Despite so many needless massacres and a ridiculous amount of gun related crimes- why does America still have an obsession over guns?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a good question. I've always wondered why, for years on end, they'll be a news headline about a horrendous shooting in America then about how they're looking into the use and distribution of firearms when they can't be; it's been going on for decades.

What Girls Said 1

• Guns are not the problem. People were still massacring each other before guns even existed. Before guns, people were killing each other in more brutal, gory ways. Men and women in prison still find a way to craft weapons without having access to guns. Tribes STILL find a way to create harmful weaponry without firing a gun. The reality is that human beings are a violent species who will always be clever, intelligent, and calculated enough to find deadly alternatives to deal with each other. At this point of society, getting rid of guns is just going to leave a massive amount of people defenseless against the crazies.

What Guys Said 5

• I think this one of those issues where the two sides look at things totally different - As we are both from Ireland we probably think that having no gun culture keeps gun crime at very low levels and bringing guns in will increase these levels. Whereas in the states many feel since the criminal has a gun, they should have an equal or better gun. It all depends on if you feel the genie is out of the lamp and is not getting back in or gun control can somehow restrain the genie.

• KDA, I grew up in Derry with my family having past allegiances with the RIRA, so i know very well about guns, and violence. And though yours is wise counsel about different mentalities, i just cannot fathom it.

I will give you an example, I live in Australia currently, and they had a shocking massacre in 96 ( Port Arthur massacre ). it lead to all automatic and semi automatic guns being banned and stringent regulations brought in for any one wanting to obtain another firearm. That was nigh on 20 year ago, and no similar massacres since...

Do the math?

• "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

my professor quoted that last week too.

• It's implanted on their culture, as tabacco... it's very complicated because they have the arggument that guns dont kill people, people kill people...

The problem is that... crazy people exist, so they have the power to make it happen seriously.

And it's that old law in constitution... that say people have the right to have weapons so that bad governments dont do sh**, or something like that.

It's very very complicated...

• i get all that, but there is so much that is blatantly obvious that defies all this. But they still cannot see it

From an outsider it borders on perverse

• The republicans would say yes to guns just to piss off Obama...

• I wouldn't say I was obsessed, as in thinking about guns a lot. I almost never think about them. I don't see a gun massacre as any more horrible than an equal number of individual killings, or other serious violent crimes. It would be irrational to do so. Why should it matter if people are killed all at once or individually?
    The question is do guns do more to prevent or exacerbate violence and the death or maiming of innocent people. I don't know, the statistics and situation seem equivocal to me.
    Then there is the question of even if they are more of a danger than a benefit are they enough more dangerous to justify taking them from people who gain a legitimate advantage from them. In other words at what point does the majority have the right to deprive the minority of a tool they have a legitimate use for on the grounds it is a public danger. I'm sure there is such a point but I don't think guns meet it.
    It seems to me a lot of people are either irrationally fearful of guns or, having allowed themselves to be deprived of guns in their own country are uncomfortable with the fact and wish others to be like them to relieve the nagging suspicion that they have indeed surrendered an important right they should have retained.

• It's the 2nd amendment!