Are men and women in the west a lot more vain than their eastern counterparts?

Very frankly, out here in India, nobody really worries too much as to how people look but I see on the internet, that the europeans and americans are super concerned, even the men lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• It definitely depends on where at. Some places you will definitely see more vain people, but other places people are very down to earth and laid-back. It's like city vs. country life. I don't think either is wrong or worse or anything, there are just different. And people can live the way they want, I just focus on being a friendly, respectful person. :)

• They're* not there.

Most Helpful Guy

• Both is not really true. There are vain people everywhere, just as there are people that don't care so much about there appearance. Also, you should know that you can't always compare culture one-to-one. Something that might be considered as good looking can sometimes be considered the opposite in another country. For example most western Europeans make fun of how badly Americans dress. Europeans like to dress more formal and wearing shorts and a t-shirt everywhere is considered kind of low-class here. I know this very well myself because I have lived in the US and I have picked up the American way of dressing. People in my country Switzerland frequently tell me that I don't dress decently or that I look "too casual". However, what Europeans don't get is that dressing casually is not something bad in America. In America it's considered laid-back, which is a good thing. On the other hand, Swiss people in particular love to dress not only formally but very plainly. If you ever come to Switzerland you will notice that everyone wears clothes that are either brown, black or grey. In Switzerland, this is considered classy. Swiss people don't like flashy colors because they think that looks cheap and because they hate standing out (contrary to Americans for example, who love to stand out and be individualistic). However, I know quite a lot of foreigners and when they come to visit Switzerland, they usually complain how "boring" everyone looks here. So what's vain or classy or good-looking in one country doesn't necessarily have to be that way in another country.

Furthermore, I don't know so much about India but my girlfriend is from South Korea and I do know about east Asia. What I can tell you about east Asia is that east Asians are - on average - not only much more materialistic than westerners but there are also tons of vain people. South Korea has one of the highest rates of plastic surgery in the world. There are mothers who send their own, 15-year old daughters to the doctor to make their noses bigger or give them double eyelids or even change their chin bone so it ends up looking more western. Korean girls are also super pretty and they love to dress up. But even here, we have to be careful not to generalize. While Koreans in the big cities (Seoul, Busan) can be extremely vain, there are lots of very casually dressed girls in the countryside. In Japan, even guys dress up and follow a certain beauty standard. So I don't think the west has more vain people.

• south korea is extremely vain. In fact, the men care more about the "beauty" factor than women there lol

• more of an urban

• sorry, I meant to say, more of urban vs. rural and than an east vs. west issue.

What Girls Said 1

• That's not quite true. I hear skin whitening creams are a best seller in india. And I have a lot of indian colleagues that are constantly on a diet

I can't say if it's worse or better or just the same as here since I've never been there but indian people DO care about looks as well

What Guys Said 3

• Cultures are different, let's not compare.

• Because in our country, it isn't a plus simply to be disease free or to not be a rapist. A little more is required than in your country.

• How much are marriages still arranged in India nowadays? How easy is divorce for each party? In the West marriage is a market. Compared to arranged marriage it's like the difference between a monopoly which doesn't have to advertise to get and keep customers and a highly competitive marketplace where presentation is the key to getting the best return.