Do you think English is a weird language to learn?

• yes
  • no
  • sometimes

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 17

• No , not for me at least. I remember my dad telling me that English is the world language, and at the same time I believed that German was the most normal language in the world and , even though other languages didn't sound like German to me, I believed other people perceived their languages just like I perceived German.
    So, while their languages were unintelligible for me, I thought those are just like German but sound different to just me !
    I first came in contact with English when I was just 3 years old, I can remember watching English speaking TV, and at some point I just began to understand then. Never really learned English actively. I can also remember learning German and not understanding the words being spoken and just "accepting" them.

Yes, I was a very special toddler...

• English is very complicated compared to most languages. It's a hodge-podge of early European languages like Anglo-Saxon, Saxon, and lots and lots of others. It's why there are so many exceptions to the rule because so many words that we have originated from different languages with different rules. We even use some French in English, as well. However, English is extremely common and that's why it's learned by so many nations.

• No, I don't think so. I see no languages as weird, I see them unique and completely making sense according to their own traits.

• I speak German as a second language and I know many internationals, all hands down say English is by far the easiest language to learn. It has far less accents than any other language and only no genders!

• actually english's da easiest and simplest language... that's y most foreigners tend to learn English to communicate wid people all around da world.

otherwise we'd learn chinese or Spanish (both popular languages)

• It's not because it's the easiest, it's because it's one of the most spoken in the world and one of the more universal languages... It's not as easy as you think.

• @myanaconda yep only English... and a few words here and there from various languages

• Some words I find weird (Like Refrigerator)
    but, all languages has words that sound slightly odd.

• some things are strange...

for example:

why can you pronounce "earth" the same as "urght" totally different letters but sound the same when you speak it.

• Don't forget the best one of them all:
    http://buffaloremix.ytmnd.com/

• It is the least weird language.

• Once you get used to it it gets quite simple:P

• lol... i guess. all languages are like this in some way. why is tiempo both the weather and time in Spanish?

• English has very little root words and its a mongrel language

• If i hadn't learned it, i wouldn't be here now :D as it seems, it is worth to learn this beautiful language :)

• English is the easiest language and it's not weird tty Arabic

• So many say English but i don't think it is that easy

• Not really I still need it to flirt with foreign chicks, 😁

• I hailed the hail when it hailed.

What Girls Said 16

• I have always spoken very distinctly and have always used pretty good English most of my life. However, when I just feel like slinging a few words out and about, I Feel free to do this as well.
    English in my own words is the Easiest Language to learn. I know some other foreign words as well but always revert back to English as my main drain.
    Yes, English words at times, and depending how you Use or even Abuse them can be Uncanny. But they also can be fun in the sun for everyone.

"The cow jumped over the moon."
    Good luck. xx

• Hell no... try learning those foreign languages like french, thai , italian and Spanish that all require male and female to speak differently to identify themselves as feminine and masculine to whoever they were talking to... That to me is very SEXIST.

• It is a weird language, but it is easy to learn, because it's everywhere. On the internet, on the street, it's an international language and the main language used when travelling. Other languages may be more phonetically consistent, but not as easy to learn simply because people are not exposed to them as much.

• Weird? No. Hard well if it's not your first language yes.

• English makes no sense. If I wasn't an anglophone, I doubt I would have bothered.

• It is in fact the easiest language to learn! :D

• it's certainly not an easy/ ”casual” language. it's complicated and there are a lot of things to memorize.

• No. Even though there are a lot of irregular verbs, it's easy because people have no choice but be immersed with it.

• Never saw it as weird, because I saw it all the time

• you have things like that in every language. I speak 4 languages it English is by far the easiest

• Thank you! I think it is so funny that people think English is difficult.. any non-native English speaker I have ever met said they felt bad for native English speakers because we spoke such an easy language, anything else would be much more difficult, especially the genders and accents...

• No its my nations language

• I learned English by watching Lord of The Rings all day everyday for a year.

• Yeah I think it's really weird

• I don't think it is weird, but some of their rules are very different to what I am used to.

• If the plural of goose is geese then why isn't the plural of moose meese?

• It's the same words , just pronounced differently.