Do you think you would live a better life if you let go of all your desires?

Desires of anything and everything. If you just let it go and only care about the things you need instead of the things you want. Even letting go of attachments to other people and relationships. Is desire the rout of suffering?

• Yes, I would live a happier life
  • No, that's not what living is about

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, you're basically talking about Buddhismus, aren't you. ;-) (though there have also been philosophical schools in ancient Greece that proposed a similar lifestyle). I was into Buddhism quite a bit when I was a teenager before eventually becoming an atheist and I believe they have some pretty interesting concepts and ideas but I don't think that particular way of living would work for me. Yet, I can imagine that this core idea of Buddhism is indeed true because as you let go of desires, you also let go of many worries. A good example is trying to stop being materialistic. I've heard of many people who actively tried to stop being a part of our materialistic, consumerist, western society. Because the more stuff you buy, the more you want. And the more you want, the less happy you are. Also, the more stuff you own, the more you have to worry about it. You have to worry that it might get stolen, you have to take care of some of it, you have to replace it, you have to clean it, you have to store it somewhere... etc. etc.. There's a guy in Germany who, about 15 years ago, decided to sell everything he had... his house, his car, his furniture, his electronics, his clothes... everything. He even put his passport into an envelope, along with a letter stating that he wants to give up his citizenship (which of course, is not possible legally speaking) and sent it to the government. He then moved to the forest, built himself a small shelter (not a cottage, more like a very primitive, open shelter against the wind and snow) and has since lived there completely immersed into nature, spending his days sleeping, reading, strolling around in the forest and gathering food and eating whatever he can find (berries, roots, mushrooms... but also insects, worms and snails). The German government has since started several attempts to make him live up to his duties as a citizen, such as paying his taxes but he also gave up his money, so he can't pay it. They even once sent a guy from the debt enforcement department to him into the forest, to take away some of his stuff and make it into cash... but they had to find out that this guy doesn't own anything, hence there was nothing they could take from him. As for as I know, the German government has now given up its attempts to make him come back to civilization and they just leave him alone. I once saw an interview with him and he seems like a very interesting and smart guy but personally, I wouldn't be able to live like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• what there to live for then?

What Guys Said 7

• It could work for a while, but I'm sure the desires would eventually return. It's basic human nature.

• Desire is good but kept in moderation - It is the desire to live life that gets us out of bed each morning

• Yes! If only I wasn't forced to romantically and sexually desire anymore!!! I could avoid dating and all the headache my lack of success and hate for in it causes me!

• Yes! Desire us the root of suffering.

Surprises me that I an in the minority. Most people are quite materialistic these days.

• In principle yes. If your happiness isn't linked to attatchments no one can take it away.

• It would be boring

• Living is to have desires and seek them.

• Sounds like losing all hope.

• The hope would be to be free of physical needs and weaknesses I assume.

What Girls Said 0