My Gran died some years ago and left her house to my family in her will, would you renovate/ move in or sell the house completely?

This is a personal story for me and my family, just putting this out there for ideas.

Some years ago my gran died, she bought the home sometime after WW2 ended in a small country town here in England, she was always a wonderful person however her health deteriorated with age, and died some years ago now, not too long after her son (My uncle) died from smoking related cancer. Both of them died in the house, so this house has a lot of history with my family.

Her widow (My step grandad, my mum's origional dad died from complications of smoking when she was growing up, He served during WW2) and my mother talked about the idea both of them and my gran talked about some years prior to her death what to do with the house when she has passed, she was happy for us if we wanted to work on the house, only my step grandad lives there currently alone, he's currently 82 years old and is more than happy if we wanted to move in or work on the house, but the current state on the house is deteriorating rather quickly.

What would you do here? My mother and father are nearing their retirement, along with the large land area the property resides on this has a lot of potential to be something really good (Enough for three houses almost, we could have enough land for a decently sized mansion almost including the large garden space) but this is also going to take a lot of time, I can't say for certain but we will roughly need around £30,000+, I can imagine though it will take probably less than ten years but more than five for everything to be finished.

What would you do?

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• "Both of them died in the house, so this house has a lot of history with my family. "

^i see... so do u believe if u sell this house u'll betray 'em?

"he's currently 82 years old and is more than happy if we wanted to move in or work on the house, but the current state on the house is deteriorating rather quickly. "

^well... it's yer grandpa's wish to work on it as well as it seems... but u say it'll cost u £30k if u decide to work on it... can u afford such a price u and yer family? if yes then ok...

"What would you do?"

^personally... well tbh i'd sell it... spendin £30k would be too much money... but of course i'd not make a move unless other family members agreed... ;)

so better discuss it wid yer family about wot u r gonna do.. :)