To those who know multiple languages, whats the best piece of advice you can offer to those trying to learn?

I only know English, and am now attempting to learn Spanish. Whats the best piece of advice you can offer about learning a new language?

Most Helpful Girl

• Learn a language that you actually love.
    Practice makes perfect so speak to natives and don't be too worried about the mistakes that you might make while talking to them; they might correct you, and this will stick to your mind,
    listen to music in that language,
    watch movies, shows or news in that language,
    read something that interests you in that language
    because this motivates you to keep reading and find out new vocab,
    write to people who speak the language so you learn from your mistakes.
    Learn a little about the culture, because some expressions you might not understand without understanding the culture.
    Maybe if you have the ability, you can travel to the country that speaks the language and this will help you learn some uncommon slangs as well.

• I'll definitely be watching some movies in Spanish. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Loan or buy Spanish spoken movies on DVD , and look at them with the Spanish subtitles (for the deaf).
    Some TV chains in Spanish can furnish Spanish subtitles too.

Frequent native Spanish speakers.
    Readd a lot in Spanish.

What Girls Said 18

• Watch telenovelas :) even if you need to put on subtitles.

Also, you can practice Spanish with me :D

• I've learned 3 foreign languages and can tell that the most importaint thing is desire. If that's what you really want, you'll succeed. It's also importaint to realise if you remember new information better by seeing or by hearing it. I go by hearing, so I was listening to the radio and music, listen to some movies. I used to read some books out loud, so it helped me a lot too. Find also some native speaker who'll be willing to help you. You might write them little letters about your day or anything else and they'll find and correct your mistakes.

• Think in that language. Or, try to... When you're by yourself or whenever, just talk to yourself in the language... It doesn't matter if your grammar isn't perfect, it's more about getting familiar with it.
    Watch shows (no captions!), radio, etc.
    As long as you're dedicated, you'll be good. Bonne chance :)

• Learn a language which you love/have a passion for. Don't be afraid to speak it even if it's wrong, everyone make mistakes. Never give up, no matter how difficult it is. Practice makes perfect, remember that.

• of course the best way to learn (IMO) is to become fully immersed in that language but obviously that's not always possible. what you can do though is try to THINK in that language. Try not to think in English and then translate it mentally to Spanish because then you will be constantly comparing the 2 languages. Also I'd talk to myself in Spanish or listen to podcasts in Spanish or just anything to get my mind used to hearing it and producing the sounds.

• Talk, look words up and make sentences and try them out, practice with someone who does know the language and let them help you, like when you're sitting at the table try asking someone to pass the spoon, knife etc do that in different situations or in a mall ask for a price or color of a shoe (to the person you're with) thats how I slowly learned by just speaking and asking and looking up on the internet, dont be afraid for mistakes!

• Consistency is the key! Also, you have to speak... a lot: alone or with a friend, it doesn't matter, but you have to do it! I failed to do that so right now my spoken English is super rusty :( Keep in mind that Spanish is a pretty complicated language (even for native speakers) but don't give up

• When I started learning English, I really wanted to speak it fluently. So that's important. I translated my favorite songs and watched movies with subtitles, that's what helped the most. Then later I started reading English books.
    But it's also way easier when you're younger. I have Spanish in school right now and I'm not into it at all :( I already speak 3 languages, I don't want another one :D

• immersion is really the best (and fastest) way

if you can't travel to a spanish-speaking place, next bet is Livemocha, watching nothing but Univision, and speaking Spanish everytime you go to your local mexican store

• Always know how to ask where the bathroom is when learning a new language

• Try watching foreign movies and listening to foreign songs.
    I basically learned french that way.

• Watch TV shows and movies, read books and especially talk with people that their first language is the language they are learning. I learned Spanish from books tho

• Just practice it everyday. Speak it to people who don't even know what u aRe saying

• hear it a lot through different sources (if there is a recording of slow speaking or w/e or slow pace song that would be even better to start with and then go faster over time) even if there is subtitles (also can be great for a start... perfect would be slow speaking with subtitles.. not retarded slow though lol)

try to read a lot in it

practice it as much as possible

work your absolute hardest in the first levels of the language because that's your base it needs to be strong as possible

• You need to actually speak with other people in that language for it to truly stick. There's one language I technically know fluently. I pretty much understand everything I hear and read. But when it comes to actually talking it? I'm absolute shit. I've been learning it since I was about 5 years old, so for 15 years and I still can't talk properly. I can hold a decent conversation but I still forget some of the most basic words and I have a hard time with grammar sometimes. Which is frustrating because like I said, I still understand practically everything. I just don't remember certain things when it's actually my turn to speak.
    So speaking is very important. Whenever you get the chance, use it. Don't be afraid of saying the wrong thing. It's embarrassing yes but those are critical moments when you'll learn new things. You'll remember those moments, and you might look back at them and feel embarrassed for what you said wrong, but remember that you also learned something from it and that that knowledge will stick with you forever now.
    Something you should also do is tell people to correct you. A lot of people are afraid of correcting those who are learning a new language because they think it'll discourage them or distract them from continuing. To hell with that, it will only make you get used to saying the wrong things and after a while, it might be very difficult and time consuming to teach yourself to say the right things when you're used to the wrong things. So don't be afraid of letting them know that you're a beginner and that you'd love it if they helped you out and corrected you.
    Read lots of books and watch lots of movies/series (without English subtitles).

• Music helps, a lot. My second language is german and I found myself in love with the language, so I found music that I like as well. Helps you get phrases down and see grammar at its work.
    I also would listen to a radio station out of Berlin each morning as I got ready to work and eventually found myself understanding what the talk show hosts were talking about without having to translate to English in my head.
    Now I dream in German and fully understand and I also remember words in german but not in English, my mother language.
    Another thing, is fully throw yourself into the country that speaks the language. Don't use your first language at all use theirs.

• It's better to learn it as a child in my opinion. I learned Spanish as a kid and it has stuck eversince. I tried to learn Italian in high school and it never stuck

• well im not a kid anymore soooo

• He stayed there for a year

• I believe he lived with a French family while he was in college https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9TlvTh0GI

• make sure you have someone that also knows the language so you can practice.

What Guys Said 4

• Don't expect to learn everything in a day.
    and move to a place, where the locals speak it. ^.^

• Learn everyday at least a little

When i was learning croatian i tried to find ways how to remember words, for example citati is reading and because it made me think of the word citaat (citation) i rememered it. Maybe you can try the same.

• My way to learn English was to get on the internet a lot (I can write and speak English almost fluently now) but I'm afraid that's not going to get you to learn other languages.

• one key word that helped me when i study anything repitition, do it over and over again until you learn from it