What do you think of male feminists?

"Feminism is a movement that is, to a large extent, about challenging societal norms that give men more powerful roles and influential voices. Many male feminists such as the three Michaels – Kimmel, Kaufman and Flood – sidestep this by writing primarily about what men should do among ourselves. However as Schwyzer correctly identified, this can only ever be within the limits set by feminist women. The ultimate goal of all feminists, male or female, is and rightly should be the welfare and social and political emancipation of women. If men are concerned about the problems men face, not just the problems men cause, then the pews of the feminist cathedral are rarely the most comfortable place to sit."

That's a quote from an article that made me think about the subject (as did the article's comments).

What do you think about men who identify as femnists? Answer whichever option in the poll is closest to your views please.

• I think it's great; we need more of them!
  • It's good that men are supportive of equality for women.
  • I don't care.
  • I think feminism is ill-advised/outdated and they're generally wrong/misguided.
  • I think men can't be feminists.
  • I think male feminists are idiots who are either desperate to sleep with feminist women or are masochists too cheap to hire a dominatrix.
  • I think all feminists are evil.

Most Helpful Girl

• Men benefit from feminism too; feminism is all about breaking down gender roles and barriers in society which, while society puts men on a higher peg than women, hurts men too.

Traditional ''wisdom'' says that women are weaker, less intelligent, unable to lead, emotional, etc, which is obviously harmful to women, but it also says that men must always be strong, protective, the leader, emotionless.

These are basically positive attributes, but they still shoehorn men into a very narrow view of what it means to be a man, and emasculates men who do not fit into this traditional view the quiet, sensitive men, the bookish men, the submissive men. By challenging gender stereotypes, feminism allows both men and women to be themselves.

• I'd agree and I actually probably am one of those sensitive, submissive men but most Feminists generally seem to view men's concerns and issues as a distraction at best.

• *tried not tired

• Crock of shit, entirely. Nobody benefits from feminism except for politically-connected feminists, who get wealthy on taxpayer money.

Feminism wants to free women from their gender roles, but absolutely does not want men free from theirs. Rather, feminism wants men to shoulder BOTH men's and women's social constraints, while leaving women completely freed and entirely unaccountable.

So yes, feminism is right about traditional expectations and thoughts about men's roles, but itself certainly offers no reprieve for men.

Bullshit, bullshit lies.

Most Helpful Guy

• I fully support gender equality but I don't really know if I would call myself a feminist. I support full gender equality on both sides so I don't like how you never hear feminists complaining about inequality towards men. For example, 40% of domestic violence victims are men but the Safe Houses are usually women only. Never heard a feminist complaining about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmzH9MHKC7s

• I think feminists see discussions about male issues as a distraction or a threat to their arguments. Which is why I don't call myself a feminist either.

• MHO me please!

• lol
      I'll think about it. There's been a lot of answers.

What Girls Said 10

• most are just trying to get in to a feminist's pants..

• They're like black people supporting the KKK

• The thing is, most people don't understand feminism due to it being poorly explained. Men often say "I'm a meninist, because I care about men blabla" And women also quite often use the term wrong. Feminism is about gender equality, not about one sex being better lol

• yet the very word singles out females...

• @bigboi22 Like equalism? the only reson feminism is named after women is because in the time it started to become a thing, women were supressed.

• yeah equalism. im just saying many people that are ignorant may think of females getting into power or something. equalism is a much better word. Feminism is misleading in this time.

• I did a survey while I was in college and 90% of my male professors identified as feminists.

• Interesting. Do you have any idea what your fellow students thought? Maybe it's a generational thing.

• One of them was 30.

• Interesting. Most guys seem either uncomfortable with feminism or hate it. I used to call myself a feminist but not anymore.

• Its a good thing and its really cool that they aren't afraid to identify with it

Lol hateful poll results

• I have been speaking with a group of male feminists online and they are an odd bunch. It's like they're desperate for the female's approval.

• People on the internet can be odd in general lmao

• Feminists support gender equality, that's all, you don't need to parade around naked to be a feminist. In my opinion, every human with morals should support any kind of human rights.

• Yet feminists never get upset over fathers not having equal rights or any other injustices against men. Feminism is a cult that promotes lies and bigotry.

• Yes, feminists support gender equality, thus the name ''feminists''

• I think they found another way to fuck women. since feminists are about sexual empowerment.

• Anyone that supports equality is cool is my book

• I always say I believe in equal rights, not feminism. This is mostly because the word "feminism" has a really negative connotation of being "men-hater" so even though I'm a woman I don't think i'm a "feminist".

I think anyone who believes in gender equality is great. So its reassuring to hear of men who support women and vice versa.

• LOL at thatt blue line xD

What Guys Said 30

• I think male feminists are idiots who are either desperate to sleep with feminist women or are masochists too cheap to hire a dominatrix. i1127.photobucket.com/.../...anxn5c.320x240x71.gif

• feminist is ultimately just a word. A label we apply to too many things. If someone doesn't agree with feminism but does agree with the concept of gender equality, that's fine, but it becomes something of a contradiction to someone who calls themselves a feminist solely because they believe in equality. Such is the inevitable confusion when one argues labels instead of concepts, and it is typically the "anti-feminists" that stretch the usage of the term feminist such that it includes things they feel better equipped to argue against, thus providing some proxy justification to their disagreement with the things it included that they were not equipped to argue against (ultimately the whole theory behind a straw-man argument, except I suppose this is a "strawoman"?).

• Very good point about labels vs concepts.

• I'm somewhat alarmed at all the negativity towards women's issues coming from the rest of my gender.

In short, this attitude that male feminists must be white knighting as a last resort to get pussy.

I'm not sure what to think about this. Either the people making this claim are right, in which case, point feminists 'cuz clearly even feminist men are manipulative assholes. Or they're wrong and... well, you see where that's going.

Maybe I'm a rare case where men are concerned, I don't know. All I know is that when a friend of mine tells me that she's so goddamn sick of being told to smile, like it's her fucking job to brighten someone's day, I sympathize with that. It'd piss me off too.

If I was being catcalled by people that I had zero interest in fucking every time I walked out my door, that would piss me off. And it would piss me off more if I was called a bitch for ignoring them.

It'd piss me off if I was called a slut just for dressing the way I like, and it'd piss me off if every time I walked to my car at night, I had to worry that some guy might decide that he's just ~going~ to fuck me because he liked the way I looked. It'd piss me off if I felt like I had to bunch my keys between my fingers like a weapon, or use the "buddy system" in order to feel at least a little safe.

I sympathise with that shit, and I make a consious effort not to contribute to it, and I guess that makes me a feminist, or an "ally" or whatever.

Yeah, I know. Men can face some pretty severe gender related issues too, but we don't have to endure harassment and fear for our personal safety on a daily fucking basis. And why not? Because we have cocks. So if you're one of those guys who just thinks women should sit down and shut the fuck up about it, then maybe it's time for a little self-analysis, bro. Would you put up with that shit?

Didn't think so.

• I'd agree with some of what you said but I think the issue is that feminism as a movement is seen as being flawed and sexist in its own way. The movement is why there is so few people that identify as feminists.

• You have swallowed the feminist bullshit by the gallon.

Fear of something =/= actual risk.
      Being against feminist sudo religious ideology =/= being anti women.

If you can't understand why so many people are against the bullshit that is feminism but are strongly FOR equality that is because you need to go out and experience the world from new perspectives instead of living in your little feminist echo chamber.

• Whatever dude. Way to just be a dick and not bother making an actual argument in the process.

• Pussy-whipped white knights who think it'll get them some feminazi poontang.

• Poor buggers the lot of em : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEiguYmgxA

• i don't see them any differently than female ones

• LOL! I love how everybody agrees with this -- and I know it's for different reasons :D

• What women are doing is out of self-interest, what men are doing is out of penis-interest.

• Feminism was relevant and necessary in 1960. Now it's just a special-interest group that seeks to promote the hegemony of women and trivialize the struggles of boys and men in society. There's not even a basic pretense of gender equality in their agenda, it's strictly about pushing female superiority.

• This is the ONLY! kind of Feminist that has any moral integrity, they are VERY rare and this lady is the exception to the rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JJfeu2IG0M

Feminism is mostly no different then any other religion/hate group/ threat narrative spouting group that humans just seem to love being apart of over and over again throughout history.

It's like humans are allergic to learning from their mistakes, every new generation think that they are the new enlightened ones and so much better/smarter then the past generations. When in reality we just keep repeating the same stupid cycles over and over again.

• Most that I've seen look like they are whipped and possibly castrated...

• I see nothing wrong with a guy wanting equality for women (as long as it stays as equality and he doesn't become a female supremacist).

• From my observations, a lot of male feminists had a hard time trying to get women before so then they decide to join a group that has nothing to do with them just to impress females...

• I have about 20 fucks left in my wallet and I'm not about to start giving them away.
    I couldn't give less of a fuck about that.

• White knights bruh

• Really I despise the entire movement, it use to stand for something good, but now a days it's up to nothing but no good. At least here in the US anyway, it has outlived it's usefulness.

• Morons and weaklings.

• They only want to get laid.

• Well I'm an egalitarian so I voted B since originally the feminist movement was about equal rights not a bunch of man hating bs.

• Feminism is a cancer, a plague that needs to be eradicated.

• What do I think of male feminists? I think they are even more deranged and insane than female feminists.

• I am one. Feminazis are the worst, but I'll fight for real equality any day of the week.

• sissies who need to be mothered 24/7

• I'm a male radical feminists and I'll punch any male anti-feminists straight in the nose.

• Destroy gender 2k15!

• You're fists will get tired very quickly.

• So you will punch only male anti-feminists, and not female anti-feminists.. how is that gender equality?

• Male feminists need feminism because it is the only way they can get laid.

• I Ð㊉NŦ CARE

• Male feminists are desperate to sleep with feminist women, or they're just weak.

• I loosely equate them to the "useful Jews" during WWII.

• there are different kinds of self harm. women usually cut themselves or develop eating disorders. men abuse alcohol or support feminism.

• so... basically male feminists are second class feminists, and they can only fight for male issues, as long as female feminists allows them to... I'm not English, and maybe I misunderstood, but I think this says it all:

"However as Schwyzer correctly identified, this can only ever be within the limits set by feminist women"

• That's the line that caught my eye. It is really true. For a man to be a feminist, he has to automatically defer to women on certain subjects or risk "mansplaining".

• tbh, I'm not surprised at all with this text... I never really cared about feminism, until a couple of years ago I had a huge discussion with a feminist "friend" of mine, and realized that their concept of equality was completely "twisted" (can't find a better word XD)... so I'm not surprised about the text you have shown, after all, this is what a "matriarchy" is, and this is what real feminists fight for. Don't let their PC speech and other BS fool you, because it is clear as day what they really want.

That being said, this text shows exactly why men should not trust feminists in order to adress male issues,
      because any solution they will present will be completely biased once it passes the female feminist censorship... after all, ladies first ;)

• They misplaced their balls somewhere, and are afraid to go find them.
    So instead, they whine along all the bullshit myths, hoping some dumb twat will actually ride his dong.

• Most of them are just desperately trying to impress women.