[Part I] - Do you love Gandhi or hate him?

Actually I wanna discuss something but I'll do it in next part of this question. Here, I just wanna know what's the opinion of people around the world regarding Gandhi?

• Love him
  • Hate him
  • Gandhi who?

Most Helpful Girl

• None of the options.

• -_-
      What then?

• You're welcome!

• Wow didn't know that.

Most Helpful Guy

• If we had followed bhagat singh philosophies of extremism, we might have had our independence a lot earlier. Its absolutely bullshit that he was our messiah or sth. Between 1945-1950, basically every country had their independence since the British has lost a lot in the world war. And hey, he had more experiments with his granddaughter than with truth from what I read in a newspaper report a year back

What Girls Said 8

• I loved what he stood for.

He tried to teach peace through a non-violent method. That is very respectable.

• i'm indifferent..

• I didn't know he was such a shitty person. Did you ever see this?😶 can't look at it the same way now.

https://youtu.be/-6G6CZT7h4k

• From what I know about him, I love him!
    It was soo interesting for me learning about him last year in world history class :)

• Well, the real problem is the books. The material is incorrect and misleading :/ Political conspiracy.

• He wasn't really a good person. I despise him

• I respect him.

• He was racist.

• Where is the "I don't really have that strong an opinion on Ghandi" option?

• Because then everybody would escape by saying so. There must be reasons about why you love him and why do you hate him.
      Could you mention two reasons to love him?

• And that's why I don't have a strong opinion on him, I don't know him. I only know all the peace quotes, and I like peace.

What Guys Said 11

• Reading the answers and your comments to those answers on your question, I wonder why you even asked us in the first place. You seem to have already made up your mind about Gandhi and you seem to be a bit stubborn about it. You ask people if they love or hate Gandhi but every time somebody says they love him, you say "Why? What's there to love?" and every time somebody says they hate him you say "Exactly! He was a terrible person!"

Personally, I'm rather indifferent about Gandhi (as most people here). I've heard that he was racist but then again, contemporary Indian politics isn't any better. The whole current administration is a bunch of nationalistic, overtly religious jerks. Gandhi fought for peace and I think that is something very honorable. On the other hand, he also fought for independence and while I understand this from an Indian perspective, I don't believe it was something good. Personally, I believe it would have been better both for India and the rest of the world if India would still be an British colony.

• Wish you read the first line of my question "Actually I wanna discuss something but I'll do it in next part of this question." and wouldn't have judged me.
      I am just asking, I never tried to change anyone's opinions regarding him.

You called him a racist but at personal level, seems like a lot of people are racist but what made him a racist that he was open with his thoughts.

I also appreciated one opinion saying "he is inspirational" of he is. But you ignored that too. I can prove the bad things about him but as I said, I won't do it.

And things like "Personally, I believe it would have been better both for India and the rest of the world if India would still be an British colony." were utterly offensive. Never heard more offensive thing against my country than that.

• behavior (and similar things) illegal. Also, since they have left, India seemed to have developed rather negatively than positively, both politically and socially speaking. 70% of marriages in India are arranged. There is absolutely no respect for women or women's rights. Almost every month there is a report in the newspaper of women getting brutally beaten and gang-raped by Indian men. I don't get what's wrong with these people. And as I already said, the political administration is extremely nationalistic and overtly-religious. They love to spread hate against Pakistan and other rivals instead of working together. They also support the caste system which goes against pretty much any form of modern western humanism or human rights.
      And I want to make clear that my opinion does not only concern India. I feel the same way about many African countries. If you look at how African countries did under French or British rule and how they do now... it's ridiculous. They're a huge mess now.

• That the real fact that people like him because he is portrayed as a great person. Just like you don't know why he was racist but still you do consider him a racist, people like him because he was portrayed as a freedom fighter but if you read deep inside, he was a selfish person.

You don't know that how much Indians were killed by Britishers? Indians lived the life of slavery.

And I have the reasoning/truth behind "British empire cleaned up some messed up stuff in India. For example... ... it's ridiculous. They're a huge mess now."
      But I believe that it is off-topic and I don't think you're interested either.

Thanks for your understanding tho, but never say things like this to any person around the world. By stating these things, you're supporting the dark spots of the history, the colonialism, intentionally or unintentionally.

Have a nice day ahead, sir.

• Romanticized and exaggerated like many before and after him.

• I'm going to be a minority opinion here. I think that 1) He did India no favors - India was worse off by having the British leave, and India has only recovered in the past 50 years. 2) I think that his idea of peaceful resistance only works when you are resisting a basically moral opponent. Sure, it worked against Britain. Would it have worked against Idi Amin or Hitler? I don't think so.

• It didn't work against British too. It was not him who made the India independent, there were so many others.

• Yes, I dislike him no doubt.

• He is not a cat, so i cannot comment!

• inspirational and racist... mix of good nd bad like most.

• He was a bigot, a racist one I think.

• I think he's overly praised. I don't seem him as that great of a leader personally.

• Not mind please, I don't like him. though I don't want to speak against him or abuse him. :)

• I admire his movement for peace but he was extremely racist, some of his quotes on black people really make you see him in a different light.

• Not just racist, he was **** too. If there were no Gandhi, India would be a better place to live in.

• I don't think he was the saintly figure which is commonly promoted and portrayed but a great man nonetheless.

• "I don't think he was the saintly figure which is commonly promoted and portrayed"
      EXACTLY!!!

"but a great man nonetheless."
      Eh.. why do you think so?

• He was the spirit and figurehead and a powerful propaganda weapon against the British, that is not nothing, it's quite a lot.

• If you read what he exactly did, that would overshadow everything good about him. That's a deep topic. And yes, that's quite a lot, cynical.