Women: If a man complimented you in the street, would you find that inappropriate? What about the workplace?

Guys: Would you compliment a woman on the street? What about the workplace?

It never ceases to amaze me the confidence that some men have with this and it earns my respect. I'm not offended by getting a compliment anywhere though I know some women are. But I would love to give kudos to every man who has complimented a woman openly and respectfully.

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont mind it either as long as its not sexual. My older sister was actually thinking about taking a fugley guy up to her HR department after he complimented her because he was being "inappropriate in the work place" but one day while I was dropping in her purse for her this really hot dude was flirting with her dropping completely aggressive inappropriate sexual innuendo and she loved it, she went out with him that night, slept with him too. I guess its unthinking girls like my sister giving girls a bad name that are the reason so many guys are confused by women's behaviour.

• Exactly. Your sisters--forgive me for saying--sounds like a hypocrite. I would have called her out on that.

• Your sister acted like a cunt and deserves to be shamed. How dare her attempt to ruin an guy's reputation because she wasn't into him!

I sure hope she learned her lesson and doesn't commit deplorable hypocrisy like that again.

• I doubt it.

What Guys Said 12

• "Guys: Would you compliment a woman on the street? What about the workplace?" I don't compliment girls if at all (can't remember the last time I have... which is sad LOL). Well, maybe that is because I never hear girls compliment guys #IRL. So I don't see the point since it only seems to boost the girl's ego while the guys get nothing in return usually LOL ^_^ i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

Ah yeah while I'm at it please don't say "it is because I'm not #confident " nuh uh I'm MF #Bold and I'll say anything that comes to my mind... when talking to a girl #NoFucksGiven LOL

• Then again these days, girls might fuck around and try to have me/you arrested just for saying that she has "pretty hair" #AintNoTelling LOL

• I wasn't going to say that. What I AM going to say is that I think it's dumb not to compliment someone just because 1) guys may not get anything in return 2) it might boost a girl's ego.

It's your choice to not do it. No one is shaming that. But the reasons don't hold water for me. My ego isn't boosted when a man confesses his attraction. And no, I'm not going to lie to him/lead him on by telling him he's hot when he's not. But I do respect guys who do that because a lot of them face a lot of nastiness for being nice.

• I guess the real reason as to why I don't compliment people now... cuz I don't really care for them at all (compliments). Since 90% of the time, a person can't tell me something I don't already know about myself appearance wise >_<.

But hey ____ can compliment people all day + have fun ^_^ #NoSweatOffMyBack #CoolByMe

• Reception to compliments by a random individual depends on just how much they don't find you creepy for it, and I personally would rather avoid these unnecessary conflicts.

• I've never complimented random people on the street about anything unless I've struck up a conversation with them. Don't know why, I just don't

I have complimented women at the workplace, and my workplace is mostly women. I don't use words such as sexy or hot because that's overly sexualized. All but one of them, married and unmarried, received the compliment well.

However, given how many women don't like receiving compliments from men (and granted it's a minority, but a substantial minority), I don't blame men for not wanting to do it.

I think you might be mistaken, RationLioness, about people who don't want to compliment others' appearance because they don't receive compliments in return. I asked a question about this very thing a long time ago. Most of the responses said that they know they are unattractive and that they are unattractive and they are worried they'll be called a creep. And RationalLioness, anyone who thinks that unattractive men aren't disproportionately thought of as creeps just isn't being realistic. YOU might not think unattractive men are necessarily creeps, but a substantial minority of them do. I answered a question about this on GAG recently with a poll. As of the time I commented, 40% of the women who responded said that they have found a man creepy solely by virtue of his attractiveness. Again, a minority, but a substantial minority. This raises an interesting question, by the way. Have you, RationalLioness and whichever ladies happen to be reading this, policed your own, so to speak, about this calling men creeps based on his appearance? I've never done it, I'm sorry to say (granted, it wouldn't be policing my own). Another thing that people mentioned in my question about compliments was that they don't receive compliments in return. Now having read some of your comments, RationalLioness, I agree with you that it's not your responsibility to return a compliment. However, what you might be overlooking is that after many years of never receiving a compliment about a person's appearance, and in particular being told on occasion that he/she is ugly, then the lack of receiving any return compliments serves as a reminder that the person is ugly or not very attractive. THAT'S why some people don't give compliments. Not because they feel they're OWED a compliment in return, but the lack of any return compliments serves as a reminder of how undesirable they are, and people don't like to be reminded of their ugliness.

• The minority is not the majority, however substantial. And no, there are tons of guys stating that they dont do it because they may not receive a compliment. Do they want people to lie? Some sure.

• "The minority is not the majority, however substantial"
      Of course. Don't you agree that a substantial minority can do a lot of damage? The majority of the world didn't support Fascism, yet it did a lot of damage to the world (and no, I'm not comparing the two on a moral level).

"And no, there are tons of guys stating that they dont do it because they may not receive a compliment."
      And yes, there are tons of guys who, when I asked why they don't compliment women, stated that it reminds them how unattractive they are. I asked this very question and this is the very response I got from many.

"Do they want people to lie? Some sure."
      No, they don't want to be reminded that they are unattractive. Again, I've heard with my own ears and read with my own eyes that this is precisely the reason why some don't do it. I've had friends tell me this. I've had GAGers write this. Is this somehow implausible to you?

• Its always a gamble how a woman will react with a compliment.

The best us guys can do is to not overly sexualize the compliment (unless we know her well enough to know she won't be offended ).

• But considering how thin the lines are between complimenting, flirting and sexual harassment. Kind of kills my confidence nowadays.

• That's unfortunate. There shouldn't be any lines. I still appreciate the men who do it anyway.

• Depends on what they are complimenting about the woman

• Amen! A lot of guys think that, "Sweet ass, baby!" is a flattering compliment when he's a total stranger.

• I would absolutely love it if women complimented me randomly. Hell, I'd even be entertained if she 'catcalled' me.

• I was told a lot of men feel this way because of the fact that they don't get such attention regularly. I wonder if you would feel as a lot of women do (annoyed) if you received that attention and more consistently...

• Guess if I got it regularly I wouldn't feel anything special. Maybe not annoyed, but just a mild level of thankfulness I suppose.

• Probably not. I'm shy and also I've heard enough girls complain about street harassment that I just don't think it's worth it.

• So you base your decisions (at least this one) on what other people think? Where are the men on here who AREN'T like that?

• @RationalLioness
      All people base at least some of their decisions on what others think. That's why we have cultural behavior. That's why we in America say "excuse me" after belching, but in other cultures they don't.

• @Bandit74
      Take a look at my opinion, in particular the last paragraph.

• What if she treats that compliment as street harassment?
    I mean imagine a situation where you are walking in street thinking of your future work or it might be a bad day for you and suddenly a stranger comes from behind and suddenly tells you how beautiful you are.

90% of women will be flattered and AFRAID at one and the same time and would start wondering if he is some kinda stalker?
    It's other thing if she already knows him or an acquaintances. But stranger can't because it will sound creepy however he does unless he is some kinda greek god.

• I'm smirking at the fact that you pulled that percentage out of your ass. I have had many strangers tell me that I'm beautiful and I never thought it was creepy/weird. A lot of them were unattractive---so what?

Yeah. What if she thinks it's harassment? She can't do anything in public because it was a compliment and no one is going to file for that because she'll lose.

• To be honest, @Dєѕιвσу is correct. Women are often rightfully socialized to see the people who find them attractive as a threat, because who knows which one if them would abduct them or threaten them or rape them in the nearest corner. I also personally find it odd to give a compliment solely based on physical exterior.

• "She can't do anything in public because it was a compliment and no one is going to file for that because she'll lose."

Horse manure. Given the prevalence of cameras everywhere, including her own phone camera, and how readily things can be put up on social media, and how damaging it could be to someone's reputation (google Justine Sacco if you're not already familiar with the name), I'd say there's quite a bit someone can do about it.

• I don't know I could be wrong but I think women prefer to hear a guy say "Wow hey gorgeous let me get your name" than "Hey you're fucking hot let me take you back to my place and rip your clothes off"

• It's really quite simple. If you're attractive, it's sexy and confident. If you're not, it's creepy.

• No it's not due to the fact that there have been many unattractive men who have said that and I have not found it creepy.

• @BoldEnigma
      Actually she's not exceptional. Most women don't find compliments from unattractive men creepy. It is a particularly loud minority of women who do and who kind of ruin things for other women.

• @RationalLioness
      I think we can agree that simply because you don't mind if an unattractive man compliments you, that doesn't mean that there isn't a substantial minority of women who do find it creepy... a substantial minority with cellphones... who can post your pic to social media claiming that she was creeped out... and have potentially thousands, even millions applaud her for doing so.

• You respect them for doing something which would bother many women? A guy who takes those women into consideration is less deserving of respect? (It's better that he only focuses on what he wants?)

• How would you feel if a guy who's not hot enough for you to want him sexually came up to you in the streets?

• So you can speak for vaginas? You can say that beyond the shadow of a doubt the majority of women would be bothered if a man complimented her respectfully and not lewdly? You have a lot to learn, grasshopper.

The guys that "take women into consideration" i. e. cower due to the possibility that a woman might be offended? Why should I respect him due to that? That's like me not smiling at a hot dude due to the possibility that he might call me an ugly bitch. There's always a possibility and the guys who overcome that and still are confident enough to say what they mean get my respect.

You clearly didn't read because I didn't say "sexually". I personally don't care if one did. I'm not easily offended like some women.

• When you use the language you've chosen, RationalLioness, "cower due to the possibility" and "I'm smirking at the fact..." and "I've heard that selfish response" and "What I AM going to say is that I think it's dumb not to compliment someone...," I can't say as I would blame people for mistakenly thinking you are indeed trying to shame men for not complimenting women.

What Girls Said 6

• I actually had random guys came up to me in the streets and say things like "hey you're gorgeous" "hello beautiful" and stuffs like that. Personally, I'm okay with it as long as his tone isn't creepy and he doesn't ask for my number or whatnot. Of course, I'd definitely thank him for the compliment too.

• Exactly. Common and sensible.

• You're in the minority, many women give out their number to a guy they just met for the first time (if she was intrigued by him )

You must be one of those "friends first" kind of gals, or u have a horrific / terrifying experience

• @Prof_Don to each their own. Like I said, I had my lessons learned. I don't wanna repeat such stupid mistake again.

• On the streets - uncomfortable
    At work place- it depends. Because i felt totally uncomfortable when i received compliment like sexy. But am fine when it's compliment like you look nice

• I don't know what I would think. I really try to avoid myself in those situations.

• Depends on what is said.

• I like compliments. I wouldn't be offended.

• I think it's appropriate depending on how he does it.

• Of course. I know that some men are afraid to do it in the workplace due to harrasment suits, but I think that should be stopped. A man saying that he thinks you're a beautiful woman doesn't mean that he's a creeper.

• "I know that some men are afraid to do it in the workplace due to harrasment suits, but I think that should be stopped"
      I've a friend who teaches HR up in Oregon. Suffice it to say that the people who wrote the textbooks she teaches from do not agree with you. In fact they encourage women to file complaints.

"A man saying that he thinks you're a beautiful woman doesn't mean that he's a creeper."
      To you, RationalLioness, I've no doubt this is true. It's not true to a vocal minority, and yet very few people seem to address this.