Why do Vegetarians eat fish?

I have always wondered this. Are fish not considered animals? Are they not considered meat? What are they? I don't understand lol

Note: I realize there are different degrees of vegetarian - this is for the ones that consider seafood acceptable.

Most Helpful Guy

• Many vegetarians have the "nothing with a face" rule. That includes fish. There are some vegetarians who eat fish and chicken but most other vegetarians don't let them go to the parties. Vegans, on the other hand are do snooty that we don't even know what days they get together. Just kidding, but there are different levels

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't. I don't eat any meat or fish. I even ask what kind of broth restaurants use in their soups before I eat it.

• You still differentiate between the two. Why? Are fish not meat?

• You STILL are separating them. Fish AND meat. Are fish NOT meat also? Why are they two different categories?

• They're the same to me because they are both living things so...

What Guys Said 6

• Well, some vegetarians eat animal products despite the fact that it kinda goes against their titles. In this instance, that person would actually be a pescatarian, not a true vegetarian.

• Because for many vegetarian it has nothing to do with whether it's an animal or not. Most probably do it for health reasons. In that regard fish are very different than red meat.

• It's just the way some vegetarians are don't see eggs or fish as meat, weird I know but that's just how it is.

Really the only ones that abide by their groups rules to a T is the vegans you know the crazy ones.

• "Professor James Rose from the University of Wyoming in the US, who led the study, also found that the fish brain does not contain the highly developed neocortex needed to feel pain, so do not experience it in any meaningful way like humans."
    So that means those vegetarians are the kind that only worry about harming the animal.

• Cause they are posers!! They just like to say they are vegetarian. No real vegetarian would eat anything that has a face.

• Because they are followers that don't know what their true ambitions are.

What Girls Said 5

• I used to think this too but people who only eat fish meat are called pescetarians
    Vegetarians do not eat fish
    Vegans don't eat any animals or animal products (cheese milk eggs things with preservatives made from bone)

• You're confusing pescatarians with vegetarians

• Google "Why don't vegetarians eat fish?" and you'll see that pescatarian falls under the umbrella of vegetarian.

• Oh, that's news to me. I don't see why they're considered vegetarians if they're consuming meat though. The English language is odd.

• Thats pescatarians

• They're pescatarians.

• hey fish are friends!!!:(