Do you think the pen is mightier than the sword?

I'm sure most of you have heard the saying "the pen is mightier than the sword", do you agree?

• Yes, I agree.
  • No, I disagree.
  • I don't know, I don't understand it.
  • Other
  • See answers

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• The pen is only mightier then a sword if it reaches a group of people that are themselves willing to act upon your writing. There must be action for anything to change, but a scribble on a piece of paper is not enough.
    And no fool would bring a pen to a sword fight. Think of the writings that have changed the world, The Bible, Plato, Aristotle, Thomas Jefferson, Voltaire, Marx, Ayn Rand, Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, etc. etc. Virtually every one of them had a readership that was armed and acted on their writings. Even laws are backed by an armed police force, so writings are more broad reaching but by themselves are not effective.

What Girls Said 8

• Obama seems to think so. xx

• I voted other 'cause I read: "do you think the penis mightier than the sword?"

and I'm not entirely sure.

• I do.
    But terrorists certainly wouldn't agree. xD

• ultimately yes, brute strength only get you so far. look at humans and animals, there are plenty much stronger than us, but we have a more evolved brain allowing us to be at the top of the food chain. more or less.

• I totally agree! The pen is mightier then the sword

But I guess it also depends on whose holding the pen or sword.

• LOL I read that as "penis mightier than the sword" :P

• Yes that's how Romney lost the last election

• wait i change my mind! I agree :)

What Guys Said 14

• The pen is nothing without the ideas behind it. However if by pen you mean ideas then yes, people strive fight and die for ideas, ideas are eternal, they have started wars and ended them they pushed us forward and got us to explore the world and space, so yeah the pen is mighter, after all how many writers philosphers etc wher killed or died that we still know of today? Its the only way to achieve immortality.

• Depends on the wielder of each.

A person with a silver tongue
    can have a nation at their knees.

But so could a master swordsman
    through more brutish means.

• What then, if a person could wield both at once
      would that make this person mightier? ^.^

• That depends, but generally I'd say no.

• Yes obviously.
    The book Common Sense by Thomas Paine helped start the American revolution, the communist manifesto helped put Lenin in power and many other examples.

• I think the keyboard is mightier than the pen

• A sword can protect you or be used as a means of creating conflict, but it can only do so much, whereas a pen has more variety of usage and can accomplish just as much and more in other ways.

• no, who would go for a pen in a sword fight

• I get a sword and you get a pen, and we duel.. deal?

• Yes I agree, mighty it is on paper you can also stab someone with it.

• Depends on who is using them

• Up to a point, writers and journalists can sway public opinion but there may be no middle ground and out come the swords. Soon between Israel and Iran. The sooner the better that Iran is neutralized, aka nuclearized. Can I get an AMEN?

• A sword can cut a pen clean. What kind of question is that.

• The kind beyond your comprehension apparently.

• Apparently.

• Only if people can and do read and the people with swords are reluctant to use them. If the sword wielders are enthusiastic and the readers are thin on the ground, the sword wins.

• My penis is mightier than the sword