry about your lost, this is so sad :(

• nooooooooooooooooo :(

im sorry

• I feel sad at the loss but it depends on how the pet went. If, as my last dog, the dog is 19 years old, has had a good life, and is in medical crisis, it's clear cut decision and the right thing to do to put him down. On the other hand, losing a young, vital pet to an accident can be devastating.

• That's one tragic event for whatever reason. It hit my family hard when we lost our Meg Dog so suddenly. It dos take some time to get over.

• I hope it gets better by time

• Thanks, we're over it now and thinking about a brown border collie. Something slightly different so we won't always be comparing.

• I feel horrible. My favorite cat of all time Patches went away to die (we assume since he never came back).

I miss him :'(

• Sorry about your cat though :(

• maybe he went out to look for a girlfriend and he got lost on his way back :(

• That is like breaking up with someone I used to have a dog it was golden I called him white he was a little puppy but he died :(

• U HAVE TO GIVE YOUR CAT AWAY TODAY?

Holy shit I'm so sorry I am miserable when I lose a pet, they are more loyal than humans are, and losing pets, not even close funerals, make me cry.

• It was hard losing mine from an ended relationship. Are you moving or something?

• I didn't know I was allergic to it ;(

• @Cavmanier yes it was a wonderful relationship :( even though she was a bipolar cat lol

@dogbert44 yes I made sure she was going to a new home, she is going to be so loved!!

• Whyyyyy? -.-

• 3 years ago i had to bring my dog to an eternal sleep and that was a very sad moment, but my favorite dog still is alive but very old now and if she dies i willl be more sad then with the other one

• Aw man, it felt like a massive punch to the gut. When my little girl died, (She was a 12 year-old long haired chihuahua) it hurt so much since she died of cancer and on my birthday.

• aww chihuahuas are cute, but I'm afraid of them :( sorry for your lost :(

• Can't stop it, so why feel anything?

• Good riddance! Can i be your pet now?

• I am sorry to hear you had to give Mia away because you were allergic to her. The main I had in my life was a dog who was the family pet from the time I was 8 up to about 22 - When he was gone it was like losing a member of the family.

• Losing a dog is fucking awful. I've had 3 come and go. They make you so happy, their companionship is just amazing.

I feel safe when I walk my dog at night knowing that I have a 45kg Beast by my side ready to give her life defending me.

Dogs > Everything.

• I'm really sorry to hear that :/ I actually went through this a year ago. I had a cat that i found as a 3 week old Kitten outside of my house and took him in. Unfortunatly about a year later I had to give him away due to living situations. It was pretty hard on me but (as cliche as it sounds) it does get easier to deal with me.

• It's not too bad when you're giving a pet away because you trust that it'll be loved and looked after. I had a lot of rabbits when I was younger. They were outside rabbits because we always thought it's cruel to cage them (for god's sake, they've evolved to run around), but we almost all of them (~5) to wild animals like coyotes, hawks and raccoons. I'd say it's equivalent to having an acquaintance (not a friend) die.

• I remember that when I was 7 years old I killed my little dog accidentally. I felt really bad, I cried for days.

• I don't keep pets,

• why did you give your cat

• Sad... I begin remembering what experiences me and my pet had together...

Sorry you have to go through this. Good luck! Hope things get better!

• I had to give my cat away too :c
    It was very sad but i was happy to learn that he got a new home

What Girls Said 13

• I'm sorry to hear that, cl :(
    My day isn't really bright either today...

Well, when I lost one of my cats, T., I was honestly pretty down... We only had him for about a year, it was a stray that I took inside during the exams when he knocked with his paw on the window.

After he was gone, I dreamt about him. I'd call T every morning and he'd hop so happily and excited to me, right in my arms.
    In this dream, I called him.. And he came. I could hold him for one last time, tears of joy. Cried when waking up too... But also happier, relieved.
    It's like he wanted to say goodbye to me one last time.

And this is when I started thinking what's coming next, after this life

• I'm so sorry you had to to that :( It's terrible losing a pet, they're more like a family member. My family used to have a fox terrier. We got him when I was about 4. Then, 6 years ago we moved to Ireland and had to give him away. We were all devastated. We'd come back over the summer and visit him too, but every time we went to see him, my dad and I would be bawling our eyes out. Then one of the usual summer visits we found out he got run over by a car. :(

• Awww, sorry to hear about that.

Feels like shit :( I lost my turtle 6 years ago, I had him from 5 to 10 y/o. I cried a lot, I loved my turtle sooo much.

• I have to put my cat down tonight or tomorrow. I've been crying since I talked to the vet. He's family and I'm grieving just like I would if I were losing someone else I love. I wish you the best.

• Sad... I had a cat and had to put her down because of her bladder issues... We adopted a new cat from our local animal shelter, but I still miss her.

• Depressed I misss them soo much ill cry everytime I think about them and remember all those little things they did that made my day :(

• No.. 😢 What happened? Are you moving?

• I feel indifferent, it's just an animal.

• all people can do is cry and feel bad. but there's nothing we can do. we can't change death. =(

• Aww, I feel so bad for you :(

My heart was broken because I was pretty allergic to my cat when I first got her too and thought I was going to have to give her away but for some reason my allergies came around and now it's not too bad anymore, thank god.

I'm honestly very used to losing pets though, i've always adopted older dogs, so they die within 3-5 years of me getting them normally. I cry for like a week almost everyday after they die.

• Completely destroyed. Useless! Pain and suffering! I still do everyday. Except he was stolen away from me. Which makes me even angrier.
    Ah. He is my baby and I trust him more then humans!

• Aw I'm so sorry for you!
    For me though I'm somewhat ok with giving them away as long as I know the owner isn't a mugger or anything. But when they die I always cry :(

• I've never lost a pet but I've had pets that had passed away and it was a sad time especially when I'm close to the pet. I had hamsters. By the way, I'm sorry that you lost your pet girly :( <3