What is the Patriot Act?

What is the Patriot Act?

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Guy

• basically, it's an act that originated after 9/11 that granted certain immunities to the federal government in regards to domestic spying and law enforcement. It was sold with the theme "you have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide" (hence the name 'patriot' act), and announced as a counter-terrorism concept, but only the most far-right conservatives seem to believe that it's actually used for that purpose. Mostly, people think it's used to counter dissenters. In fact, I'm mildly surprised there hasn't been some conservative call for ending the patriot act, now that a democrat has inherited that power. Not greatly surprised, as that would entail admitting it was wrong in the first place, but mildly surprised..

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 4

• This is the definition

The USA PATRIOT Act is an Act of Congress that was signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 26, 2001. Its title is a ten-letter backronym (USA PATRIOT) that stands for "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001".

This will describe the whole thing
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act#Background

0|2
    0|0
    • Indeed , but the author omits the NSPDs [National Security Presidential Directives] which G-W Bush started emitting seven months before 9/11.

• Even if the intent were noble to protect the country and it's citizens, those in power can easily misuse it for their personal gains, meet their ambitious ends etc and I don't know the checks in place to control those :)

• The Laws voted by near unanimity after 9/11 to ameliorate the security of America
    Many liberties were lost then. A number of these Laws came to an end , others were smuggled back in with each Defense budget bill.

Read a bit here: www.globalissues.org/.../overview-of-changes-to-legal-rights

0|1
    0|0
  • I think that's the law that allows the government (namely the NSA) to spy on it's own citizens.

0|1
    0|0
  • It means dictatorship

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!