If you go to church, how often does the clergyman say women need to obey their husbands?

And what religon are you?

• Yes, we are often preached about women obeying their husbands
  • No, we are not preached about women obeying their husbands

Most Helpful Guy

• i wonder how many guys use that as excuse to rape their wives.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm more agnostic than Christian, but most churches don't talk about that directly but refer to the bible based off from men. Like it can be understandable, as the bible doesn't consists lots of women portrayals, but there is a imbalance in the churches I think.

What Guys Said 11

• Voted C
    I don't go to church but for looking at a work of art, never for what any priest might want to say. I never did in my whole life.

I know the Bible verses about women obeying their husbands. (I posted them on Gag a week ago but I don't look them up once more for you)
    They're antique manure.
    If you want to look it up, this site will help you: http://www.openbible.info/topics/

If Christians really knew all the horrors in their Bible instead of a sugar coated resume of it, most wouldn't be Christians.

The Bible isn't fit for worship. Jefferson already knew that.
    He rewrote the Bible but few Americans know that.
    The problem is that a number of assholes still use it when it suits them.

• Based on the poll versus what people actually say in an opinion, I am guessing that they are selecting the poll answer on the basis of what they believe the bible to say, rather than what they actually hear in church.

I have attended various Christian denominations, and do not remember hearing in any of them anything even close to that. But they have said that women should obey their God, so to choose their husband over God would be a sin.

• The head pastor at both churches I have attended have been women. No, the "obey you husbands" sermons never came up.

• I'm Catholic. I've never heard it in a homily.

• I voted on b My church is a baptist church, but we never discuss that as many of the women are teachers and leaders in the community

• I'm Presbyterian and we don't preach this. From what I've seen it's mostly the Baptists. especially Southern Baptists who preach this. I guess they're afraid
    it will lead to dancing and free thought. And they can't have that.

• As an irreligious/atheist/agnostic person, I'm not preached to about women having to obey me.

• My wife is Jewish, so we go to the synagoge, not every week though but every so now and then. We aren't really religious, but as with judaism is also has to do with a cultural connection, not just God.

• Back when I was a kid and my parents forced me to attend church I don't think it was ever mentioned. Not that I was paying attention.

• Lol, as it so happens, today's scripture passages talked about that very subject. Talked about it in the sermon too.

• Christian the bible clearly states for you to be submissive

What Girls Said 11

• If you want to discount another vote, I voted B to see the results just like @BiscuitesSwag because I too am atheist.

I'm glad I don't have to follow this sort of thing whereby my husband and I can enjoy everything traditionally feminine and masculine each of us bring to the table and we can be true partners in life without wondering which one of us has to "obey" the other. We have mutual respect and we know how to make our household tick without kowtowing to a god or each other. We just live harmoniously without even needing to think about it.

• we dont just sit there talking about that stuff... we cover numerous topics in youth meetings. if marriage does come up, we go to the readings where it goes in detail and expand on it. i think it's ephesians 5. forgot.

church is only for christians, so I don't know what the point of that second qs is.

• There are different kinds of Christians such as Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists etc.

• i know that, but they're all christian nonetheless.

• I am Christian and I have never attended a sermon where it says that.

We discuss the topic when it comes up, but in no way does the message say that that's how things are done. Women are to listen and hear their husbands and support them in their decisions. Likewise, men are to listen and hear their wives and support them in their decisions. Women and men are to care for each other and strive to do all things with each other's benefit in mind. THAT is what we are taught at my church.

• I'm an atheist and voted B just to see the results.
    In religion class we weren't told that we need to obey...

• We hear it on occasion, but it is always accompanied by scripture pointing out that men need to support and respect their wives, who are a gift to them--a gift from God to be treasured.

• I'm a Christian and no, i've never heard of that being mentioned at church before. However, in Corinthians 1 it mentions that men are head of the house and that women should obey their man. Almost be a little submissive really. For example in Orthodox churches, women are not actually allowed to speak during the service and if they do not understand anything, they can ask their husbands when they get home.

• I'm a mormon who goes every week nd it is rarely or never preached like that. We are taught to honor and respect our husband and they likewise for us.

• Christian and although the Bible does mention it somewhere, I have never heard that being said on church.

I believe i have heard though respect each other. Respect ur spouse (man or woman).

• never
    i'm Catholic

• I can see why Feminism is needed here.

• No and i'm a baptist christian.