If I gave you a million dollars, Would you spend on experiences or possessions?

So you have to chose one or the other and that's all the million can go into. Experiences would be like travelling, extreme sports/going to concerts. Possessions would be like buying a house/car/clothes.

• experience
  • possessions
LOL i don't think paying off the bills fits into either choice

Most Helpful Girl

• If I HAD to choose between these two, it would be possessions, but not necessarily for myself. For myself would be a car big enough to fit my family and friends of my kids. Someone stole my lawnmower, so I need a new one. I would fix things in my house then sell it to move to a better/safer location. Not that my house is in an unsafe location, but things have changed around here and thefts are occurring more. Over the last 8 years or so, all of my kids bikes have been stolen, as well as a lawnmower, an edger, a welding machine, an air compressor, a four wheeler, etc. Everything was locked up, but stolen anyway. A couple of months ago, my friend's car was broken into while in my driveway. Anyway, I would also buy a car for my daughter. I'm a saver, so spending money is hard for me. Lol. My mom has said that she has never seen someone literally look pained when spending money. Haha! I didn't realize it was like that, but I am pretty tight with money and i rarely spend money on myself unless it's a necessity. I would prefer to invest a good portion of this theoretical million for the future of myself and my kids. My son has a life-threatening medical condition, so he will need to continue paying for supplies for the rest of his life. He also can't get life insurance and medical insurance/deductibles will be pricey. I don't want him to have to work just to stay alive. In the meantime, money would be set aside to pay for his supplies throughout his childhood and while he is under my protection and care. I would also buy each of my parents a new vehicle. My dad has always bought my mom a new vehicle and taken her hand-me-downs. That was his choice. Her van is currently 15 years old and is starting to have some issues. They usually never go more than 5 years without a new vehicle, but life has gotten in the way. They are great parents and deserve something for everything they have done for me, my siblings and their grandkids. My dad is 64 years old, but he doesn't believe in watching women sttuggle or do "man's work". I'm okay with doing what I have to do and usually don't even tell him when something goes wrong, but it makes him feel good to come edge my lawn, change my lightbulbs and change my a/c filter, so I say nothing. He also chooses to take me to doctor/hospital visits for the kids. I want to do something for my dad in return. My mom takes care of my disabled grandmother, takes care of her family and works; she deserves good too.

Most Helpful Guy

• A millions dollars isn't all that much considering.

But I've always wanted to fund/build a home/shelter
    to house orphans and homeless people.

But at the same time, I do enjoy
    traveling, and experiencing all the
    amazing sights, the world has to offer.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 9

• Possessions for sure. I'd love a house rather than an apartment.

• I chose "experience." I would love to be able to travel more. I have a place right now, though I would want to pay off my student loans, too. Too bad I couldn't choose both.

• $400k would go to building a nice 3 bedroom home. $50k would go on a nice car. Another $50k would be split between my favorite 5 family members. Well thats $500k. The other $500k I would stretch over the next few years for college savings, bills, traveling, charity, etc.

• Both? I'd pay off all the bills and maybe vacation somewhere for a week... But then I'd save it to buy what I need and what I want for the house

• A sensible person would buy a house and a car.
    I would go traveling, there is nothing I want more than to see the world.
    www.jaunted.com/.../...mjhhpmk19o1s6ct2eo1_500.gif

• Ughhh, I can't decide lol. I would have to go with possessions though because my family needs the money really bad, I would buy houses/cars/land for everyone and then spend the money from my paycheck traveling since I wouldn't have to spend it helping them out anymore. I want to take my niece to Disney Land so bad lol

• Experiences. Although what I really want to do is buy an RV and then travel everywhere and live in it. So I'd have to buy an RV. So I guess both.

• experiences and charity

• I suppose possessions; I would pay my Mum and stepdad's mortgage, and hopefully help out other family members and friends. And pay off my student loans if I still had money left after that

What Guys Said 13

• Possessions. Think about it logically: if I spent a million buying a home and car and clothes and everything else, my income is now completely freed up from having to pay for it, and I'll now have a lot more disposable income left over to go and have experiences.

You think how much people spend on rent or mortgages per month, and how much are car payments per month? I spend half my paycheque on rent.

• ... So many people voting for possessions..
    Maybe it's just me, but to me experiences are worth more, it's those memories...

• Definitely experiences. Where else would I get 1 million dollars worth of experiences that will will last me a lifetime. Scratch getting 1 million dollars worth of possessions, I'd get bored quickly.

• I'd buy a car, probably an Audi R8 and a Lotus Exige S and a Honda Civic Type R, along with a Land Rover Autobiography Black.

Okay maybe just two of those.

Then I'd get the stuff on my Amazon wish list, pay off my college loans, and save the rest for my future house. Or maybe just buy one after this year of college.

• I'd save it towards retirement.

• Both, of course. But once the core possessions were in hand, it would be about experiences AND investments. 1M isn't enough to retire on anymore by a long shot

• Possessions, you can have nice experiences for free or for cheap, I would feel like I'm blowing money.

• Possessions. I built my own company and make enough money for experiences.

• Possessions because they last.

• Both. I would spend it on possessions (ie. assets) that allowed me to continually experience things for my whole life, versus blowing the million dollars all in one go.

• If I had the money to travel, you'd never see me in the same place twice.

• I would go traveling

• I suppose you'd call it an experience, I'd invest it to make myself not dependent on anyone.