What do you do when you feel insecure about your looks?

seriously, what do you do? To stop these feelings?

Most Helpful Guy

• You ask your friends about what you look like
    If you don't believe them, because they're friends the 'how do I look' gets you opinions from strangers so, legit

Maybe do some sports, try on some new clothes, shower to feel all fresh again :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Look in the mirror and point out the things you like about yourself, focus on that and then look at the things you don't like about yourself. The things you don't like could easily be fixe most of the time with makeup or excersise.

But really you try your hardest to love yourself as you are. Its all in your head. When you think you look good, you'll believe you'll good and then you'll know you look good.

Remember everyone has a critic and you can't please everyone. You only need to focus on your opinion about your appearance.

Build your self esteem. It can take years but its worth it. Just take it one say at a time.

• That was motivational, I'm trying so hard yet it feels like I matter nothing.. I keep wishing I looked like this or that or something :(
      I just hope these insecurities just die because I know nobody likes to hear anyone complain.

• Glad to hear it. And nah its ok. Thats what I do. You could have 5 million people telling you you are gorgeous and pretty but you'll focus on that 1 person who said you were ugly.

People tend to focus on all the negatives than than the positives.

Insecurity will only die when you learn to like what you don't like about yourself or when you change it and it becomes non existent.

You have a lovely face and you look to be petite so you have a lot to work with :) you'll be fine

• Thanks for mho! 🌹

What Guys Said 49

• 3|2
  • Well in that case you should start working on your looks, and yes you can upgrade your looks to a certain extent, be it your skin, you can work on it to make it smoother, remove pimples, acnes and so on,. If you think it's your hairstyle then that can also be fixed, you can try a better hairstyle, if you think it's your physique even that can be worked upon with, you can tone your body by going to gym, if you really want to remove your insecurities about your looks, then you have work towards making yourself feel secure as far as looks are concerned, this is the long-term solution to insecurities regarding physical looks. Plus you shouldn't compare yourself with others, because everyone has a different bone structure, a different genetic structure, and looks are in the genetics so what I would comparisons are not good, it will only lead you to take more stress and stress isn't good for your health either. Hence work on your looks but try not to compare yourself with others and as I said looks are in the genetics so beyond a certain you can't upgrade your looks and you need to accept that. This way you stop feeling insecure.

Another option is you can distract yourself by doing any activities that makes you happy, going out for a movie (alone), doing solo activities or anything that comes to your mind, this way you can stop that feeling but it's a temporary measure, a short-lived solution, and the feelings will once again return over time, hence go for the long term solution rather than just trying to manage temporarily, I know following the long term solution is not easy but that's the best way.

That's my suggestion.

• Whenever I'm having a "fat" day or "I don't feel very attractive today" day, I:

1. Stop eating, and,

2. Go the gym - no matter what.

Eventually, the opposite thought will pop into my head:

1. It's not healthy to not eat anything.

2. Why don't you weigh yourself?

3. (weigh myself)

4. Dude, you're fine.

5. (look in the mirror)

6. Dude, you're fine.

7. Realize that for as long as I'm watching what I'm eating and continuing to work out (i. e., doing things that are within my control), then I'll look the best I can possibly look without surgery.

I guess if it gets any worse than that in terms of my thinking, then it's probably time to go see a professional therapist.

• well i am insecure about my skinny legs, so i started training legs twice a week
    i am also insecure about my bicep to tricep ratio so i make sure to not over train triceps...

uhm, i am insecure about my back hair so i get waxed every month

thats how i stop the feelings, i work on them
    plus i have seen you, you look pretty

• You're insecure about some things, I'm insecure about every damn thing.
      God, I hate this.

• Genie died, but- her ghost is haunting gag ;p lol

• Then I will love her ghost 😲😍

• When i feel any insecurities i look at this motivational poster in my office as a reminder.
    wanderingtummie.com/.../...ne-awesome-barney-2.jpg

• To the gym to train even harder then before.

s2.quickmeme.com/.../...6dcf85dae276930f8e396b.jpg

• I don't think i have anything to be insecure about...

The only thing that i would be, is weight gain and excess body fat... which of course i proceed to do something about.

Acceptance is the last and dead end solution, I'm never gonna stop fighting to change what i don't like. I even managed to change a little bit of my nose shape 😂

• Try to get the best out of what you have without having a surgery. First try working with what mother nature gave you. If you're fat, change the stuff you eat and work out (also if you're not, working out helps getting more confidence). If its your hair, go to an expensive barber one time to get a whole new style, and after that go to cheap ones to keep that style alive. And then maybe after a few months refresh/change up your style again at the expensive barber etc etc. maybe get some tips on how to change your clothing by a professional, not just a friend. Welcome.

• My hair's fine, my body's not fat, my face's alright.
      I just hate it all.

• Look at uglier people and be glad you don't look like them.. IS ONE WAY TO GO!
    (good save. good save!..) Only kidding.

Find a method to ease your thoughts OR
    find THAT motivation to look how you want to look.

;P Good luck love.

• Haha I know it was a joke but seriously when I see girls who look uglier than me, I thank god because I don't look like them.

• I talk to someone small in my family- little sis/ bro/ cousin or even niece or nephew. When they tell you that you look awesome in their soft voices and with their innocent faces.. your insecurities will wash away. Trust me. The one thing one should NOT do is ask for opinions from the internet, Self esteem destroyer- lol. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

• Exercise or study. If I can't count on my looks at least I can try to have good health and intellect...

Volunteering is a great thing to do to feel better when you feel down about yourself!

• You're right, if you want to survive in this world. You either gotta be pretty or intelligent.
      And problem is I'm neither :(
      I'm sick of feeling this way.

• You can get by on hard work as well.

"And problem is I'm neither "

No don't say that! You can always become smart at something just have some faith in yourself. And just because you don't like the way you look doesn't mean others will feel the same way.

• I don't do much i feel insecure a lot i try to make myself look better

Get a new hair style usually helps me

• I just tell myself that as bad as i think i look this is what i got, over time i actually grew to kinda like myself and not full on like "love me im beautiful" but i know i could look worse etc.

Also i think it helped that my girlfriend is beautiful and she says im good looking and have a nice body, that was an ego boost as no one had ever said that before.

• Study/play chess - train tactics, go through Silman's books, play games on chess. com, etc. I do these things anyway as a tournament chess player, but I found that it's extremely effective in getting my mind off of negativity.

• Get an ego! Egotism is very good for you as long as you have the humility to know your limits and to admit when you are wrong.

• I'll do that. That's actually a good suggestion :D

• I don't really care and go about my day as usual. I sometimes may go for a shopping spree but mostly at athletic stores:)

• there's are two types of people insecure about their looks

Those who really are ugly

Those who think they are ugly

that said this is how you know which you are:

If people pay you attention invite you out on dates and actually crush on you : you are imagined uglyness

if people ignore you and you get no attention from attractive people, you are ugly for real, simple as pie

• You are a superficial dick. Nobody is ugly if they are a good person. But your personality seems to lack goodness and acceptance. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror.

• Uglyness has to do with the exterior not this everyone is beautifull bullshit Im ugly and I admit it your looks make you ugly you can be the nicest persona around and if you look bad you look bad case closed

• Make some gains at the gym so your face will matter a little less.

Sometimes I see some unattractive girls, but then see that bum and nothing else matters.

• See pictures of some people who are not so good in looks compared to you this will increase you confidence!!

• Drink until the guy in the mirror looks good again.

• I take a more spiritual/religious approach and remind myself this is the way God made me and he created me in his own image.

• I go to Castro, San Francisco, and let the gay guys drool over my Aussie accent, and the world is suddenly brighter again.

• I don't, because I don't care what other people think of me.

• Shove ma Anti-human face in a pile of mud to renew this U-G-L-Y face

• I lick my fingers and wipe at the crusty bits.

• *looks in the mirror*😐
    "well, it can't get much worse. Which means it can only get better"👌😂

• Remember and remind myself that I'm really beautiful.

• I listen to and sing sad songs.

• well for a start when i kept feeling insecure, i made sure there are no mirrors in my house, whenever i visit my friends house i make sure i broke their mirror with a hammer

• I keep my self distracted with too many things

• More from Guys
    19

What Girls Said 27

• There is always more beautiful or handsome than someone.
    The thing is you have to love yourself as you are.
    Of course we are not perfect but we can be beautiful with these imperfections.
    Accept yourselft. Do not judge yourself. Your looks is given and it is unique. Nooone has it. You are you :)

• LOL. When I feel insecure about my looks? ... LOL. I DON'T. Some people are going to think that I'm cute and others aren't. I don't care. I think I'm pretty.

• I focus on something I really like about myself. For example my eyes. Then I focus on my eyes only, and the rest will become invisible and won't matter.

• I tell to myself to get up, I do my hair, put on some make up and an outfit I know looks good on me, then I go out. After a while I forget it.

I also look for inspiration to women with a similar body type than mine

• Not much You can do but try to fix what you feel insecure about. If its something you can't fix without surgery, unless it is a birth defect, dont change it. Thats how God made you. Sometimes I feel really ugly then I remember I never cared what people thought so that helps a lot.!

• I lock myself in my room. Only drink water and coffee I don't know why but this kind of helps me feel better about myself prbbly bc i lose a bit of weight from it. I don't know im weird

• I came on here and asked you fine people 😊

• I put some makeup on, or go to the gym, or I hang out with awesome friends :)
    But gong to the gym is most effective; you feel good about yourself after a tough workout.

• Accept that I look like a potato and just shrug. After that I go about my day enjoying life.

• Distract myself with youtube videos

• stay away from mirrors and pre-occupy my day with other things
    i feel ya
    i have those days too
    but they thing i dislike the most physically about myself is something that no make-up, exercise, or surgery can fix...

• Good, point noted.
      Stay the hell away from mirrors and reflective surfaces.
      Let's see if it'll work :D

• you change it so your happy with your self.
    if your chubby you work out
    if you hate the color of your hair you color it
    you don't like your shoes you change them
    but dont change for anyone else but your self

• Go to a mirror and tell yourself you are beautiful also don't compare yourself to other people

• push out the negative thoughts

• I'm surrounded by negativity every day, everyone around me is 'negative' how the hell do I become positive?
      Life's a joke now.

• I would keep a distance from negative friends even if it means i have to vebe alone. For well being i would

• I end up staring at myself in the mirror and complimenting everything I find hot on my body and just focus on them.

• I work on it. If I don't like my belly then I go work out to lose weight.

• I wait til the feeling passes.

• Ask questions on GaG about it unfortunately lol

• İ makeup a little. Change my hair's looking. Generrally i dont makeup, only special days and sometime like this :)

• Nothing really.
    Avoid seeing myself mostly.

• Work out... Exercise, makes you look and feel better.

• I have big feet and big hands. I wear a 9,9.5 and Sometimes a 10 in girls shoes.!

• I don't know

Sometimes I feel good but then I think my hip bones are too wide, boobs too small, face too pale and so on and that my thighs are big

• I eat a lot, I pace around and try to console myself that there are far worse people than me.

• I apologize to myself for feeling that way.
    Confidence is the best thing a person can have.

• I am very insecure , but what i can't change i fight hard to change the way i think about it. It is hard to do, but i am learning to accept who i am now.

I have two choices: allow my negative thoughts to destroy who i am as a person or challenge my thoughts and accept the way i look and prevent myself from becoming a person i don't want to become

Never believe everything you think about yourself, because our own minds can be our worst enemy. Don't allow your negative view about yourself define who you are.

• I walk around in my sports bra (at home) and I blast on the weekend or a really upbeat song that makes me really happy and one that I can't feel sad with and I make myself look In the mirror and I refuse to stop until I accept that I'm not fat.. I did this for 3 hrs when I was home alone, I do feel better and earlier today all I felt was insecure and quite pathetic. It works for me I don't know about you but it's my secret way