Do you think the US should adopt the metric system, why or why not?

Plus do you think they should start using international English like saying colour instead of color, and Hypnotise instead of hypnotize etc...

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Billions of people use the metric system. It's much easier.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 6

• Yes. It would be much easier.
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../...ystem_adoption_map.svg
    How much trade are you guys doing with Burma and Liberia?

Wrt the spelling, I don't know why America does it differently but I suppose it wouldn't create any serious problems.

• The UK use Imperial (UK) measurements but they seem to transitioning to metric.
      Is Ireland metric?

• @QuestionMan Yep. We're metric. We used to use imperial system but when we joined the EU, we slowly started to use the metric system. In 2005, the speed limit signs on roads were displayed in Kilometres. Sometimes you hear people use imperial but it's generally metric and in schools, it's almost all metric.

I wonder if it's just the US government that doesn't use metric.

• In Canada a lot of people still use Imperial (US) I personally use metric since I grew up with it.

• The metric system was and is still promoted in the US and is widely used. The spelling difference has an interesting history. 'Color' is as old as 'colour', the former is preferred in the US because of a conscious effort to simplify and rationalize spelling. God knows English could use it. 'International English' is just another way of saying 'British English', don't pretend anybody else had a hand in it.

• They should have done that ages ago, then they wouldn't have failed the case of the Mars Orbiter:

en.wikipedia.org/.../Mars_Climate_Orbiter

• I say no. #UnnecessaryChange

• Yes, and we should drop the Fahrenheit scale for the Celsius scale instead.

• nahhh were cool how we are.