When a friend wants to die, what can you do to help them?

My friend has been telling me a lot lately, that he wishes to die. It's so sad and I have no idea how to help him out of that situation. I just want him to feel happy and see that life is worth living for. Any suggestions as to how I can help him with that?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're worried your friend is having suicidal thoughts, the first thing you should do is ask him to talk about how he feels and listen to everything he says. Remember you don't have to act the agony aunt by giving him advice or saying you know how he feels.

You must also be careful about coming across as judgmental. You may well have formed certain opinions about his habits and behaviours, e. g. that he drinks too much, but voicing him will only make things worse.

Instead, show empathy. Avoid addressing his problems with your own experiences and instead ask questions. However, be careful with your phrasing. Avoid questions like;

- What are you going to do now?
    - Why did you do that?

These questions probably can't be answered and might make him feel threatened or frightened. Instead, ask open-ended questions such as;

- What were you thinking when it happened?
    - Where did that happen?

Help him look at options for solving his problems.

Good luck.

• Thank you! I will definitely try that. I am so worried. It feels as if our roles have swapped. Just a month ago, I was the one who said, I want to die and now, it's him saying it

What Guys Said 3

• He's not going to do it so don't worry just talk with him and see what's going on because he would have done it already instead of just telling you

• I am really anxious about this. He was always the happy one, the one who made the world a better place, the one who had a goal in life. Now he seems as if he is gone already, as if nothing can change him. As if his life has been sucked out of him and there isn't much I can think of doing in order to make him happy again.

• Suicides quite often talk to someone about their intentions. It doesn't make sense, but it happens.

• You can't help a person with this situation. If he really wants to die he will do it anyway but if he is seeking attention than going to him and talking to him will make him comfortable. Try talking to him dear.

• Seek professional help

• i think that's probably the best solution. Thanks

What Girls Said 3

• You can help him by getting him into therapy. Make sure his close friends and family know too. This problem can't be solved by simply being kind to. him or making him laugh. Depression and suicide needs far more serious treatment.

• Thank you! it's probably the best.

• He's depressed and needs help. You can talk about positive things with and also said that his life worth a lot to people around him who loves him. You can be a good listener when he talks to you about things.

• He needs to see a therapist. Tell him to get help or you will tell his parents.

• Thank you! I'll certainly have to make him see what's going on.

• He s got mental issues and he knows he has to get help or get even worse.