What is your opinion on male societies at college?

I saw this story about how a male society was blocked as it was deemed to be too similar to the Feminist society. I think the writer has a point and it's why so many distance themselves from feminism.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11670138/Why-are-our-universities-blocking-mens-societies.html

"Adam told me: “Last October, a friend who was depressed reached out to me, but I didn’t know what to say. I tried to help, but two weeks later I found out he’d killed himself. That hit me hard. I started looking into male suicide and found some shocking statistics. The reason behind that is that male depression isn’t taken seriously – we’re supposed to just ‘man up’ and deal with it. Men are ridiculed.

“It’s incredible how much stigma there is against male weakness. Men’s issues are deemed unimportant, so I decided to start a society.

“But it was rejected by [Durham's] Societies Committee; they said it was 'controversial' – and that my aims were 'too similar to those of Fem Soc [Feminist Society]'. That’s just not true. They told me I could have a men’s group, but only if it was a branch of the Fem Soc, which struck me as unacceptable.

“To show why, I went through the Fem Soc policy documents, where it specifically says, ‘Feminism exists for women’ and ‘it would be extremely unreasonable to expect this space to support and cater for the needs of men'.

...

Widespread media reports of rampant "lad culture" at universities, and the establishment of compulsory consent classes at a number of institutions, helps create a stereotype that all male students are potentially dangerous sexual predators.

Banning or hamstringing societies that would encourage men to speak up on serious issues further adds to the growing perception that universities are becoming unwelcoming spaces for young men."

• They are needed and should be allowed.
  • They are needed but feminism can handle these problems.
  • They are not needed.
  • They are dangerous.
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe that they're needed. Feminism can work towards handling these problems - and, in cases such as mental illness and stigmatisation, I think it does help men too -, but it would be fine for both groups to either exist separately or work together.

• Can it help men? I just think it suppresses the conversation because it want it's own issues dealt with first.

• Yeah, ours is pretty cool. I'd assume you would be seeing as my boyfriend usually goes to that one (he goes more than I go!), but if you're interested, it might be best to ask first. I don't really see why you shouldn't be allowed though... Yeah, I agree. There are definitely many problems with feminism. I'm a feminist and even I'll admit it :P But I'm hopeful that, from my experiences, feminism is becoming more equal. Initially it was a group made for women and that was cool and it still should be about women, especially non Western women, but I've seen it becoming more open and I think it'll be a good thing :)

• "Yeah, ours is pretty cool. I'd assume you would be seeing as my boyfriend usually goes to that one (he goes more than I go!), but if you're interested, it might be best to ask first. I don't really see why you shouldn't be allowed though..."
      I might email first. I'd probably just sit quietly at the back. lol

Yep. I actually made a Take that said something similar. I think that it's still the best option for gender equality we have.

Most Helpful Guy

• If women can have female societies then males should be allowed the same.

• That was my thinking but I believe the issue is that the feminist group believes it's the society for all gender issues.

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 3

• If women can have sororities it's only fair that men can have fraternities.

• True but this isn't about sororities. It's about feminist groups and male equivalents.

• Oh, well same thing then. Either way it's only fair.

• Agreed.

• Maybe once men leave women to their own devices, they'll start taking men's problems seriously

Until then, feminism will keep messing with men

• Men need male, 100n percent male, spaces the same as females.