Can women be sexist and can black people be racist in your opinion?

I saw a commment from one or two actitivists and they argue that to be racist/sexist requires power structures to be in your favour and therefore, traditionally 'oppressed' groups can't be racist/sexist.

• No, they can't.
  • Yes, they can but it isn't wrong and it isn't "real" sexism/racism.
  • Yes, they can.
Here's what got me thinking:
I saw a report of a case where a group held an event about "diversifying the curriculum" and banned white people and men but defended herself saying:
"I, an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describe structures of privilege based on race and gender.

"Therefore, women of colour and minority genders cannot be racist or sexist, since we do not stand to benefit from such a system.”".
http://www.standard.co.uk/

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, of course. Anyone can be sexist or racist regardless of their sex or race. It doesn't require "power" to be racist. There are racist people of EVERY race. Among different societies and places in the world, there are different racial groups in "power" as well so that argument doesn't make much sense, it would depend on what society or culture the person is talking about. Individuals can certainly be racist or sexist though whether their racial group is in a position of power or not. This is how I see it anyway.

• That's what I would have said. I saw a report of a case where a group held an event about "diversifying the curriculum" and banned white people and men but defended herself saying:

- www.standard.co.uk/.../...c-minority-10243202.html

• Agreed. I think this is an example of a feminist that got so caught up in 'equality' that she's made a joke of herself.

• Totally agree, everything is messed up. I'm so sick of being called a racist when I defend myself against racist black people. Almost everytine I get into an argument with African Americans I get called racist when I bring up valid points (not all, but a majority of my encounters). It's so messed up.

Most Helpful Guy

• "minority genders" unless she is speaking of transexuals that is basicly an oxymoron since women make up half of the population. Also the very fact she made the statment, ""I, an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describe structures of privilege based on race and gender." while simultaneously holding an event that banned men and whites something of which no white male could ever do means that she actually has greater privledge then those white men, thus negating her entire statment. Racism (tehcnicly there is no such thing as race) and sexisim is treating one race/gender diffrently then the other purley based on there gender/race and no other factors. So yeah thats racist, sexist, hypocritical, and illogicly stupid.

What Girls Said 21

• Actually this is one of those things that I have to disagree with in terms of modern feminism (or just general political correctness, whatever you want to call it), even though I consider myself to be a feminist.

Pretty much no dictionaries say anything about power structures and benefiting from them in terms of sexism/racism, like you can only be racist/sexist if you benefit from it by not being in the main oppressed group of people.

Obviously the racism/sexism is worse and much more intense for those who are in the major oppressed groups, but that doesn't mean that those same people can't be sexist or racist back. All it takes is to view your own race or gender as superior, or to actively discriminate those who are not your race/gender, and you're pretty much a racist/sexist. Nobody is excused from it. At its core it's about feeling superior or wanting to discriminate those who are not like you, whether it benefits you or not.

• Agreed. It's redefining your word for your own benefit. I used to identify as a feminist but idiots like these put me off.

• 2|3
    • Agreed. There's nothing that's obvious these days though. lol

• Everyone struggles in some way with sexism and racism because they are so deeply rooted in our culture. It's up to everyone to unlearn these habits. Women and POCs can definitely be sexist and racist (respectively) because they are raised in sexist and racist cultures.

• But does that mean they can only be racist/sexist towards themselves like the culture they group up in are supposedly?

• I don't think there's any specific rules as to how a woman or POC can be racist or sexist. This is actually a well-studied phenomenon.

• Technically you have to have social power and be considered superior in order to be sexist or racist.

• Almost everyone has some form of social power. What do you call it if a woman hates all men? What do you call it if a female manager/business owner treats the men in her company worse?

• If a woman hates all men she is sexist and a mysandrist.
      I'm saying as a whole it is usually white people and men who are exempt or even benefited by racism and sexism.
      And I said technically because men have never NOT been in power and never been oppressed as a whole. White people have never been oppressed or not in power. Straight people have never been oppressed. The oppressed groups are the ones sexism and racism really affects.
      (So I do agree that a woman or a black person can be sexist or racist)

• Actually you don't have to have social power. That's a sociological definition among many others. The others do not have this requirement. Usually I find this definition is invoked to justify racist behavior and clear oneself of any blame.

• That Bahar Mustafa bitch is old news, bruh. She had her 15 minutes of idiotic fame and is long forgotten.

Don't give her any more attention. She doesn't deserve it.

• I know; I only saw the article recently though.

I'm glad the majority don't agree.

• Of course they can, anyone can. I've experienced racism from black people towards me before (and i'm white), it does happen. And i've seen lots of women who can't stand men, you would be blind not to admit this lol

• Someone just brought this up to me today... Weird. I'm speaking for the female bit, but I will address the racism part. As far as I know, black people haven't ever really been racist. Now being racist and being prejudice are two separate things. I've PERSONALLY never heard of blacks oppressing another race. Racism is like what Nazis did to Jews or what whites did to blacks (slavery and plain as day oppression). I think too many people throw the word racism around when they should really be using words like hate speech or prejudice. I've never heard of blacks holding real power over another race or oppressing another race, and that is what racism is. If a white man walked up to me and snarled, "You fucking nigger!" that isn't racism, for I was not oppressed by that. It's prejudice.

• Oppression has nothing to do with racism it has to do with the interaction of a individual of one race with another race, whether they where placed on a pedestal or viewed as no better then animals. Backs have oppressed others, they conquered the egyptians for a time, the slave trade was based off of black slavers not white. The europeans bought African slaves from Africans. Some times they where captured in various disputes, sometimes one tribe was entirely subjegated by another but they where sold to europeans (and middle easterners). This would mean they where equally responsible for the slave trade and considering the fact that its infrastructure was in place by them and they had been participating in slavery for a longer period of time then any european nation that would mean by your definition that they are more racist rather then less (being responsible for most of slavery). Then we would also have to factor in the special privledges that come with being a minority race.

• I picked the last one because anyone can be sexist or racist regardless of their sex or race. It's very much possible

• I think they can (though I'm not sure that black people can be racist towards white people in the Western world, but I do think they can be racist towards other groups).

• I've read a lot about how, in places like America especially, there's a lot of systematic racism against black people and whilst it's possible for a black person to be prejudiced against a white person, it's technically not possible for them to be racist. Like I said, I'm not sure about what I personally think about it, but I can understand why people would think that.

• Has nothing yo do with racism. The systamatic power definition is a si gle definition that some sociologists use but is not accepted at THE definition. The institutional part can certainly be debated but predjudice against a person because of their race, regardless of "institutional power" is racism.

• They absolutely can be racist. From what I've seen and experienced, racism towards Caucasians is more common than racism towards any other ethnicity. I think this is mostly because minorities will always get away with it. The instant a white person says or does anything negative towards someone of a different descent, regardless of the reason, it's automatically seen as racism.

I live in Australia, and the major problems centre around Aboriginals and Middle Easterners. I won't pretend racism doesn't happen against these groups; it does. But it's getting more and more common for Caucasians to be classed as racist instantly, when in reality, the majority aren't. This in itself is racist behaviour.

• It honestly is based on someone's opinion of what racism or sexism inherently is. For example, for people who believe racism or sexism are 'institutionalised' concepts, oppressed groups cannot be racist, only discriminatory. If someone goes by the definition that racism and sexism are based on prejudiced ideas about certain races/genders as well as discriminatory behaviour, then absolutely everyone can be racist.

• I clicked the middle one but I meant to hit the last one

• Sure. Everything is possible.

• Of course not just like Asians can't be dumb... Duhh!

• Of course they can. I've experienced both first hand.

• They absolutely can, saying that they can't be is like saying an assault victim can assault as many people as he/she wants, but not be arrested. It's basically more or less the same concept. Just because you've been victimized in the past, doesn't mean you can't be the instigator.

• Of course they can wth..

• Apparently there is a 'sociological definition' that basically excludes women and minorities.

• That's BS tbh

• The word abuse and victimhood came into my mind.

• no one is refused the right to be racist.

• Yes, anyone can be sexist or racist.

• I'm 100% sure that your update is quote from the movie Dear White People. Anyways, yes, anyone can be racist or sexist.

What Guys Said 27

• The only people who benefit from the belief that a minority can't be prejudiced or bigoted is the minority. It is a self-serving conclusion used to justify them engaging in the same behavior about which they complain. When that happens, the legitimate value of their cause is weakened.

• Exactly! It just embarrasses them and makes them look bad.

• Of course Blacks can be racist and women can be sexist. It doesn't require a group to have power in order to have those BELIEFS, but I do understand where those people are coming from when they make those claims. While blacks can be racist and women can be sexist, their prejudicial belief simply doesn't hinder the opposing group since blacks and women are in no position of authority to carry out their hatred for the other group. If blacks wanted to oppress whites, they will fail. If women wanted to oppress men. They will fail even worst.

White heterosexual men are the only demographic (at least in America) where any racial/sexist belief they may have can be dangerous as it can be used as a means to hurt and oppressed the opposing group since they hold more positions in power.

• The whole notion of "White privilege" and "Male privilege" are inherently racist and sexist in their origin.

• Anyone can be guilty of sexism and racism. And I disagree that its all about power. Even someone with zero power who has generalized opinions of others can still be a racist or a sexist. Its about attitude and not someone's position in life.

• That's what I thought.

• of course black people can be racist and women can be sexist. old people can ageist. any person who is part of a group that is typically or more "normally" disenfranchised can still be prejudice towards another group

• Agreed. Like I said in the update, some woman in the UK argued that she couldn't possibly be racist.

• Of course women can be sexist. I hear women being sexist all the time, just like I hear men being sexist to and anyone can be racist regardless of their skin colour.

• It's racist to assume black people can't be racist and it's sexist to assume women can't be sexist.

Besides, why the fuck black people and women?

• They can be sexist/racist but it's not the same kind of racism/sexism.

• Also, there a few different definitions of racism/sexism floating around, it can get confusing.

• How is this even a question? It's like people, today, don't even know what the words "racism" and "sexism" even mean...

• Apparently some groups use a definition I've never heard of so there is actually some disagreement about the meaning.

• According to society, women can't be sexist, and black people can't be racist.

• I answer ed b but i ment d. Racism is racism. Aswell with sexism and although black people and women are more oppressed than a whit man the racial actions or comments dont hold much effect

• Of course however one isn't limited to his/her ideals

• It's racist to think that only white people can be racist, and sexist to think that only men can be sexist.

• Of course they can.
    Racisim and sexisim isn't just 1 races/genders issue

• Well yes. What.

• yes, they can. and in my experience they are worse

• We all want the same thing, right?

• what the fuck kind of post is this?

• yes, they can.

• chau·vin·ism
    excessive or prejudiced loyalty or support for one's own cause, group, or gender.

• Yes they can, and it is just as wrong so. :).

• Reminds me of this time i was following a Muslim and a gay guy arguing. The gay guy was saying muhammad was a pedophile and Islam is homophobic. The Muslim was calling the gay guy mental and islamophobic.

In the end they both went to court. The Muslim was convicted of homophobia and the gay guy was convicted of Islamophobia.

I'm phobia phobic

• Of course they can, but black people and feminist women deny it.

• Any smart person can tell you that women can be sexist and that black people can be racist.

• Under her own definition of racism, she's not wrong.

But she's lumping institutionalized racism and personal racism together, and you can't really do that. Institutionalized racism is part of culture, not a conscious decision made by one individual to discriminate against others, and in that regard, minorities can absolutely be racist.

• Good answer. She's doing that either out of ignorance (unlikely), denial (possibility) or to save her own ass (likely imo).

• Privilege and power make all the difference in the world... what's left over is nothing but words.

• Yes they can but just as when mice are ferocious, it's not as effective when they do it.

• So we're better at discrimination? Nice. :P