Can you believe people are actually naming their kids "Ryder"?

It has got to be the WORST name ever. My sister named her poor, helpless son Ryder. Now he's going to be mercilessly teased his entire life. I am so pissed she would do that to her kid that I can hardly look her in the face.

Most Helpful Guy

• Could have named him Dick. Or Gay. But yeah, Ryder might get it rough...

• They might as well have named him F*cker

Most Helpful Girl

• Wasn't there a big trend of mothers naming their daughters "Neveah" (Heaven spelled backwards)? To me, that was a bit stupid. Especially since many people were doing it, leaving them with unoriginal names for their kids.

Also, what's with the "misspelling" of names that people think sound cool but end up giving some dumb spelling because they actually don't know how to spell something?

Example: A friend's friend named her daughter "Chezzarai". (Pronounced just as it's spelled, but the actual spelling is the Roman "Cesare", as in Pope Gregory's son's name. "Chez-uh-ray". Duh.

Example: A guy I worked with named his son "Malaki". Looking at it, it seems like a Japanese name. That would have been cool. But, no. It's pronounced the same way you'd say Molokai in Hawaii. He was too stupid to know that the existing spelling of the given name was Malachi and Malakai. Looking at his name I want to say "malarkey" because it almost looks that way.

Example: Another guy I worked with named his son "Sol". You know, like "sun"? Pronounced "soul". He told me, "I named my son soul," I thought, 'Oh yeah, nice hippie name. But then it got worse when he told me how he and his girlfriend decided to spell it.

You know, I'm a real believer in do what you do as long as it doesn't bug me, but these three idiots naming their kids names like this affects their kid, and that's the part that allows me to get irritated for them. David Bowie's son "Zowie" changed his name later on just to show that naming your kid something kinda neat while you've been doing drugs maybe isn't a great idea. These aren't pets. They're people. They have to live with their name and decide later to stick it to the parents and legally change it.

I know this because my parents named me such a stupid name so I changed it, though not legally. I just go by a different name now, and my mom resents that I gave up with supposedly beautiful name she gave me all to change it. I even gave her reasons why. (I was teased all through school because of it, and slightly less as an adult.) She just said the usually fluffy parent type of advice of "ignore it then". Hard to ignore when you are constantly being ribbed and the source of all jokes about something embarrassingly sexual from the time you're 8 to up to adulthood. There came a point where I said enough was e-fucking-nough.

• THANK YOU! Like, how could a parent be so cruel as to name their child something sexual?

• "Also, what's with the "misspelling" of names that people think sound cool but end up giving some dumb spelling because they actually don't know how to spell something?"

Ugh. This unique spelling of names is a unique pain in the ass. As a kid, there was but one way to spell Cindy. Now, I've seen Cyndi, Cyndy, Cindee, Cyndee, Syndi, Sindee, and so on. As a teacher, this is a pain in the ass when I have to ask a student to spell her name (and to frank, the unique misspellings of names are almost always girls), even when it's a very common name that used to have but one way of spelling it.

• I prefer not to give my name out online. Not only is it my name but it's the world's dumbest name. If my name was something like Samantha that would be one thing, but it's not common. :(

@Bluemax I remember when Cyndi Lauper came out on the scene and people wondered about the spelling of her name and sure enough it was the real spelling she used (from Cynthia), making her all the more cool. In fact, many 80s pop stars like Madonna, Sheena Easton, Siouxie Sioux, and many others who had different names seemed to strike us as something edgy and fun for our daughters. I never had kids, but my generation who loved the 80s seemed to pick up on this, hence why you've got plain names like Cindy that have turned in to 10 different spellings, and don't get me started on all the Haileys and Alecias.

Finding your name on a pencil or coffee mug is going to be a thing of the past.

What Guys Said 15

• Could be worse.
    It could have been Domino or Shaniqua or Nike or... Apple *not bullshitting I know people who are actually called those names.

• Let's not forget about the holy grail of shit names: Hashtag Jameson

• You actually know someone named "Apple?" Is this person a male or female?

• @Bluemax
      A baby boy , and then there's a lecturer in structural engineering called Apple as well lol
      Luckily for both of em , they missed the entire "HEY APPLE" deal or god damn he's gonna be in a very shitty place.

- Asker
      *raise finger
      ooooh...
      Actu- okay... lol I was thinking of
      Willy Rider but Cock Ryder works as well lol

• It's one of those new wave names. Ryder, Hunter, Mason, Jackson, etc. The cliche 'unique' names that everybody uses these days lol. But yeah, the connotations that come from 'Ryder' aren't necessarily appealing.

• One of my best friends is named Rider and though we give him a little crap about it he enjoys the attention it doesn't bother him. And so will your nephew.

• I have heard worse names. I don't think he will be teased as much as you think.

• kids going to be a super start. he's ride her now. fucking high fives and blow jobs is what i see for this kid. a ride her fuck her face, fuck her face i can just picture it.

• ... Well... I guess that's... sort of better...

• how is it just sort of better. kids going to be a legend.

• I weird, but it doesn't surprise me, I've seen worse names. If you go to some regions here in Brazil you'll see very weird names.

• I actually kinda like that name, lol.
    Maybe if i ever have a son, I'll name him Ryder. Just for you 😉

• For his sake, I hope he's as straight as an arrow

• I don't think it's that bad...

• What do you imagine him riding big black cock in porno or something? I knew a Ryder... He pointed a loaded AK-47 in my face once...

• Oddly enough you're not making me feel better about the name Ryder...

• Heh look on the bright side maybe your nephew will become a gay porn star and never become involved in illegal weapons or drugs.

• Well OK he will probably have an illegal prescription for Viagra... You can't win them all kiddo...

• There is actually a woman who named her kid Vagina lol no joke

• I'm surprised her relatives didn't hold an intervention.

• I heard a woman in a hospital in America wanted to name her daughter Placenta because she heard the word used in delivery and loved the sound of it. The doctor strongly suggested that she not do this. Whether or not she did or didn't I don't know. But how dumb can you get?

• Yes people are idiots, and you encounter them everywhere you go

• i don't think its that bad i kinda like it but I don't know if i would name my kid that

• Brodarius, Aca' CedriƧc, kadarrion, Gamarquis, ser wynfred, terminisha, skynisha. All real names of real people

• yea that's a pretty stupid name

• Do they drive dirtbikes and atvs and motorcycles? I guess then it could be cool haha

• Be positive, my babe

What Girls Said 12

• Like Shaun from boy meets world his name is rider strong -_- I agree it's such a stupid name

• Ugh, that's awful.

• At least he's not another "Bentley" -____-

• You must have a clean mind, haha. That was the first thing I thought of... and I was a little shit in middle school. I would have called him cock rider in a second.

• Hahaha my friend named her kid that and I had the same thought.
    It's fine while he's 4 and running around in cowboy boots but what if he wants to be a judge one day lol

• Before my sister adopted her son his name was blazen... that's probably worse

• Or anything that's not in the sex industry. I don't know, like you say, it's cute when they're little, but you have to think of their teenage and adult lives, too.

• That's not too too bad, to me personally. I've heard some celebrity names that are... not cool.
    My uncle didn't like his name when he was younger. He likes it now, his name is Guy.

• My brother named a cat guy once

• Haha aw that's cute! I don't think it's a bad name. I just felt bad when he said kids in school picked on him for it. He said it got better in middle-high school.

• It's a dumb name lol.

• I think that name is fine. My cousin named her kid vijay so I mean Ryder has it pretty good compared to vijay

• She should brainstorm with my sister. Their next children can be Banger and Titty.

• Its pretty cool.
    Rider... Ryder
    Reminds me of Hunter

• Okay, but... Rider? He is going to get teased so bad. Middle school will be a nightmare.

• For his sake, I hope you're right.

• Yeah. Now if they named him Dick then I would understand. But Ryder is a better name than Keith. Yuck.

• Yeah uh I actually like that name lol. So much so that it's on my list of baby names for a boy.

• Thats a cool name to me

• I have heard that name before but i think its not it's that bad

• Am I the only one that's not bothered by it and think it's unique, sounds badass, and that it rolls off the tongue?

I mean she spelled it with a Y instead of the actual word and trust me there are far worst names out there like Blanket now that's a name you'll be made fun of for life.

And no offense but maybe you should be a little less pissed. He's her kid and it's not like him having that name is going to make you love him OR her any less. So what is there to be upset about?

Just encourage him to take pride in his name once he hits middle school, Jr. high, or high school I know you're concerned about him being bullied but a name like that could actually be a good thing it sounds like he's sure of himself, confident, popular, and kind of like a rebel. Kids become "popular" or get their stereotype from how they act around others. If he shows up like he's sure of himself he has nothing to worry about. If he shows up and sits in a chair by himself and away from everyone else he's going to give then a reason to pick on him they always go for the weak ones.

• I'm pissed because I already adore him and I don't want him to be hurt. Kids are mean, and it's hard to let insults roll off your back when you're young and vulnerable.

• Then why aren't you complaining to your sister instead of ranting online? And yes you have a righy to be a concerned unfortunately there's nothung that can be done. So unless your're going to go and say all of the things that you're saying to us or in fact how about you just show her everyone's opinions there's certainly more people against the name than for it. And just keep at and annoy the crap out of her maybe just maybe she'll give in and hopefully she'll do it soon before he even knows his name and go change it to a name that you approve and and give your blessing.

• Believe me, she knows how I feel about it. I wanted to rant online; it makes me feel better. You're free to ignore me if you like.

• I'm going to ride-her... I think it's s good name.

• Maybe for a porn star

• I quite like that name...