Is dating someone who's opposite from you a bad idea?

They say opposites attract but does that mean they work out in the end or will the relationship crumble?

• Yes, it's a bad idea.
  • No, it's not a bad idea.

Most Helpful Guy

• The person shouldn't be completely different from you but he/she should also not be exactly the same (or very similar) as you. The perfect match is a couple that is both different and similar. Usually, it's important and helpful that you are very similar in the big stuff and different in the small things. By "big" I mean things such as political views (which connect to world view in general), religious views, the way you think about life, the way you want to live your life, a few basic character traits perhaps... that kind of thing. These things should be similar because the similarity in these aspects ensures that you are building your relationship on a common, shared foundation and that is very important for the relationship to be stable. By small things I mean personal interests, character quirks etc.. These things should be different because it makes the relationship fun and interesting. It's not fun to date somebody that you already know as well as yourself. You want to be challenged and surprised. You can think of the relationship as a house. It's very important to use the same materials to build the foundation, otherwise the building will be shaky. But it's also important to paint the individual rooms with different colors or put different furniture into the different rooms so that the house becomes lively and interesting and exciting to live in.

Most Helpful Girl

• It is a very bad idea.

What Guys Said 8

• I don't know how to answer that. The saying is opposites attract but it also repels. They're fun at first but seldom last

• I think as long as you guys get along it's good. your sex drives are near each others, and you have similar morals. I would actually like a girl who has opposite interests, she can show me new things or she might be extremely open and that will bring joy/ fun into my life.

• You would think someone who had similar interests and agreed with your views would make for an incredibly boring relationship.

• be careful to generalise so deeply... it probably is not the best idea but it doesn't have to be terrible

common ground is important, find some, but opposing views can be complementary and you can grow and learn together

• If you have absolutely zero common interests then it's not wise.

• Opposites attract

• I have come to believe that dating women is a bad idea, yes.

• No, not in all cases they say opposites attract

• AT your age you should know that that statement is true but only for a certain amount of time

What Girls Said 1