Girls, would you give birth at home with a midwife? Guys, would you let your wife have a home birth?

I've had two successful home births with certified midwives with no meds. Most people either think I'm a strong woman or delusional.

Girls, have you considered home birth? Guys, would you be comfortable supporting your wife if she wanted a home birth?

• yes, home birth please!
  • yes to the midwife but in a hospital
  • Dont know yet bc im not prego/ it's her choice
  • no, hospital all the way but I/she can have a vaginal delivery
  • c-section please!

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, I don't care so much. I will simply leave it to my girlfriend to decide (and she is more of a hospital-person I believe). My little sister was born at home, in the bathtub and my mom loved it. She still says it was by far the best and most comfortable birth she gave (there were three in total). I can see her point and I agree with it partially. Making the woman feel comfortable is certainly important and the whole thing also seems a little more... romantic, I guess? I also think it's really funny/cool how they let my sister just dive around in that bathtub for about 10 minutes after she came out... she was like a fish and didn't need any oxygen because she was still connected to my mom via the umbilical cord. Interestingly, she's still a water-lover today ;-).
    On the other hand, I can also see @Noboddy's point. It's really a scary thought that a complication might happen. You are right that those complications are pretty rare but they can still occur. I am almost completely blind because of a visual disability that occurs in only 1 out of 100,000 people. So while this is a super extra rare thing, it still happened to me. And the idea that this could happen during a home birth and you're simply helpless and can't do anything is extremely scary for me as the boyfriend/husband. This might sound a little mean but I don't even care so much about the baby. Of course I want it to be fine and healthy too but if complications would occur, I would be even more worried about my girlfriend who I love more than anything in the world.

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually I've talked to a few mothers that gave birth at home with a midwife and it went pretty well. I think their reasoning was better atmosphere or something. Their insurance didn't cover it so they had to pay out of pocket. If I were pregnant and had checked out alright previously, I wouldn't mind giving birth at home with a midwife. There's also the choice of a birth center, some hospitals have them. Apparently they're like, separate wards that are supposed to simulate the atmosphere and comfort? of giving birth at home? Without all the interference of hospital tech and stuff. Some people don't like it and some people do I guess it all depends.

• Yes, birth centers are also a great choice. Our local one is staffed by midwives and their RNs. That's one of the reasons I chose home birth. The doctors will tell you to lie flat but if your body is telling you to squat why go against that? It's more calming and you are in control. If you really think about it, home birth is cheaper than hospital births plus your child won't have the meds they injected you with once they're born. Don't get me wrong, Im thankful there are ERs but if they're not necessary, why go that route?

• That's true. Well I can't say if it's true or not cuz I don't have any personal experience, all I know is from Google and hearing other women talk about it. I think I would prefer giving birth in a more homey atmosphere though. There's also (just a little bit) the concern of nosocomial infections and stuff that are on the rise. I don't know how prevalent those cases are in the child birth units but the bad cases are *really* bad lol. If there's one thing that scares me it's pandrug resistant bacteria. -_- lol. Still I also hear it's a thing to give birth in a pool, so maybe that's also something to consider? Lol.

What Guys Said 6

• if she really wanted too then yeah I would.

• Pregnant women died before hospitals came around. I don't want my wife or child to die, so I'll take a hospital and science.

• Yes because midwives were not as well equipped back then. Now with science on their side, they aid the woman and are capable of stopping most emergencies. However, if needed, they usually work with hospitals and therefore can transfer.

• Ritual? Midwifery is far from it

• It's an outdated ritual. When most people have access to hospitals it's just a strange ritual now.

• I've actually read upon methods of home birth that actually give a woman orgasmic pleasure from it opposed to extreme pain.

• It's rare but it can happen.

• Hospital 100%. They have all of the equipment and back ups of that equipment. Why would you risk anything with your babies health just to have your baby in your house.

• I'm NOT saying that if babies are breech or she has gestational diabetes or other known complications during pregnancy to birth at home. But if she is healthy, has a good diet and no complications, then why are most people not confident in a woman's ability to birth at home? We were built to before hospitals ever existed.

• sorry, i wasn't clear. Of course there are possibilities that a healthy female can have complications but they are slim. Your wife was one of those few cases. Hope everything is ok now.

• Ah i see, yeah everything went fine though and thank you.

• Fuck to the no

Messy
    She could die
    More painful
    No treatments

• The chances of a woman dying are relatively slim, specially because midwives are equipped in case she has major blood loss and other most common threats. A certified midwife will take a woman to the hospital if its beyond her reach. It is estimated that only 12% transferred to a hospital during or after birth. Also, Midwives do carry pitocin to start contractions. Pitocin is usually given in 91% of hospital births.

• Of course, midwives only use it if it's requested as opposed to hospitals since most women's bodies will start contractions on their own.

• Midwives can offer pain meds

• The most comfortable place for her

What Girls Said 6

• If I'm ever going to have a child they're cutting it out of me. Absolutely. No question. Slice me open. Yank it out.

• Why? It's always worse to do a c section unless there's an expected complication.

• What are your motives for a c section?

• I do not want to give birth to begin with. And I certainly do not want to push it out and completely ruin my body. It's already going to be like 90% destroyed. I'd like to save it as much as I can. Also, any kid I have will be giant. And I am small. A vaginal birth would break my hips and I want no part of that. I would MUCH rather be cut open than push a giant blog out. I'll take the 4 day hospital stay and 6 week recovery time over the shortened time for a vaginal birth any day.

• Usually, where I live women go clinics that are part of hospitals and midwives works there. I will go there.
    Even if I ever got the idea to do it at home, I would have changed my mind after my sister in law got her baby. She needed an emergency C-section and if she had been at home, her son could have died. I wouldn't want to take any changed with my own child.

• I don't want children but i've thought this before and I would prefer a C section as my first option lol.

I would be interested in home birth though, i've seen it and it looked not nearly as stressful. I prefer to be alone during pain anyway, I don't want doctors/nurses/family/husband all up on me etc. The only thing I would worry about are health complications for the child, I would be worried about not being in a hospital and having immediate care if something bad happened.

• i prefer to go to the hospital... safety first!!!

• that's weird.. :/

• Fuck no I would not give birth at home. Ever wonder why infant mortality used to be so high?

• The US has more infant mortality in hospitals than the Netherlands (a home birthing country) has in home births

• While true, there is not a lower instance of death in the US for home births. It's not like I think it should be illegal or anything but if the little bastard comes out with his cord around his neck or some shit I'd like a doctor to be present.

• It is a powerful concern of many parents. While is estimated that a 1/3 of babies will have the cord wrapped around their neck, new research is coming to light about a care provider clamping the cord as being an unnecessary mistake in most cases

midwifethinking.com/2010/07/29/nuchal-cords/