People say America is the worst, but is it?

I am what you call a "true patriot." I choose to believe we are not the worst country, because there can be worse out there. People say we are the most racist country on Planet Earth, but looking at history, we are nowhere near being the first country to own slaves, NOR the LAST. People say America is intolerant, but I want to know what you think: Is America the worst country on planet earth like people say it is?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never heard of anyone actually saying that America is the worst country in the world. If, indeed, there are people who do say that, you shouldn't take them serious already because they're totally generalizing things (and it's not fun to have discussions with people who generalize).
    Personally, I've lived in America for about 1,5 years and I feel like I'm very informed about American culture. In fact, I've even become a little American myself in the time I lived there. However, I do have what I'd call a love-hate relationship with the US. There are things I like a lot about American and things I will never understand. I think my biggest love aspect connected with the US is its nature. I've travelled around America quite a bit and I think it would be hard for anyone to deny its natural beauty and diversity. Whether you're hiking in the vast forests of the north west, marvelling at the deep Canyons in southern California and Utah, sweating in the huge desert of Nevada or in the equally huge but very differently looking desert of Texas and New Mexico, whether you're watching the gators in the swamps of Florida or Louisiana or spending the night in the creepy-beautiful countryside of the Appalachian mountains, whether you're living in European-looking New England or in the flat nothingness of the midwest... it's simply amazing how much there is to see and to love in terms of flora, fauna, lakes, river, rocks, mountains, valleys, canyons forests... etc.
    I also like the American people and their mentality a lot, though I don't find their opinions easy to bare sometimes.
    On the other hand, I'm a very big critic of American politics (both domestic and foreign) and also of several socio-cultural aspects of America.
    While I don't think that America is the worst (which, again, is very generalizing), I do think there are certain problems that are both unworthy and shameful for a country such as America.

I believe the two major reasons many of these shameful problems exist and are not acted upon are many Americans' inability to inform themselves about the rest of the world and, even more annoyingly, many Americans' extremely sentimentalist and overbearing patriotism. I am aware of the fact that this is a very European opinion but I can't see what's good about patriotism. I'm happy that I live in Switzerland but I'd never say I love my country. Patriotism - particularly in America, where it is often confused with outright nationalism - tends to make people react

• sulkily to even the most constructive criticism. How many times have I criticized American politics or culture, only to hear stuff like "why do you even care, you're a foreigner" or "if you don't like it, go back to your country". Criticizing Americans about some aspect of American culture or society or politics is equally dangerous to giving your girlfriend an honest opinion if she wears a weird dress and asks you how you like it. Of course there are sulky people who can't take criticism about their country everywhere in the world but America seems to be the only place where it's a mass phenomenon... where, despite all the supposedly numerous freedoms, you constantly have to watch your mouth. I find this attitude particularly sad because it is not only childish and annoying but most importantly, it makes progress impossible. I feel like sometimes the world criticizes America rightfully and instead of saying "okay you got a point there", Americans immediately scream "go fuck yourself!"

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 11

• No way! If people think America is the worst, they need to take a look at third world countries, to realise how privileged they are!

• America sure has its fair share of problems but then all countries have some issues. To say it is the worst country in the whole world is simply not true, there are worst places to live. For example third world countries.

• I think America is most under the spotlight - What I mean anything bad is always picked up - It is like everything there is good and bad wherever you go. No place can claim to be the best or be called the worst.

• It's neither the worst nor the best.
    Just like any other country it has its good sides and bad. A country will likely not be the best performing in every single category, nor the worst.

• Only what...3% of the worlds population, but 25% of the worlds prisoners.
    We are the only country in the world to use Nuclear weapons on another country... and we used them on civilian populations.

We instigate wars, manufacture false flag events, and we're creating laws that makes Hitler jealous. Only worse nation I could possibly think of than the US is Israel.

• Let me clarify: that nuke was because the people of that country were being impossible to deal with without possibly millions dying. Truman made the only decision he could.

• You do know that the United States initially began sanctioning off Japan to instigate their retaliation on Pearl Harbor, right?

• @Word_and_Wisdom yes but Japan's goal in bombing Pearl Harbor was to try and make sure the West didn't interfere with their conquest. And Japan can't get away with massacring innocent people of other countries (which they did,) raping, murdering, torturing, just for more land, all in the name of their emperor.

• It is not the worst, but their healthcare system is horrible. The right side of the parliament does everything to keep them back by 150 years of social development.

• Really, No I don't believe we are. We have laws and rules that people do not agree with. And our foreign and domestic policies and govt does suck. But other places have it worse than we do.

• Worst country? I disagree with some of their governments but it's not the worst country

• Actually there is nothing like the best ir the worst country every country got its type and it's identity and it's culture

• The only thing patriotism has ever achieved it to send young people to their graves and make armaments industries wealthier in the process.

Nobody thinks the USA is the worst, what most people don't like is the insane belief that the USA is the best, at anything and any dissent on the matter from within is considered unpatriotic and traitorous. US citizens, including myself have so many delusions about what the USA is, what it means and how it actually is.

• We are the most ignorant for our wealth and quite racist but no not the worst.

• Hmm. America is one of the most powerful if not the most powerful. It is also known to have corruption. Does that give it the notion of being the worst? I don't know man.