Sensitive Situation: What Would You Do?

Let's say you're dating someone. They are an RA at their college. You're at your own college. Their birthday is coming up. You planned to visit them in a couple days to celebrate their birthday over the weekend.

The morning two days before you're supposed to leave to visit them, you woke up to news that one of their fellow RA's and close friends (one person) was found dead on their campus. Authorities/The University hasn't released the details of COD, just that his/her family has been notified and that classes were canceled for the day.

Your SO is taking it rather hard.

What would you do?

Do you cancel the visit seeing as it might be a bad time and your SO may not be in the most festive of moods?
Do you go and cancel the birthday dinner plans? Just go for morale support?
Do you go and ignore the recent events and focus on making sure your SO has a great birthday weekend?

• Cancel the visit
  • Go and cancel the birthday dinner plans
  • Go and ignore the recent events and focus on making sure your SO has a great birthday weekend
  • I am an iguana

Most Helpful Guy

• Forget poll options and just talk to him - Tell him it is his decision how you play it - He might want your company but for a quiet reflective weekend or have a dinner to take his mind off things - I am 99% sure he will want you there but what for I don't know.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow. I'm so sorry for the both of you, Alex.

What Guys Said 2

• I would chose option B and probably send a quick mail or SMS to suggest that solution :D

• Definitely go for morale support, you can still buy a cake or take your SO for lunch or dinner to help them get through this tough situation.

What Girls Said 4

• I'd go and cancel the birthday plans and just stay with them and try to comfort them the best I can.

• I'd go, but I won't celebrate his birthday. I want to be there for him, to support him, be his shoulders to cry on (if he needs it). We can do the celebration next time, there's always next time.

• Maybe visit him and offer moral support, possibly get a thoughtful gift because it's his birthday, but nothing big because he may not be in the mood.. I guess go by how he's dealing with it nd what he wants to do on his birthday

• talk to my SO.