Do you think all police officers should be made to wear body cameras?

• Yes I do, it would make officers less likely to abuse their authority
  • No I don't, just a waste of money when police are still gonna abuse their authority no matter what.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes so there's no more "he said, she said" and the media actually gets things correct

Most Helpful Guy

• This year black communities are shouting that police are murdering them and body cameras are needed to hold people accountable.

Three years from now black communities will be screaming that it's an illegal invasion of privacy to link body cameras to police databases on active warrants, allowing the officer to just stand in front of a crowd, his body camera scans it, and an alert pops up on his visor when the camera spots someone with an active warrant out on him.

What Girls Said 7

• Police departments would LOVE to equip all their officers with body cameras. They only cost $1000+ a piece. Do YOU have that money? No? Well then I don't know what to tell you.

• Not only for the reason you stated but it would give a full picture of what the other guy was doing too.

• I think most, but not all, police officers should wear them.
    Remember, not all information can be made public, some is classified as sensitive for security purposes.

• Yeah they should but they already would have if they had the funds to do so.

• no, but I think they should wear mics.

• I don't agree that a lot of officers are bad. What I think is that the bad tend to stand out from the good because in general, negative things in life are far more shocking than positive things. That's why people tend to remember the bad cops more. And maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps it depents on the location. But I agree that cameras would help everyone since there's always that debate of good cop vs bad cop. And since it's expensive, I think society should fund it since a lot of times, it's regular people who have issues with the cop. Like maybe voluntarily people could donate money so the police could have the expenses of having body cameras on

• yes they should!

What Guys Said 10

• No.

1) Not all police officers are scumbags who abuse their power.

2) Police officers have their rights too. Plus, what happens when he has to use the bathroom? When he goes on his lunch break? If he's on duty and he and his partner start talking about personal matters? If his wife calls him...

3) It would cost too much money. Taxpayer money.

4) It could still be abused/used against citizens by police officers who would abuse their power. I could see it backfiring big time.

5) Tying in with the last one, does anyone remember the NSA scandal? The Patriot Act? In a "free" society, do we really want to put ourselves under even more surveillance? Cops wouldn't be the only ones being watched.

6) What's the point? What are they supposed to do with all the footage that the cameras record?

7) I believe that most police officers truly do want to protect and serve their communities. How many of those won't pursue their careers because the community they love won't trust them enough to do their jobs because of some bad seeds?

• Yeah, so then we can catch the cunts when they beat and murder innocent people.

"Protect and serve"... Good joke 😂

• Yes they should because we could also watch the cool stuff cops do!

• I don't think cops will be any less likely to abuse their authority but will be much easier to prosecute and discipline them. That and protect those who need to be protected.

• Yes I believe so, just for records

• CAN'T WE JUST HAVE A FUCKING PD THAT WE CAN TRUST WITHOUT CAMERAS?

• I believe all police departments should purge their entire staff.

• I think we need policeMEN.

• we need policeWOMEN too, not just policeMEN.

• So to you a woman should stick with slaving over a hot stove all day?

• We've got microwave these days. Still beats chasing armed criminals all day long.

• I would only support that if:
    A) The police departments can actually afford it and not need the money to go to things they actually need.
    B) That they only review what's recorded if there is a death/serious injury or legitimate dispute on what happened. So none of that fire them based on an off color joke or whatever.
    I also don't think that stuff should be in public hands unless there was a dispute for the latter reason.

Other than that, I think having body cameras on would help them, especially in a lot of these recent cases. They would be vindicated more often than not. But you know how those activists are, they will still have something to bitch about.

• Yeah, especially because the cops seem to be pigs who enjoy brutalising civilians (especially blacks) and then go on paid leave. It's become 'trendy'.