Do you assume all people in prison are bad people?

If you do does that make it a generalization or just a fact?

Most Helpful Guy

• No of course a lot of great people went to prison

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I used to think that but I don't anymore. Sometimes people go to prison for petty crimes (as in, crimes that didn't actually hurt anyone, such as for drugs) and I don't think that automatically makes someone a bad person. Then there are also cases of people being wrongfully accused/sentenced or people just being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting in trouble. Every situation is different so I don't want to paint all people in prison with the same brush.

What Guys Said 15

• Regarding the fact that fewest people are born evil, I highly doubt all people in prison are bad.
    It's rather their upbringing and their social background, that increased the likelihood of them ending up behind bars.
    I've watched lots of documentaries about prison inmates on YouTube, and even murderers seem like good people judging what I've seen.
    I also can't understand why someone should be locked up for so many years, because it's actually only psychopathic or sociopathic people who commit the same crimes over and over again. ( Okay that would be too much to discuss here) . Also, looking at how many inmates there are in the US, it has to be said that in America you can be send to jail due to the tiniest law violations... :/

• This right here^

The Us especially needs to look to places like Sweden to have better reform plans and stop for profit incarceration!

• Never been to prison, but the prison system in good ole murica is wack as fuck. You can literally go to jail for pissing in public probably, they find any reason to lock someone up.

But to answer your question, no. I think they fucked up a little, or a lot, and are in jail. Some really do have serious problems, others are in there for petty shit like stealing candy from the corner store. Some of them really need to stay away from society, like serial rapists and killers, others shouldn't even be there, like a kid who might have prank called a military official (which I found out can land you in prison -_-).
    Some are the nicest people are earth who made a mistake and own it, others are just sick minded people who think whatever they did is justified.

So you can't really just assume until you have met every single inmate and understand what they did and maybe why. But you can't just assume they're all bad if you don't even know their names.

• they're not all bad. I have first hand experience.

• what did you go to prison for?

• @redstar123123 I should have clarified to begin with, first hand experience meaning getting to know a person who has been incarcerated twice and we're friends. he's a good guy.

• I must say I've had a boss in a previous job who had been in prison for 5 years for drugs dealing.
    I didn't know it initially but I must say: the guy had really changed and did the job very seriously. He was a good boss and started talking more and more openly about his big mistakes from the past.
    So I believe people can change and prison will for some be a wake-up call.
    The problem is... how to know who is playing games and who has changed his or her life :o

• I think most people in prison have made a mistake, many are addicted (which is more a medical condition then a criminal act). Most are just trying to do their time, and go home to their friends and family. There are some truly bad people, but most I think are just people.

• Isn't addiction a mental condition first... and a physical condition second?

• possibly there are conflicting studies on this.

• No I don't at all. I think people who make those mistakes are that way for a reason, not born that way.

• Some people mess up. It's a fact. And some people that are in prison defended someone they care about, so no. Not everyone in prison is bad.

• No, but some are. Everyone belongs there, assuming they did what they did and weren't wrongfully convicted. Some of the sentences are too long, but the people there have personalities that make them belong there... some can change... but the percentage of selfish people as oppose to the regular population is much higher... not just "selfish," but antisocial...

• Well... obviously...

You don't go to prison for being ''too nice'' do you?

• No because justice sometimes is blind

barrypittard.files.wordpress.com/.../...-india.jpg

• No some got in there for petty crimes or were framed and the judges here are incredibly corrupt.

• God no. A lot of people in prison are there for victimless crimes.

• They are there for a reason, but i believe not all of them are bad

• some are, others are not. prison is a punishment and not just for bad people.

• I dont think all of them r bad but its truth that noone put u jail in vain

What Girls Said 6

• No. I think at least a few people are either in there for a crime they didn't commit, or are simply good people who ended up making a mistake due to bad circumstances. I'm not talking about murdering someone or something. More along the lines of stealing something because they needed money for their family.

• I'd be delusional if I did.

• No they are doing the public a favour for secretly beating the mother fucker pedos and child killers.

• Well, people guilty of felonies have done bad things, but I usually succeed in distinguishing between the person and the action. I am grateful that I am not known for the worst thing I've ever done.

• No some are put there by mistake

• I try not to judge people.