Readers of GAG, what was the last book you have read and would you recommend it?

Simple question. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Grendel. Yes!!

• Thats in my to read list.

• I'm in the process of reading Dante's Divine comedy at the moment, but yeah maybe ill just read that next... may s well read Beowulf again to help me remember him

• I never read beowulf. It was more because of an assignment but it turned out to be for leisure lol Thanks btw!

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a trilogy called "The Dead Land"
    First one is called Golak.
    2nd, Resurrection.
    and 3rd, Godless.

I found it pretty good.. It's about a post-apocalyptic world
    with only a few groups of humans left.

The village in which the protagonist lives
    is tradition bound, and will tolerate no changes.

But of course.. the protagonist is really creative
    and comes up with a lot of ideas that would improve
    the villages chance for survival.

Eventually he grows tired of the village elders
    and escapes the village, to explore what's left
    of this post-apocalyptic world.

Would I recommend it? Yes.

What Girls Said 15

• I'm about finished with Their Eyes Were Watching God.

I highly recommend it. It's wonderful, and I relate to it.

• Ohhh very nice. I'm a history major, so this is interesting

• Yeah its a pretty difficult read, but i find its imagery and setting alluring lol, i mean its hell. I believe this literary work has shaped how many Christians today see it. I'm on Canto V right now which is describing the 2nd layer. a lot of the souls ended up here because they were lustful and/or glutinous in life.

I have the dictionary and wikipedia open to help me understand a lot of the references and words used in it. :)

• :) I bet it's worth while to read and experience.

• The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys post-apocalyptic literature. It's really sad and bleak, though.
    greenprophet.com/.../cormac-mccarthy-the-road.jpg

• Wasn't this made into a movie? i forget

• Yes. I believe it starred Viggo Mortensen. The novel is amazing, but I'm not sure about the film.

• I honestly don't even remember. Shows you how little I read. LOL

• Last I recalled, it's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

• Prolly Make Way for Ducklings and I dunno it's been a good 15 years, can't remember lol

.. my way of saying i don't read much.

• so you were 5 the last time you read? lol

• Not literally lol. But i genuinely can't remember the last time i read an actual book. It's been several years.

• i honestly dont remember the last book i've read but The Outsiders is a great book for all ages.

• Well I'm reading Persuasion by Jane Austen at the moment and I'm loving it :) she's so witty, I love how she portrays women too. They're the strong protagonists often which was rare to find in Victorian literature. It was her last ever book too, it was published late 1817 (although is dated 1818). So it's interesting for that reason too.

• I'm still reading one:
    Secret Corps, by Peter Telep
    cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...b-8a7c-f7123fa32e4b.jpg
    You can buy it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1511775793

• The have and have nots.
    Yeah I would reccomend it if you are into that sort of stuff.

• Fire something. Nope, it sucked.

• The first game of thrones. Yes :)

• The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, next up is Pigs in Heaven and Animal Dreams... picked them up at a book sale at the library. I would recommend it.

• Poisonwood bible. whats that one about?

• I would never be able to do the description justice... so this one is better.
      "a story told by the wife and four daughters of Nathan Price, a fierce, evangelical Baptist who takes his family and mission to the Belgian Congo in 1959. They carry with them everything they believe they will need from home, but soon find that all of it—from garden seeds to Scripture—is calamitously transformed on African soil. What follows is a suspenseful epic of one family's tragic undoing and remarkable reconstruction over the course of three decades in postcolonial Africa.

The novel is set against one of the most dramatic political chronicles of the twentieth century: the Congo's fight for independence from Belgium, the murder of its first elected prime minister, the CIA coup to install his replacement, and the insidious progress of a world economic order that robs the fledgling African nation of its autonomy... etc."

• Carry the Ocean (The Roosevelt #1) by Heidi Cullinan www.goodreads.com/.../23110300-carry-the-ocean
    Yes i would recommend it.

• Anna Karenina is a novel by writer Leo Tolstoy.

Absolutely would recommend it!! One of my favorite stories!

• the divine comedy by dante.

• How interesting, im actually in the process of reading this right now. did you like it?

What Guys Said 4

• Most recent book I've was was Winter's Tale
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../Winter's_tale_(film).jpg

I do recommend it.

• I finish reading two books a day so can't recall actually but what I read mostly is science and relgion but the lady novel I read and it was AWESOME was live by night by Dennis lehan

• The last book I read was The Robe. Yes, I would recommend. I DO recommend it.

• I reread Fight Club recently, does that count?

Either way I would recommend it