To religious people, how many of you take the words of your religious texts literally?

The Bible, the Qur'an or whatever your holy book. do you take most of its words literally?

• I take everything written in my holy book literally
  • I take most things written in my holy book literally
  • I only take some things written in my holy book literally
  • I only take the things written in my holy book symbolically or metaphorically
  • I'm not religious and want to see results

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 3

• Better question: how do you decide which items to take literally and which ones not to?

• It's tricky. You take the lessons to heart but you have to consider the time period. So the punishments were good then but not so much now. The lesson, however, is the important part.

• Most of it...

What Guys Said 2

• Don't forget, if you take too much of it literally, people will tell you you're an "extremist"

I'm personally not religious though. But it's funny to think about how members of ISIS actually believe they are doing the right thing, and will go to heaven, and get a harem of 72 virgins for acting in the name of Allah.

• There's not really a book like that for me
    but I do think they're on to something.

What about you? ^.^