Why do many white people do this?

Over they years, I have encountered white people who make racially insensitive comments about people of color, then brag about how great their tan is... or that they need a tan. What is this about?

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol. "Everybody wants to be a nigga, but nobody wants to be a nigga."

What Girls Said 1

• I have never come across that.

What Guys Said 6

• sub-conscious hypocrisy probably

• Apparently looking orange or like your skin is made from gold like the d bags on Jersey Shore or the Kardashians is better than people with different skin color

• Dark skin is hot, but originally dark skinned people don't have the same features as white people do, that is the main problem.

• How is that a "problem"?

• Pardon my English, I meant to say main difference.

• Ok, I understand!

• Some people like to be tan. What sort of insensitive remarks? I've found white people who are bigoted against blacks are not so much prejudiced against their color as against other characteristics which their prejudiced mind associates with black people.

• That is not exclusive to white people, everyone does that in their own form or another.

• So... everyone makes racially insensitive comments... and then brags about getting a tan or wanting a tan? I don't understand your point.

• Please read my question again... I was asking why do many white people make racially insensitive comments AND brag about tanning or want to tan. It makes no sense to me because if someone doesn't like people of color, then why would they take the steps to look like a person of color?

• I see what you mean now, the answer you're probably looking for is that they are being hypocritical or racist, in an indirect way, but this appears to be in your case solely. I'm sure others have experienced what you have, but it may not be as common to the general public, perhaps case by case.