Why do you care about what other people think of you?

I care about being judged and how I am viewed publicly, even by strangers. This is why I'm so shy and don't wear sweat pants outside even though I want to... it's holding me back. I know I'd be happier if I could just stop caring, but I don't know how.

• Because I'm human, we all care
  • I dont know, I wish I didn't care, but I can't stop!
  • I don't care what anyone thinks... don't give a darn

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't give this too much thought as people are going to think what they will about you and there is nothing you can do about it. Be happy. Know who you are and live to improve on that. You will find you feel better about yourself. Let the others gossip about that and rather than gossip about them simply smile.

Most Helpful Girl

• I care to a certain extent, but not enough to prevent me from doing things i enjoy. No matter what you do , what you wear or how you look... you'll be judged. So in the end you have to decide who's opinion matters and who's doesn't. You'll even be judged for caring about being judged by people. 💐😊

What Guys Said 23

• You care because as humans (pack animals)
    we seek acceptance from others.

If you want to focus more on yourself
    but have trouble with where to begin, you could
    try taking some time for yourself, just you.

Ever been to a real spa? with mud baths
    professional massage, and all those things.

Doesn't really have to be that, but anything where all that matters, is you
    because then you will just need to hold onto that feeling, once it's over. ^.^

But you're already on your way, because accepting/admitting
    that there's something you need/want/have trouble with, is the
    first step towards happiness.

• I've recently started not to care. I gained a different kind of confidence... not the one that when you walk into a room you think you're better than anyone else but the other kind. The one that when I walk into a room I don't need to compare myself to others.

• Yes, I do, and everyone who says they don't are probably liars.

Seriously, if you really "don't care" what other people think of you, you'd spend all day banging your head with a rock wearing a robe covered in flaming pink nazi swastikas.

But in out culture today, saying you "don't care what others think of you" is just another way of attempting to express toughness or solidarity or whatever.

We ALL care what others think about us in one way or another. The only difference is in whether we chose to admit it or not.

• Everyone cares a bit and it's good to care a bit. It's important. But being overly self-conscience, insecure and putting pressure and worry upon yourself because of what others may think of you is unhealthy.
    Remember everyone is much too caught up in their own lives and their own insrcurities to think about yours.

• I don't care 90 percent of the time but I do care a little bit. Like some people talk really loud at restaurants and not care what people think bu I couldn't do that. I'll dressmaker ow I wants , date who I want, eat what I want, but when it comes to my behavior, I act a little bit different because I kind of think I look like a joke by acting how I usually do in private. So when I'm out in the streets I'm quiet and respectful and mind my own business. But anywhere else I just do what I want.

• I do care because i have an life objective that is find good way to everyone see me as good person and try to change to become that friend no one forgets. That's why sometimes i ask people what they think of me!

Even if is bad thoughts i want listen them all so i can try change my self to become better.

• Well this is how I hope to feel soon. Sadly I still care to some extent because of low self esteem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137zL_goITs

• I only care if I like someone, if a stranger randomly decides they don't like me then they can kiss my ass.

• There are some people whom I look up to, and I take their criticism very seriously. Other than that, I don't care.

• i don't give a shit what people think, they are almost always wrong anyway

• I care to a certain extent because it's a standard. I can't control what someone is thinking but I can control what I want. Try focusing more on what you want and not what they think.

• I was always ignored throughout school, I've had a lot of painful experiences, I don't have any friends.

Essentially, I'm starved for any sort of human appreciation and validation.

• What people think of you might actually be true

and if its not its good to know someone thinks of me anyways

• I don't actually give a fuck but you know we're still human and on some level every individual's action are influenced by the society whether we like it or not

• Cuz it's my image and how am I gonna get anywhere in the world without a good image?

• I don't give a damn about what others " THINK" Of me because I know who I am

• Because potato

• We I am ugly and never leave my house so take a wild guess

• i don't overly care, but i think it's good to have a good reputation.

• I dont want someone talk about me

• Everybody's insecure

• I don't care what people think about me. If they come after to harass me
    i will take legal action against cause i been a abuse victim.

• Because people are prone to mock you, talk behind your back, spreading gossips, slandering etc.

What Girls Said 16

• I voted C.
    I can honestly, genuinely say that I do not care what anyone thinks unless they are friends, family, or someone who's opinion I highly respect and generally admire. Someone could literately be on their last breath, harboring and truly believing in negative thoughts about me but if they are not in one of those groups I won't care. I will still smile just as big, feel just as much pride, and radiate just as much self-love.

A major part of this mentality comes from being realistic and very aware about how complex and deeply imperfect we all are on some level. We all have our own issues, shortcomings, and list of mistakes/bad decisions so do any of us truly have any legitimate place to deeply judge another? No. We are all works in progress. We are all just trying to make it in a chaotic crazy world with complex psyches. So at the end of the day, those judgments are literately worthless. They don't make or break you: they won't propel you into success or decrease your possibilities. They're just disposable words. Don't breathe in other people's nasty toxicity. The other part of that is the living proof I see all around me every single day of my life which confirms just how loving, generous, warm, and highly valuable my existence is. Any comment anyone could throw at me could easily be contradicted by moments I share with others.

Know self-love, know your worth, and don't let anyone make you doubt either.

• Lol. I don't. I used to care all the time but now I couldn't care less. Who cares? What's even more hilarious is when people make dumbass-umptions about you. I laugh the whole time when that happens.

I try not to make assumptions out of people because that would be an illogical thing to do. :)

• For me, it was kind of instilled into me from birth, little things my mum would say as I was growing up, don't rock the boat, don't say things you'll regret, basically don't have an opinion if you might upset someone, be liked... now it's all I can think about, will I be liked or disliked, will I be judged, will I be laughed at - it's not good! I hide now, don't go out much unless it's with the dog, I'm basically paralysed by what I think others will think 😞 wish I could change it!

• Honestly, the older I get the less I care. You begin to realize that it just doesn't matter. A lesson I wished I learned earlier in my life. The only opinions I truly care about are from my husband @graysailor and those of my family.

• Because I do have a lot of mental health issues which I am trying to overcome, but I just can't stop feeling like everyone is judging me or everyone hates me or stuff like that. It's hard to get those thoughts out of my head.

• It's important to remember that each person has something unique about themselves. Maybe we don't all have flawless skin or the latest 'cool thing', but you might be the most important person to another. We are all good at something, a number of things actually!

I am a randomly smart person about a range of weird things (such as facts and plants), I have had many random hobbies and have an opinion about pretty much everything (or so I'd like to think!)

People can only have power over you if you let them.
      They do not: help you, care for you, love you, know you, understand you and finally THEY ARE NOT YOU!

• Trust me, I don't give a fuck.

• Professionally speaking yes but if you're talking about a personal level, not really. If people like me, that's great. If not, that's their problem.

• honestly for me it is none of those yes I do not care what people think about me however I do care how people treat me because of the way they think or feel about me. if people think that I am weird and quiet and nerdy and lame they will treat me like an outcast no one would talk to me and i would not have any friends however if they like me they will not ignore me that will treat me like somebody. I hate being alone.

• I don't care, I live life how I see fit according to me not how people view me.

• I actually dont

• i only care where my professional reputation is at stake

• I care what people think about me because I'm a people pleaser.

• The only person's acceptance I need and seek, is my own. I wasn't put on the Earth to be manipulated into being someone I'm not. I don't care what anyone thinks of me, and that's what makes me confident and happy.

• I dont really care about what people thinks about me. I swear a lot, i wear sweatpants to the mall, i talk dirty all the time, i tall about sex a lot. Judge me i dont care

• Really? Just really?

• Because we're afraid of rejection