Have you ever purposely woke yourself up from a dream?

Last night i was having a dream and all the sudden my old friend appeared in it who i really can't stand, so i went "NOPE. wake up, wake up." And i started hitting myself repeatedly in my dream, causing me to hit myself in real life too, waking me up in the middle of the night. I thought that was really weird. Anyone else?

Most Helpful Girl

• Haha that's kind of funny, the "NOPE"...

Yes, I have a few times. I actually knew I was dreaming and wanted to start a new one. One was kind of scary (I was under some dark waters and couldn't see much, but saw a large dark shape coming towards me so I made myself wake up), the other was super boring. I usually have some action or something in my dream, but this one was a lot of boring running around with someone I didn't recognize.

Most Helpful Guy

• One time I wanted to wake up from the dream, then I noticed I can't seem to force myself to wake up, so I was freaking out that maybe I'm actually dead, and then everything around me went up ablaze in flames and I was freaking out even more and that panic woke me up

What Girls Said 3

• I was walking along a street in one of my dreams and there was a open manhole in front but I kept walking for some reason and just when I was about to step on the hole, I jolted awake. Not sure if I woke myself up or the dream just ended.
    Really weird.

• No. @JustinTheGreat, have you ever said something weird while falling asleep and woke up shocked? 0.0

• I had a scary dream that I was in the middle of a school shooting, I got shot twice but was the only one left alive. I had to escape into the woods, at that point I knew it was a dream and I had to wake up because I was too scared to run into the dark woods.

What Guys Said 5

• I'd like to think so. If I dream about peeing, I do just that. So in my dream when I start going, I try to wake myself up by thinking NO you're going to piss your bed!

• Yeah, that happens with me a lot. It feels very weird when you realise you are in a dream.

When I wake myself, I also then begin to feel that I can't move myself anymore, it's hard to explain it, though.

• yeah i do it all the time.

• Well if you were aware you were dreaming, then why didn't you just will them away?

• When I had a nightmare as a kid I would try as hard as I could to open my eyes in the dream so my eyes would open in real life and I would wake up; it actually worked.