What should the driving age be?

What should the driving age be?

• 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18

Most Helpful Guy

• Well in my country it's 18 and I don't think that's ideal. We have some young people - mostly men - who drive very irresponsibly when they start driving. They would pretend to be all goody-goody until they get their permission and once they have it they act like elephants in a china store. There are some guys who make illegal races on the highways at night and stuff like that (in Switzerland this is particularly dangerous because we don't have vast deserts with endless dirt roads like you do in the US. Our highways are much smaller and all very close to cities and towns. I don't know how much of a problem this is in America but I'm sure there are some irresponsible young people too. In my opinion, it would be best to have two different driving ages, one for girls and one for guys. For girls it would be okay to get the permit at age 18 or even 17, for guys it should be around 24-25 (scientific researches have shown that this is the age when guys start to grow up and become more responsible). This might sound very unfair but then again, it's also unfair to the parents whose innocent child gets run over by some careless jerk, perhaps even driving under the influence of alcohol. And it's a fact that while not all men are like this, most of the people who do this are young men.
    If a system with two different driving ages sounds to unjust, I could also settle for a general driving age of say, 21. In any case, it should definitely be higher than it is today.

• I was just about to say "25 is too much, let's agree on 21" and you said it.

• Wow! I've seen you arond GaG before but had no idea you were blind.

• I know, most people here don't know :-). I mention it once in a while if it fits to the context (like here) but I don't wanna shout it from the rooftops because I don't want people to pity me. Of course it can be quite complicated and sometimes annoying to live with this kind of disability but I have it since I was born, so I've accepted it long time ago and I've learned to live with it pretty well :-). I'm a very optimistic person and I believe that if you really wanna do something, you can do it. Like for example when I told my eye doctor that I want to study abroad for a year, he told me that he doesn't like the idea and that I should better stay home because it would be too tough to handle. So I just said to him "Leeeet's seeee... I'll prove you wrong!" haha :-)

Most Helpful Girl

• I think 16 is good because that's also the age you can start working..

What Guys Said 4

• I think it should be individualized. A sober (in the sense of not being impulsive or emotion-led) teenager should be able to get a license at 14. It would serve to reward teenagers who act responsibly. On the flip side, kids with assault histories or abusive behaviors shouldn't be able to get a license until 18.

• 16 or 17. You claim 18 means "responsible by now"
    We got 30 y/os drinking and driving all over the place, nothing new.

I only got my license at 18 because I couldn't afford drivers ed until then. It doesn't matter how old you are starting out, we all start driving not the best.

• I don't claim anything. I just asked the question

• I'm not saying you are, just stated an example.

• I say 18.
    Responsibility

• The way kids are driving these days I say 17.

What Girls Said 3

• Im fine with 16 but I believe people should be required to take tests periodically. Not just 16 and thats it no more tests.

• Maybe 19?

I am eager to get my licsence but I feel like 18 is still young.

• I don't even think it should be that young since I drive like a maniac