Being funny is 95% of the time related to your tone of voice?

I noticed two people can say the exact same thing. one person is clearly more aggressive and emphasizing while the other isn't. he'd be more funny

• true
    62% (10)62% (10)62% (20)Vote
  • false
    19% (3)25% (4)22% (7)Vote
  • other
    19% (3)13% (2)16% (5)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
2|6

Most Helpful Girl

• It's timing and your tone, as well as the words you say. Numerous things come into play in order to be humorous.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's about timing and delivery. What you're calling tone of voice is traditionally called delivery in comedy.

Timing is just as important as delivery so I'd differ with that 95% figure.

For what it's worth this is why jokes don't work well in the written word. There's no timing and delivery.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think jokes in writing usually work because they're more sophisticated

What Girls Said 1

• It depends of the type of humour you're into. I prefer dry humour so being aggressive and emphasizing kind of ruins it for me.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• That's more in the line of American slapstick humor tho ain't it?
    The British humor relies less so on tone and gesture but more so on dead babies cynicism.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd say 75% of the time, and only with cheap, easy humor.
    And that's kind of an unfair point anyway because all language requires certain tones of voice to get across a message.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's true. Majority of the time, it depends on your delivery.

0|0
    0|0
    • My coworker is probably one of the most racist people you'll ever meet but he's certainly mastered delivery of things that might otherwise be offensive if spoken normally

• Yeah I've met people like that. There's certain speach abilities that some people are just blessed with.

• Absolutely, it's also about the delivery, body language and facial expression.

0|0
    0|0
  • duh its the delivery

0|0
    0|0