Do you think the objectification of men is starting to become an issue around the world?

Do you think men are starting to be increasingly pressured to look a certain way worldwide just like women have had to deal with for decades? Are men going to have to deal with looking towards an ideal they can't hope to match? How do you think this will effect gender dynamics in the future? Will more men start to be able to identify with the objectification of women?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other
  • Don't feel insecure Red! You're awesome!

Most Helpful Girl

• The short answer (tl;dr): Somewhat, at an interpersonal [micro] level, which will likely not be harmful to cis-straight men.
    Sexual objectification is deeply rooted within our culture and is a core pillar of misogyny. To say that the sexualization of men (or increasing beauty standards) is at the same damaging level as the objectification of women would be inaccurate and dishonest. In fact, I consider this claim to be a tool of distraction as opposed to honest concern, used to devalue the feelings of women who have been so overtly and viciously objectified.
    Some will argue that men are objectifies in commercials/ads show men hardly dressed, in a sexual manner, but you have to understand the full context of that depiction versus the context and purpose of women displayed sexually. You’ll find that many depictions of men in this manner are often tongue in cheek, but even in this context he will normally be shown in full form, fully aware and in control of what he is doing in the scene – whereas women are often shot without their heads in the same screen (see: women’s volleyball filming complaints), or they are shown only from the back.
    Now, keep in mind that there are 10 parts to sexual objectification:
    Instrumentality, denial of autonomy, inertness, fungibility (the treatment of a person as interchangeable with other objects), violability, ownership, denial of subjectivity, reduction to body, reduction to appearance, silencing, lacking the capacity to speak.
    You’ll find that the objectification of women has had a very real [damaging] role in the treatment of ALL women, of all ages (including toddlers), whereas the objectification of men does not. Consider all of the girls who are suspended from school for wearing tank tops to “avoid having their male peers distracted”.
    Sexualized women (again, of ALL ages) are seen as less worthy, as stupid, as useless for anything outside of sex. They are inherently considered inferior and not worth any sympathy. Examples: theconversation.com/sexualised-girls-are-seen-as-less-intelligent-and-less-worthy-of-help-than-their-peers-46537
    pwq.sagepub.com/.../0361684315602887.abstract
    The objectification of women denies that women have thoughts, feelings, and rights. It dehumanizes them. The woman does not matter – her body is the only thing she is worth – her well-being, safety, feels, and rights are inherently lessened by her sexualization. (more to come)

• All of this does not happen to men at the same level or magnitude – it also not a global issue. The objectification of men is more of a first-world, western issue. And overall, there is no system of oppression in place for men in the same magnitude.
      Yes, women can use men only to satisfy their sexual needs – but sexual satisfaction, casual sex, etc all fall under a social issue that does not include objectification or oppression.
      k- done :p

• Wow honestly yeah I didn't really put that much thought into it. I was thinking beauty standards more than purely objectification. You're absolutely right. Awesome answer. I'm going to read more on the subject I can promise you that.

• thanks for mho! I thought you meant beauty standards, but I couldn't tell. Usually I don't put much thought into my answers anymore (because no one reads them lmao), but I knew you'd understand :) But yeah, beauty standards are def changing quite a bit! Lmk if you need more resources <3

What Girls Said 6

• Of course they are, they always have been. However, men have not had the same advocacy as women. I have always argued that men experience much of the same sexism that women experience.

• I accidentally picked the last one but mean to pick "Other". (I don't know you - you very well might be awesome. You might also be shit lol)

I think it's becoming a real issue, yes, but I still don't think that men are held to nearly the same standards as women are, nor do they face the same expectation to make their appearance their top priority.

• I agree. I was just wondering if people think it's a start. I didn't want to really make it a contest or anything like that haha

• Oh yeah - the solution to equality isn't to bring men down but rather to build us up, so I'm not OK with men being objectified "because women have it worse".

• Vote C = No, but I think their loss of personal power is.

• Is it? How does my cover picture make you feel?

• have you seen some animes? it's pretty huge. try free it's basically female fan service.

• it's always been like that

What Guys Said 10

• If I have ever had any major complaint with the way way women interact with men, it's that I'm not treated ENOUGH like a piece of meat. Not even being a wise ass, I'm dead serious. I wish girls hollered at us the same way we holler at them, I would honestly LOVE. Attractive, unattractive, doesn't matter. I'll take that ego stroke all day, haha. The rare occasions where I get a blatant one are the best days of my life, haha. Objectify this guy all you want.

Unrelated: THEY FREED BRADY!!!

• Dude I knew they were gonna free Brady. Even Nash admitted quite early on they lacked any evidence. Courts are about beyond a reasonable doubt and they didn't have that from the start. I'm wicked excited though. The draft pick loss will sting a bit though..

• I definitely think there's a trend towards mocking men or seeing them as quite disposable - dehumanising them, almost. Two wrongs apparently make a right. Also, I don't think women are very realistic about what it takes to attain what is almost deemed to be the 'norm' in terms of a male body (4000 cals and imbalanced gym routines?).

Generally I don't give a shit though. Society will continue on with its myriad madness. I don't have to partake in it. Thankfully, there still are a few sane women, who have a mind of their own, also.

• No, I don't think so.

But sometimes people think, "Do I look too fat/nerdy/skinny?" and these are all normal things that people get worried over. Maybe guys don't think about it as much? But I haven't done any studies on that so it's just a guess. The media seems to pressure women more at the moment.

• I think I've asked myself the first two that I mentioned. I did lose a lot of weight so I'm actually trying to gain some weight back now. I don't feel like I'm self-conscious or anything though.

• Men have always been objectified as social success objects. A man's worth is based on the wealth he acquired. It just so happen it is now spilling over into appearance as well.

• Yes, absolutely. But the problem will be that men who will speak out against it will be labeled as whiners and what not and thus no movement will ever get anywhere unless they come up with a successful method on spreading awareness.

• It's been like this for my whole life. You've always had the pressure to be muscular, have beard and have a certain facial structure in order to be considered a man, and in order for girls to like you, so it's not something new.

• When i think of objectification of women, i think of half naked women in a commercial to sell a product. I never thought of beauty standards to be objectification. And i thought there always was (and there will probably always will be) beauty standards of both genders

• ehhh all these beauty standards are really just being healthy. stop being a fat ass and all is well

• Being healthy can't change all of your body proportions and facial features though..

• yeah that's just life. its called being an adult.

• At least the standard set for men is a *healthy* one to try to achieve.

• Yes and no. I think men have always been objectified just as much as women. Sure us men are more visual and thus society is more assertive with how women should look, but women have always had ideals of what a man should look like. That's not a society thing. That's a biological thing with society riding the back end of it.

The "Lumbersexual" ideal is very true here in America. Even on here you see most girls like that kind of guy. Perhaps a big guy who's like that or a slim guy who's like that, but none the less around that same ideal.

It doesn't surprise me about Brazil considering it's been a lot of cosmetic surgery for women in Brazil for decades. So yeah I think men in that regard to Brazil are "catching up to women". The ideal man there seems to become similar to what the ideal for a woman is. In the same vein so to speak.

The South African thing is really really sad. It upsets me greatly. So many people in South Africa are black. I mean the numbers are there. And yet who do you see the most representing South Africa? Whites. There are more whites in South Africa than other parts of Africa if I'm not mistaken. Society and media jumped all over that apparently. It's really sad. Makes me sick.

I learned a lot watching this video. Media entertainment has such a big influence. Be it Bollywood films, K-pop, or David Beckham (lol).

All in all I never cared about trends. T-shirts, snapbacks/fitteds, and jeans for life. No fucks given.