Do you feel more protected or paranoid with police?

• Protected
  • Paranoid

Most Helpful Guy

• Interesting question. I am actually paranoid. I never break the law but I still feel like there might be something I'm missing and end up getting in trouble for. The thing that got me annoyed by police has to do with my hobby. I like doing photography of transit. Trains, trams, buses, etc. I know that filming is permitted in that transit system but I still get stopped and questioned by police. It's annoying. I even print the rules & regulations page from the transit system's website and carry it with me so I have proof.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel protected, but to be fair, I'm a very non-threatening middle-class white female living in a low-crime area, and every interaction with the cops begins with that impression, so that's a definite influence.

I expect I'd be a lot more afraid of cops if I'd been born into different circumstances.

What Guys Said 11

• I guess it's about 50/50. I live in an extremely safe country but most of this safety has actually to do with the mentality of the people and not so much with the work of the police. On the other hand, our police officers don't wear guns and that's definitely a plus. I think I generally like the real police officers who have actually attended the police academy and had professional education. They are usually very friendly and treat you decently. For example the other day I was stopped by two elderly police officers because I was riding my bike without a front light and because I had a small plastic bag with a book inside hanging on my handlebar, which are both misdemeanors in my country. The fine would have been 60 Francs (about 80 US dollars), which is a lot of money for a Uni student like myself. Instead of giving me the fine, the senior police officer just asked me to please get off and push my bike home because otherwise he would be forced to give me the fine. So that was very nice I thought. I get that these people are also just doing their job and that they have to stick to the law.
    However, what I truly hate are the private cops. We also have quite a lot of those unfortunately. Especially the big cities pay private companies to protect places like train stations with their privately hired "sheriffs". These people actually have practically no training, just one weekend of lets-just-show-you-the-very-basics. The people who work for these companies are usually 18-25 and they tend to be extremely cocky and arrogant guys who walk around as though they were the king of the neighborhood. They get all proud and macho-ish about the fact that they can command people around and threaten them with their pepper sprays.
    I also have to say that while I don't have a personal problem with individual police officers (the real ones), I dislike and oppose the police as an institution for political reasons because it is a tool to oppress the society. So while I don't hate the police and I don't paranoid about it either, I'm also not exactly a fan of it.

• I protect myself. The police might help out a little, but mostly they make reports after whatever happens happens. Most crimes are over long before they get there. There are exceptions, but for the most part that's true.

No, I'm not paranoid about the police. Not even a little bit. There is no reason to be. Besides, isn't paranoia by definition irrational? So yea, people who are paranoid of police are being irrational... unless of course they are doing something wrong.

• I am not paranoid around the police, no one is around here, unless they have something to hide or they did something against the law.

• I'm paranoid of the police cause of actions that's been going on within the last year or better

• I live in small town in Pennsylvania the police have been so dishonest
      lot times people who belong locked up they let them go it's like what

• protected... Norwegian police are the best fam

• Protected because I don't try to be a dumb-ass and alpha up on them.

• I feel more protected when the police are near.

• I don't trust cops.

• The police are a violent and oppressive force. Of course they make me paranoid.

• neither police are for pussies///

• If I'm in America, paranoid.

What Girls Said 15

• I have no problem letting hem be in control. I'll give them my id no question. I have nothing to hide and if I'm not difficult then I'll be on my way quickly

• Protected. I have no reason to feel paranoid, I'm a good girl and I don't do illegal things.

• I think it's natural to get a little tense when cops are around.

I certainly don't feel a warm comfort-like feeling when cops are around. But I don't feel threatened.

• I am comfortable around police officers. I have a lot of family friends that are in law enforcement. I don't break the law, so I have nothing to be paranoid about.

• I have zero reason to be paranoid of the police. I have nothing to hide and if I just co operate with them then things go a lot smoother and faster.

• I have zero reason to be parinoid of Isis forces. I have nothing to hide and if I just co operate with them things with them will go smoother and faster.

• I'm really not sure what to even say to that or what point your trying to make...

• Both? I guess it depends where I'm at. If I'm in the city definitely protected, but if not usually just paranoid even though I do nothing wrong 😂

• Paranoid. I don't like leaving my house for a reason.
    With all the shit that has been happening? I'll pass.

• Way more paranoid. They are literally never helpful people here.

• Depends on the situation I'm in

• Neither, I feel more protected near my family and friends.

• I don't trust them, as a group I see them as racist and sexist

• I don't do anything illegal nor do I act suspicious. I see no reason to be paranoid.

• I've always disliked the police even when I was young, dunno why. But now, I really am uncomfortable and paranoid when they're around. And I'm not black.

• It's terrible what some police officers are doing (and have been doing), but not all are like that. I have friends that are cops and genuinely do their best to protect and aid others.

• Lately I definitely don't feel safe even though im not black.