Can you give someone an autopsy after 9 years they pass away?

can you give someone an autopsy after 9 years they pass away? my mom pass away 8 years ago, I was 15 I didn't really have a say. their's a lot speculation on what kills her, but it really bother me. I was wondering can we still get her grave dig on and still have an autopsy to finally put my mind at ease.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and no. There have been records of people surviving death blows like a gun shot in the head. How they determine the cause of death is by vote of possible causes. Like the belief of people getting killed in a house fire. Most will say the fire killed them, well its suffocating on carbon monoxide not the fire.

Maybe some questions are best left unaswered.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am not certain whether they can determine the cause of death after 9 years. However, you can request it.

What Guys Said 1

• Autopsy... well yes and no, yes you can technically make an autopsy even if the corps is hundreds of years old, providing the body is well preserved, however unless conserved by something like a mummy, then a 9 years old corps is completely rotting and an autopsy is not really possible any longer.

What Girls Said 1

• You would need a court order, but yes they do them after burial. After all that time they may not find what they're looking for, however.