If someone makes a joke out of something sensitive to you, how do you react?

It's something you are eiher insecure about or have strong feelings for and someone makes a joke out of it. How do you react?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I would try to work out their intentions - If it is accidental I would ask them politely to not do it - If it wasn't accidental I wouldn't be so polite

What Girls Said 11

• Not gonna lie, I don't react well. For your own safety, don't make fun of things I'm insecure about or have strong feelings for. I will probably cry and afterwards I will wreck your ass.

• If it's an insecurity, I go really quiet and awkwardly try to let them know for future reference that I don't find it funny. Internally, I'm probably on the verge of a meltdown because all the negative feelings surrounding the insecurity have been stirred up and worsened. :/

If it's something I have strong feelings about, I'll usually just ignore it, but my feelings toward them may have taken a negative dip.

• Depends who it is and what the topic is, I guess.

But in the most generic situation, though, I see myself just saying like, "Awww, dude.." and they'd hopefully be caught off guard with how bothered I seem and somewhat confusedly ask, "... what?" and I'd explain real quick, "That's kind of a touchy subject for me, bro," and they'd be like "oh fuck, my bad."

LOL.

I don't make a big deal out of anything nor do the friends I choose to make and keep. So it's all chill. Because I know that there are some people who actually instinctively use humor to cover insecurities or something that bothers them, too (like some people laugh when they're nervous). No harm done. I try to understand all perspectives, you know?

• I would stop talking to them immediately if we're in a group. If we're face to face, I'd call him/her out, straight up, and tell him/her that they're being a jerk.

• I think maybe in the generation before me and the one before that it must have been socially acceptable to tease people. I think it's becoming less acceptable. Sometimes I just look at the people like they are stupid. Then I walk away. It must be an art very few have mastered.

• I have to find something sensitive to me first. I'm sure I'd react badly and viciously...

• Oh boy, they better wish they run away quickly. I don't react quite well to this tbh.

• I would get upset of course. I hate when people make jokes about sensitive topics.

• I get quiet and kind of give them the "vibe" that it wasn't funny.

• I'd probably lash out at them.

• i would tell that person to grow up or i'll start to argue

What Guys Said 3