Can human-beings be objective?

Can we actually detach ourselves from our own view?
Can we eliminate bias?
Do you think we can be objective but only based on the parameters (hopefully, that is the appropriate word in english) that we define as truth?

I'd like to hear your input.
Or just a yes or no.

Whatever.

Can human-beings be objective?

• No.
  • Yes.
  • Other.

Most Helpful Guy

• objective = we see something entirely and for exactly what it is and only for what it is

1. we are not even able to perceive the world around us entirely
    2. every nomenclature comes from us not from the "object"
    3. we´re emotional beings.

maths is an attemt at being objective but even maths can´t be completely objective (only on an abstract meta level)

TL:DR no we can´t

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe on an individual level but even than I say no because the way we view reality is very personal as it's colored by your own life experiences. So even on an individual level we view the world and experience life very differently from one and another.

What Guys Said 25

• I don't think anyone who claims to be objective or rational, well, those types of people, are the guys I suspect the most as not being. Through meditation though, you can seemingly get quite close. If we think of the traditional subject/object relationship, where we're the subject, and as the subjective, person, we're projecting meaning onto the object. Thus is the nature of our psyches, arguably, and the nature of our existences. So when you go into a meditative state, it can be quite strange at first. One example that springs to mind, is that I used to walk through a crowd of people and a bunch of emotions sprang forth - natural psychic projections, as explained. Now, often, I'll walk through a crowd of people and I'll just be watching the world in an almost, as you say, detached manner. But it's not drowsiness, I'm extremely aware. Because of this state, possibly, my mind has freed up capacity for higher states of consciousness. And maybe I'm now closer to becoming the object, looking at the subject through their lens. And this maybe, gives birth to genuine compassion. But I don't know, it's the end of the day, and I'm tired :)

• It requires a lot of self reflection first and foremost. You need to be able to see what motivates you what you like dislike etc. Its kind of like if your firing an arrow, your motivators and such would be equivalent to the arrows deviation, so knowing that the arrow drifts right you can correct for it and aim a little to the right and so forth. So that is the basis realizing how you see the world is just as imporant as what you see. The other is not letting emotions guide you. Sometimes we believe something to be true because we feel its true, and them we attempt to rationalize it. Which is why we self reflect in order to minimize this. From there you must always except the truth, that means if empirical data shows something to be true (or highly probable) then one needs to except it, no matter how much they may dislike it. This is how one establishes objectivity. Can I ask what made you ask this question?(its a good one)

• Closest I've ever come to were monks. You could murder their family and they'd keep a logical head. It's crazy.

• We cannot be completely objective no. Even an obsession with objectivity often leads to a noticable bias.
    But we can strive for it, and awareness coupled with level headedness and propper impartial methedology can generally achieve a fair approximation of objectiveness.

• I voted YES, and it's mostly because all you need to do is look at things for what they are.

Now whether you're capable of actually being able to think of a particular thing for what it is, that is up to your level of knowledge; but it is not impossible.

• Man I got an essay for this question, but I'm too lazy to write it.
    Yes, but our point of view extends to our individuality, and no one wants to give that up.

Can we eliminate bias?
    Yes, but which bias. I hate evil acts, and have a general disdain for evil. Should I be unbiased to that?

mmm... point of views are hardly based on truth alone. Each person has a personality which colors the facts given to them and thereby colors the their personal truth.

• Yes, an example is deductive reasoning, like in mathematical proofs. But science is less objective that people assume. A lot of it centers around studying something that's too complicated to explain directly and applying a method that's popular in other areas of science to make it more simple and make assumptions about what's most important. And the motivation for studying those things is driven by society's vision of progress and money.

• It's be nice to say yes, but in actuality we
    probably can't completely detach ourselves like that.

We can try though, and we may get close
    but our own opinions doesn't change that easily.

• I'm objective and logical and I hate it. It's the reason why highly intelligent battle with women and love. It just doesn't logically add up. I'm not saying I'm super genius but I've explored this area as to why I am not successful with women and one of them is overthinking and picking each piece of relationship variables apart. Irritates me.

• I think yes, when we have no interests in the case :D
    A soon as any form of interests are involved... it's a big no!
    Long time no speak, welcome back :D

• Its difficult, even more if those people have a high ego, low concentration and can't see their own errors👌
    But i believe if you detach yourself from even your own personality and look at somethin in a complete neutral way, we can be objective👍but that requires a lot of effort, self-consiousness, concentration and a lot more.
    What do you think?😄

• No we cannot and thats awesome
    humans are emotional and subjective and i wouldn't change that

• depends of the circumstance. I can be very objective , even if it makes me look like an idiot, but don't ask me to yell it from the roof top. Definite yes, it a strong part of my Libra personality

• nope, everyone always thinks they are right and don't want to change their answer.
    p. s that picture is tripping me out for some reason

• One can probably get as close to being as objective as possible... like say spock from Star Trek lol... but i don't think its possible to completely eliminate bias or subjectivity

• Depends

I think not, because each human is a locked into their brains, you can't do anymore than what your brain wants you to think or do

Even if you think it's an objective thought, your brain has given you these options... so not really

• It's certainly possible, but most humans today are too stupid to be objective about anything. They let their emotions cloud their judgement. It's funny because emotions are supposed to enhance objective thinking, but most people don't know how to use their emotions properly.

• We are our perspective we can widen it but we can't overcome it. Truth and reality are unknowable ideals.

• Yasss @arabianpwincess197 is ma ambition and ill defo win'em round 💏

• Yes you can if you look at different points of view.

• Of course. Scientists do it all the time.

• Our worldview is entirely subjective. It's been proved by science.

• Our own views always come into everything.

• Can we? Yes. Will most people? No.

• no. philosophy and science have thoroughly investigated this. there is always some objectivity being involved. every brain is wired differently anyway.

What Girls Said 15

• I sure do think humans can be objective. We do it all the time, it's how people change and grow as human beings. It may take some time and our biases may hold us back sometimes, but it only takes a few seconds of objective thinking to change our ideas on something. I'm sure it's happened to you, where you had this one opinion or perspective and you were 100% sure that this was the right way of thinking, but then something happened to you or you came across new information. It's a part of human growth. We may get stuck in our ways sometimes, but change is inevitable.

• It depends on the subject. If a person has absolutely no emotional connection to the situation then they might be able to be completely objective. But there is very little that exists that we don't have at least an opinion about, whether it's a strong opinion or not.

I can say for myself there are certain areas I believe I could be totally objective about. For instance, the lives of celebrities. When someone informed me a few weeks ago that Jennifer Anniston finally got married again, I had absolutely no opinion on the matter. I don't know her personally, I know nothing about her relationship with the man, and therefore I don't care. It's none of my business anyway.

• Yes.

It is insanely difficult, but it is possible. Essentially you have to eliminate the emotional bias you have towards something/someone/a situation and make a determination based solely on logic/measurable parameters.

We should have a GAG section called "Ask a Sociopath." They'd be insanely good at these questions asking for objective assessment.

• Its possible but extremely difficult to achieve. Maybe one in every 10 000 or 10 000 000 people are objective while the others are not.

• Psychopaths and sociopaths partially epitomise objective human thought. It requires the need to completely separate your emotions and instincts from your thought. That prevents any bias from plaguing logic. But at the same time you need to be empathetic, taking a walk in other people's shoes and looking at their perspective, for true objectivity, somewhere where a psycho/sociopath would trip up. So I think it could be possible, just extremely difficult.

• Yes, yes they can. You just have to be in the right mind set for it.

• You can never fully divorce yourself from your own personal, social, and historical context and life-experiences.

• No, our brains do not allow such things.

• Sure they are

• yes, if they want to be.

• I don't believe that we can reattach ourselves from our own view unless we are being hypnotized/mind controlled.

• Only when they get to mastery level. Since they know and understand everything is just an illusion and people who react to things are just doing a dance with illusions.

• I use honest objective thinking all the time.
    It's why I am a non-theist and anti-feminist.

• No, if your just your everday average human being. Sociopatgs might be able to.

• yes we can.