Have you ever attempted suicide?

We're you seeking attention or did you really want to die? What method did you use? And why. What was your thought when you thought you really were about to die? Did you feel regret at the last minute? And, how did you feel when you realized it didn't work, are you great full to be alive?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, but I've thought about it before. And I am so glad that I never decided to go through with any of those thoughts.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I have a few times, and I did not do it for attention. I suffer from bipolar disorder which consists of episodes of mania (just imagine being high on coke constantly. you don't sleep, you don't eat, you're full of ideas, can't stop talking, insane sex drive, prone to bursts of anger, every sense is insanely heightened, you feel like you can literally conquer the world. The length of the episodes vary from person to person and full blown mania only happens to some sufferers.. others go through what is known as hypomania which is similar just not as intense.) and episodes of severe depression. If I'm unmedicated I can have these spells and they last for months, with stable periods inbetween. During the depression periods I will sleep nearly sixteen hours a day, cut contact with nearly all of my loved ones, and eventually get suicidal. If a person is actually contemplating suicide they aren't likely to tell anyone, because they don't want to be stopped. Those who do tell aren't exactly attention seekers, it could just be a cry for help, but there are exceptions to every rule. Everytime I attempted suicide I told no one, and would try to make it look like an accident so none of my loved ones would blame themselves. I would try to OD on purpose, or drink myself to death over a few month long spree (which is called aggravated suicide). There were many occasions during these times where I would pray I wouldn't wake up and I would get very angry when I did, or worse, if somebody found me and got me to a hospital. Because they were such stoopers I dont remember much before falling asleep.

I finally had enough and sought treatment and I am very thankful for it. My life has completely turned around. I found a medication "cocktail" that worked for me, moved, and am in love with a guy who loves me for me, and understands me inside and out. Things are far from perfect, but I'm alive and getting better and better everyday. Those who say suicide is for the weak don't know the half of it.

• Awesome words. Maybe using this and more on a "Mytake" would make a difference and help someone. Cheers and congrats on feeling better and doing better.

What Guys Said 13

• To explain I'll tell the short version of my story.
    After a long period of childhood abuse (both physical and mental), being bullied, beat up, abandoned, neglected, and you know. The usual stuff that most kids with terrifying pasts have that you only hear about in shows like SVU. After all of that, I decided it was time to go, and I attempted to take my life by overdosing with 100 Excedrin.
    I had planned my suicide to be timed so that my step-dad would come home to find my body instead of my mom. Since he was a tough bastard. He would be able to take the mental shock of it all, and deal with my body accordingly.
    My attempt to kill myself wasn't out of the desire to just be dead. My attempt came from many things, but mainly stemming from my bi polar, abusive parents, bullies at my school, and my best friend dying years ago. Even though I was medicated, and it helped a little bit. My bi polar was so bad that I didn't know what to do. My parents threw me aside as if I was crazy, and the only person who would listen to me was the doctor they sent me to to get me out of their hair. So, I tried my best to talk to him, and opened up about a lot. Eventually, he found out that I was bi-polar, made sure I received the right meds, and tried to do his best to make sure he was available when I needed him. Which helped greatly over time.
    The attempt came to being when I realized that finances were tough, and I couldn't see the doc as much as I was needing. With my step-dad losing his job, and taking it out on me, and my mom putting in a lot of hours at work... leaving me with my abusive step-dad. I eventually caved, and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. I had tried reaching out to my other family members, and friends, but no one took me seriously. I wanted to call my doctor, but was afraid he would be disappointed in me (I know dumb, but I was young), and so I ended up buying the pills, popping them and going to sleep.
    I awoke the next morning to my mom dragging me to the car to go to the hospital. Took me 3 weeks to back on my feet, and back home, but I did it. Doctor said I should have died, but I didn't, and I'm very happy I didn't. I'm engaged now to a beautiful woman, have an incredible job, and have Jesus as a boyfriend.
    To answer your questions directly, No I wasn't seeking attention. My method was to overdose. Why I did it was to be free. My thoughts were blissful. No regrets, and still none to this day. I'm happy to be alive, and I'm glad I finally woke up.

• Yes , I've pissed my dad off a few times in my life. Hugged a tiger. Jumped off a cliff and more.

I guess you can say I'm not too far off from death.

I also jaywalk.

• No one wants to live but ur life doesn't wanna die yet. Thats what ur body and mind is telling u when ur thinken about ending ur own life so most people juz lived on to see the day when believe they have found true happiness once again.

• I really wanted to die
    I tried haning myself
    I didn't really think of anything
    No I did not regret it
    No I wasn't greatfull to be alive but I'm not on medicine and Dont feel suicidal anymore

• I was at a point where i was really really suicidal. And i did plan out how and when i was going to kill myself. but i never even tried it. Im okay now though

• Im not lying when i say this and i told my mom the day she dies im committing suicide
    i can't go on without her and i mean it..

• i was like.. hey this guy sounds just like me...

seconds later,

Oh this was me..

• I've never even thought of it. I would say I'm a mentally strong person.

• Yep. Almost stopped my heart once.

• I was more about mutilation but there was one time i made preparations

• i never considered it.

• I've wanted to hundreds of times

• Yes but glad I didn't fulfill it. If there are people out there that are serious about doing it just remember that there are people out there who have it worse like people starving to death and desire to live. If you make yourself useful to them it will make you feel better. "It is blessed to give than to receive"

• No I never have attempted suicide. I've felt depressed before.

What Girls Said 1

• We're you seeking attention or did you really want to die?

It's not so much I wanted to die. It was because I couldn't handle all the pain. I just wanted the pain to go away. I wanted the voices in my head that brought up bad memories to silence themselves. The only way for it to stop the voices was for me to stop breathing.

What method did you use? And why.

Well, the first time I took pain reliever meds. I wasn't sure if they would work or not, but they didn't when I woke up the next morning. The next time I tried to use sleeping meds, but my parents found out and took them away and admitted me to a psychiatric hospital to which I stayed in for a month. Then I transferred high schools the year after.

What was your thought when you thought you really were about to die?

I just felt... relieved. I felt a weight was lifting off my shoulders and I could finally be free.

Did you feel regret at the last minute?

No, I didn't, but I hoped my loved ones would be okay without me.

And, how did you feel when you realized it didn't work, are you great full to be alive?

I was upset and cried and freaked out. I'm still not sure how I feel about being alive, but I'm taking medication to keep myself stable.