Ever notice, how any open mindedness a person has about religion goes out the window after they read the bible?

I feel like all things involving God and religion, are based upon the bible. The ones that don't believe say "have you seen what's in the bible". The ones that do believe, quote the bible and the ones that are open minded about it all. Stop being that way, after they read the bible. Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that?

It's weird for me, because I went to 8 years of Catholic school and never had to read the bible and when people tell me about it, I have no idea what they are talking about. I know the basic things you learn when it comes to religion, like the 10 commendments, Adam and Eve etc etc but there's a lot of stuff I didn't know about because I never learned it. And, the God I believe in and learned about, is not the one that eveyone assocates with the bible.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a christian protestant, i wear a cross, i read the bible. What you read in the bible is not necessarily the image that you have of god. and there is nothing wrong with this. When you are a Christian the things you vouch are that you believe in god and his son Jesus (every thing good), and that you despise the devil and all of his evilness (every thing evil and cruel). and that you are willing to defend gods name, whenever some one miss uses it. Hope i could help. You dont need to be frustrated about religion, stay true to yourself and you will find god :)

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I haven't experienced this. I've personally read the Bible cover to cover, as well as some holy texts and writings from prophets from various religions. I consider myself fairly open minded. I know people of all spectrums on the closed-open minded scale of various religious and spiritual believes. One of the most open minded people I know is a preacher, in fact.

What Guys Said 3

• Nope, its not about what is read, its about how the person interprets it

• Open mindness is a word that doesn't mean anything

• That's because Catholics don't take the Bible very seriously. They complied it and have apostolic succession to give them authority so they don't need to. It's Protestants without apostolic succession (the sects without bishops) who rely on the Bible. It's all they have even if it is a grab bag of nonsense

• That is not true also for catjolics the bible is important!

• @vekin

Not like for fundamentalist Christians. Catholics have church fathers, councils and great theologians as well as the Bible. The Bible is one pillar among many holding up the roof, everything doesn't depend on it. For many Protestant sects the Bible is the foundation, they have nothing but rubble without it.

What Girls Said 1

• I haven't noticed that at all. There are plenty of atheists who have read the bible just like there are lots of Christians who've read the bible. The bible doesn't make people do anything. People make their own choices.