Why do people hate on #blacklivesmatter?

Why do people insist on changing it to #alllivesmatter? Its OUR FUCKING HASHTAG. MAKE YOUR OWN SHIT!! Everytime we do something to encourage the black community, people always come and try the change it to something else and hate off of it.

Most Helpful Guy

• because racists don't want to admit that racism exists, basically. They want to believe that mistreatment of black people is entirely the fault of black people. It doesn't matter that white people in the same country do better overall - that's the fault of black people. They are naturally inferior. That's the only explanation. That isn't racism, that's just the facts. And if you say that the assumption that black people are inferior is racism, they'll accuse you of playing the race card, or they'll tell you it's not about race. Because racists don't want to admit that racism exists.

• Thank you.

• Because all of us should stand together against police brutality, not just white for white and black for black.

• @ShaeNielson
      Good. Then do it. But until you do, it's a bit asinine for you to try to derail the efforts of those who are.

Most Helpful Girl

• Exactly. We know that all lives matter. This hashtag is just to the system and ignorant people, telling them that our lives matter just as much as the cops who's history is never spoken of who killed the unarmed man whose record is plastered on every newspaper. Just because it doesn't include you, doesn't mean its against you..

What Guys Said 26

• Black man here.

Umm, because our lives only seem to matter when a WHITE MAN TAKES THEM or when someone of our RACE IS DEAD in general other than that we treat ourselves like legit savages everyday all over social media. Ya know it is kinda as if we have #AnyCompassionForOurFellowBlacks i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• 586 × 458 - games. espn. go. com

• @Bandit74 If I were there I would have wrecked every one of those women in defense of the one. And by wrecked, I mean lethal force.

That is a deadly situation and there is no justification for a beat-down like that. She could have died. That absolutely warrants the escalation of force all the way to the ceiling.

• This shit routinely goes over people's heads it's crazy.. Of course all human life matters but that's not the fucking point of the message. The message is to draw attention to and remind people of the fact that to society some lives have more value than others due to the color of our skin.

Let's put it in the form of an analogy so that all the slow people can understand. Let's say someone is a humanitarian who takes it upon themselves to elevate the poor and disenfranchised in some distant corner of the world.. What if some well off people in Sweden were like "what the fuck? Why are you focusing attention on them? Our lives matter too!" You would tell that privileged person to go to hell wouldn't you? Just because you're helping out one group of people doesn't mean you think less of everyone else! Think before you speak people! Show some empathy instead of being self centered.

• You are more than just right. I saw something and it was like saying that people in a cancer treatment benefit saying that Cancer lives matter and than people who have the common cold interrupt and say WELL common cold lives matter too! and then start chanting common cold lives matter over cancer lives.

That's a flawed analogy.

Let's do it again. Let's take France, not Sweeden (I'm not familiar with Sweeden).

Say some privileged dude went off to give some humanitarian aid to people in some far of corner of the world. Then someone came to them and was like "Why are you focusing your attention on them? French lives matter too!"

You could tell them to go to hell. But did you know that there are people in France living in severe poverty and abject living conditions, in tents under highway bridges with kids and all.

Let's take that analogy back to blacklivesmatter. All lives do matter. I'm sorry you can't lump every white person into the "privileged" category, you can't convenietely forget other minorities, native americans, latinos, indians, pakis, middle easterners, Asians who can all also face the same kind of prejudiced treatment because of where they're from.

All lives matter. Saying black lives matter is divisive.

@hueyF your analogy is also flawed. You're equating the black problems to a cancer and common cold to the rest of people's problems, one is distinctely more severe than the other. Don't you see how seeing things like that is discriminatory and divisive?

You really think latinos, or "white trash" don't face the same kind of treatment that blacks in disenfranchised neighbourhoods do when confronted to law enforcement?

If you do, either you're deluded, or you have access to facts I don't, and I'd really like to see those facts.

A better analogy would be this there's a hospital (which represents the cops), and there's a large cancer affected portion of the population. And a movement starts #BreastCancerMatters, and there's all that noise to get doctors to treat breast cancer patients, but stomach cancer and testicular cancer patients are never mentionned. They're just in the background. Would you really blame them for saying, "well we matter too"

• 10|11
  • Because it's discriminating and hypocrite.
    Why is it discriminating? Because you're saying that only black lives matter, while the rest don't matter, at least not as much as black lives. Imagine if it was #whitelivesmatter, yeah, that'll be racist right? That's what I thought.

Why is it hypocrite? Well, ask that to the black people that get killed every night by black people, just in Chicago. If black lives matter so much, why the heck are blacks the ones killing blacks? Why kill your own?

You're just a kid, grow up.

• "Why kill your own? " Yup same thing I said on my post in the comments section.

"This is what fucks me up the most though "you'd think that the safest place for #BLACK people would be in the #HOOD right? Ya know amongst our own... yet it's totally the opposite for us". Since all we have to do is walk down the wrong street and our #life is gone just like that, BY OUR OWN KIND over some complete BS that we probably had nothing to do with in the 1st place #ItHappensInMyCityWayToOften

HAHAHA so yeah black lives definitely matter (sarcasm) #ImDone ^_^. "

• @modernism Brown fled after the first shot in the car. Then he turned and charged. Wilson fired 6 shots while Brown was charging. The last killed him and he fell forward face down with his momentum. That's been the story all along. I am actually countering each story you advance with evidence that proves it false. He was never shot in the back. All four autopsies (including the federal one everyone was screaming for and the one hired by the Brown family) proved he was never shot in the back. Brown ran after the frost shot in the car, Wilson fired six when he charged back at him as proven by the 25 foot blood trail on the street and the fact that the autopsies show he was not shot with his hands up or in the back.

• Expressio unius est exclusio alterius

• I know right? I think some people just assume the BlackLivesMatter movement is trying to somehow push other races to the aside when this isn't the case at all. The movement is to call attention to the police brutality inflicted on blacks at a more significant race than other races and support the victims and their families.

• Because accord to this organization of whatever you want to call it, black lives only matter when a white individual effects/takes a black individuals life. There is so much ignorance going around with all of this due to the media feeding the general public with nonsense. In reality all lives do matter, so that is the reason people of all races not just white want to change this to all lives matter.

• according*

• No problem, @hueyF. I seem to be using that analogy a lot now-a-days. I guess some people just can't stand to see that for once, they aren't included, so they cry "RACISM" while ignoring the fact that innocent lives are being taken. But yeah, you're welcome. : )

• #blacklivesmatter campaigners are fully aware of the fact that all lives matter and if all lives did in fact matter then there would be no #blacklivesmatter. The analogy was spot on and i saw something similar to it online and even commented someone using something similar to it.

• they're white, racist, and retarded. Too stupid to realize what it's actually saying.

• so i'm a retarded racist because i support equality? that's what alllivesmatter is..

• Damn all this bullshit up here^ 😂

• Expressio unius est exclusio alterius

Figure out what that shit means, Genius. I've bee plastering it all over this post.

• #NowWho'sbeingracist

• As a black American,

I mus say, it is interesting how many nonblack people are threatened and SCARED of any type or form of black empowerment... like we are some militia force aiming to overthrow the American government and ruin the American Dream for everyone.

Why so much intent on keeping blacks from empowering themselves via a simple hashtag movement, to signify that we shouldn't be treated as second class citizens?

• Okay, professor.
      "Expressio unius est exclusio alterius"
      Why is this so important it's preserved in a dead language?

• 1|3
  • Because it is nonsense.

• Why is it nonsense?

• LOL just let this guy marinate in his ignorance.

• @itsallover "White commit the most rape, mass murders, and kidnappings."
      Per capita?

• Saw this on Facebook the other day.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8NekbWCcAA8Xk7.jpg

• Except that it implicitly means that ONLY black lives matter. This is so well understood that we keep it in a dead language.
      "Expressio unius est exclusio alterius"
      "The expression of one thing exludes all others."

• jee... after reading some of the comments, i can see the aptitude on GaG to really understand the nuance of matters such as this has really fallen to all times lows

• that is basically saying only black peoples' lives matter, alllivesmatter is saying everyones lives matter, which they do..

• #BlackLivesMatter Isn't saying that. It is obvious that all lives matter but other races aren't being treated so badly by the police in the US, that's what the movement is for. Calling it #AllLivesMatter just defeats the purpose.

• yeah, just pointed that out

• I agree with @chuppachup. #Blacklivesmatter aren't saying that all lives don't matter and if that was the case they would have been saying #onlyblacklivesmatter. I doubt that in the UK this is going on since you aren't aware about it.

• There's a latin phrase, "Expressio unius est exclusio alterius," which means, "The expression of one thing excludes all others."

Essentially, #BlackLivesMatter means that no others do.

• Would you be interested in having a civil discussion about this?

• Because it's stupid. It encourages separation in a nation called THE UNITED STATES.

• you do realize that its shit like this that keeps racism alive right?

• cool story sis... it's a free world.

• thanks for showing how racist it is!

• Mainly because we get sick of "whoa is me, I kill people and I'm upset police hold me accountable, what the fuck, pity me, pity me, pity party everyone" all the damn time. Then when something happens to anyone else other than a black person... we hear nothing.

• I don't think people hate on blacklivesmatter, more less they way some of their members act out like taking over rallies. No need to make my own shit when their is a cat to do it for me.
    http://k44.kn3.net/8/D/3/0/0/8/C90.gif

• 3|1
    • No, it is analogy to a particularly inept piece of bread because tasteless, brittle, and having little to no "flavor"(soul) can aptly describe whites' general behavior.
      When you have no general history of oppression then you are not motivated to express yourself; you can't develop from a well of feeling (souless) because it has nothing positive fed into it. Your creativity has always come from the development of another's idea. And when known to create, it comes from a source of chaos. I. E. gunpowder. Gunpowder, developed in Asia, put into iron or steel by western Europe creating the first gun and rifle. "An effective weapon of destruction and force that will let me disregard others' boundaries, traditions, and lives because they may have something I want? Just give me an excuse that will exonerate my conscious from the guilt of wanton destruction I will embrace wholeheartedly!"
      "No prob!! Have you ever heard of this new thing? It's called 'Religion'!!!"
      Need I go on, cracker?

• When I was a kid, I always thought it was because we are pretty much the color of saltines.

• @Transigence saltine is PC speech for White southern racist

• Because according to people like you and that hashtag itself... Police brutality cases only matters if the victim is BLACK and the police officer is WHITE.

How do you feel when a Black cop kills a Black person? You don't care.

How do you feel when a cop regardless of colour kills a White, Latin, Asian or Indian person? You also don't care.

... And how do you feel when a White cop kills a Black person? You'll cry racism, victimise yourself and blame the whole police force and the white race due to actions of a minority.

So to me this "blacklivesmatter" is more like black supremacist group filled with racial double standards, which is why I choose not to support that movement.

• Because people don't get it. They don't see that race matters to people. They don't see that people are treated differently due to their race.

• They are just ignorant. Duh all lives matter. No damn shit Sherlock. However, we all know there are people out there who are more "expendable" to people than others due to race.

• The movement's apparent indifference to the far more numerous victims of black-on-black crime and defense of people who are themselves criminal thugs doesn't win it much outside sympathy.

This lady says it better than I do:
      http://youtu.be/dG7mZQvaQDk

What Girls Said 14

• You are why we don't like #blacklivesmatter

I know it's a lot for you to understand, little miss entitled, but some people actually believe in equality between the races.

• it's not enough to "believe in it". You have to actually act it out..

• It's not likely to be investigated regardless of race, as the American police force is incompetent. @normalice

• and for some reason, blacks are disproportionately targeted, and for some likely not unrelated reason, those cases are disproportionately not investigated. Perhaps it would have been more politically correct if, instead, their hashtag was #blacklivesmattertoo but I suppose that ship has sailed..

• The #alllivesmatter hashtag is a lot more positive and equal. If the hashtag #whitelivesmatter was made, you would no doubt call out on it, calling it racism and ask what about the other races? Your hashtag is just outcasting one race when it's not necessary. All lives do matter, whatever colour. That's the point we should be getting across, not just focusing on black people. White people deal injustices too.

• I don't think people are understanding this - ABSOLUTELY NO ONE IS SAYING THAT ONLY BLACK LIVES MATTER. NO. ONE. We all know that everyone's lives matter.

People are simply focusing on the fact that right now, black lives are the ones being continuously shot down. Saying #alllivesmatter over #blacklivesmatter is like going to a Breast Cancer 5k and holding up a sign that says "CURE ALL DISEASES". Um... okay... you're right, but we're running for breast cancer right now. People are simply staying on topic. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

• This is a better analogy then mine.. haha

• Haha, I think it's a pretty good comparison for this topic. Yours was probably great too. : ) What was it?

• #AllLivesMatter hmmmm would the Native Americans on reservations agree with that? How about Mexican immigrants who are constantly being made to feel that they are a social problem? What about men getting raped in prison who are mocked at and commonly the butt of a joke? What about all the aborted babies? It’s interesting how some people want to passive aggressively, subliminally use #AllLivesMatter as some sort of defensive retort when in actual reality, they know damn well that NOT ALL LIVES MATTER EQUALLY IN THIS WORLD. PERIOD. The reality is that in America, “blue lives” and “white lives” have ALWAYS mattered; Black lives have not. That is the point. That is the ORIGIN of the saying. It's really disgusting and self-centered when people try to dismiss legitimate harmful social struggles especially when they're hundreds of years old.

• We don't hate them, we hate those who preach division. YES, black lives matter, but all lives matter. Black Lives Matter have made it pretty clear they don't believe that all lives matter. Should they tone down their rhetoric and make it more about unity, they'd get a lot more support.

• Yeah then they are like "BLURGH NO ALL LIVES MATTER."

It is annoying as fuck. Either they don't get the point, they are down playing the issue, or they are just asswholes

• Because people hate feeling left out, and love to be victimised.

• The folks saying this don't seem to realize that people other than black folks aren't being killed while in police custody. It's really insensitive and ignorant. Whenever a black person speaks out against injustice someone of another color has to pass it off as, "pulling the race card."
    These people will go out of their way to beat you down and make you feel like what you stand for is meaningless, and treat it like a joke. I'm tired of it.

• I agree, they don't ban homosexual abominations like ellen but they ban black lives matter. Typical.

• they do it with all things... because being politically correct and sounding cool is much more important than having a brain

• Because all lives matter. It's sad that you're so narrow minded that you can't see that. You're so focused on 'your people', you're forgetting the bigger picture. And it's just a fucking hashtag. Get the fuck over it

• Ugh, that's not the point of the flipping hashtag. Of course we know all lives matter, it's just that black people's lives are being disproportionately targeted. If you can't get that, then you're the narrow minded one.

• and yet you're the one bitching about it online. Do something meaningful with your life

• There would be no #blacklivesmatter if all lives matter. You are right @itsallover in fact blacks have been facing injustice for more than a decade (slavery, jim crows, KKK, black codes, lynchings, and now shootings)

• Probably because blacklivesmatter protesters interupted Bernie at two different venues. The second time was so bad he had to move across the street to give his speech.

• I don't know, I don't use hash tags. Maybe some are racist, which is why they are hating on it while others want equality for all. Some might not know how bad it has been in certain communities. So I do understand the reasoning for hashtagblacklivesmatter and hope those that are using it are doing it for a positive reason. I do agree that all lives matter, though. Doesn't matter the race or sex.