Is it possiblt to shut off emotional pain?

... even temporarily. If so, do you know of any ways to shut off emotional pain?

Possible*

Most Helpful Guy

• I very much agree with NearlyNapping. Shutting off your emotions is a very possible event. I have successfully done this. However, and this is a huge HOWEVER, you need to understand what this means. Emotion is not only a part of being human it is a large part of both the human experience but also a means by which we all communicate (expression). If you think about it, it is the way we as babies know when our parents are happy, sad or other. To be sure this is before we can use language, but we still understand what these subtleties mean and the value they have. Unfortunately when you shut off one emotion, odds are you will also kind of shut off all other emotions. I say this because due to the amount of energy it takes to cut off one emotion the effect usually then overwhelms all other emotions as well. Once you have achieved your goal, while it is true you will be very effectively clad in your emotional "armor" and it will be very hard for others to hurt you, you will also be living in a very cold, emotionless, and ultimately LONELY world. People will describe you as cold, robotic, stoic, angry, intimidating, and will largely not want to have anything to do with you. Again, yes your emotions are "protected" but this comes at a price, and given the energy it took to achieve this goal, it also takes as much if not more energy to reverse the process, and while I have had some successes in recovering your emotions and humanity, I have still been described as emotionally efficient. So while I now have a healthy and meaningful relationship with my wife, I still find it hard to let people "in" to let them get to know me. Just know, it is possible but the price to be paid is high.

• Thank you so very much for you comment , i enjoyed reading it. It was very helpful. I appreciate the time you have taken and thought you have put into typing your answer. It has actually made me see things from another perspective now, which has helped my moid to lift a little. Thanks again 💐

• Aww thank you 💚 that is kind of you. I don't have anyone i can talk to, but i am going to do what @_zara_ suggested and keep a journal.

I believe you are right talking helps and i need a good friend who can understand, also if i write down my thoughts and feelings it may help. My best friend died last year , and he used to tell me i need to be my own best friend. I guess i know what he meant now.

• Keeping a journal is a good idea, I have used this approach when I didn't have anybody to talk to and it can help you examine your feelings and it is a healthy outlet. I'm glad you are finding ways to cope, this is important and will serve you well both now and later in life.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can, just distract yourself with other things. If it doesn't help you could talk to someone or journal about it and eventually you'll move on. Good luck 😊

• I haven't anyone who i can talk to, but i like the ideal of keeping a journal. If i put my thoughts and feelings down that may help. Thanks!

• Thanks for mho 😊

• You're welcome, and thank you for you advice 🌷

What Guys Said 26

• You can, but you won't like who you become. You'd become cold and emotionless. You'd walk around like a zombie not caring about anything or anybody. Humans are emotional beings. Losing your emotions is losing your humanity.

Whatever is going on, maybe the pain feels like it's too much to bear. But you have the strength to endure. You can make it through without losing yourself. Tears and time are healing. No matter how hard it seems, give them a chance, give yourself a chance.

• Thanks, i appreciate your comment

• Believe me, it's not worth it. During the worst time of my life, it only took me about a month to become pretty much dead inside. It seemed to make things easier at first. But there comes a time when you want to be "normal" again. As of now, I've spent 7 years trying to become more emotional again, and progress is slow. People still describe me as cold, heartless, distant, emotionally dead and similar things. And I can't even say they are wrong. It's not like I don't express my feelings. I'm actually very expressive. But I simply don't feel much. Again, it is an advantage sometimes, but life feels very, very lonely and empty when there is a genuinely happy moment (such as achieving a great success or seeing an old friend again after many years) and you simply feel nothing.

• My life is empty and lonly now so it wouldn't make any difference to me

• There is a reason humans feel both pain and joy. It's supposed to be that way. If you don't feel, you might as well be dead. I'd rather suffer 364 days of the year just to be able to smile on that one day.

• I'd give up the rest of my life to feel happy for only 24hours

• If you closing to shut your humanity, it's bad enjoy the pleasure of being in pain, feel that broken heart and, say this, 'Life you screwed me, people have made me bitch, and fated tried to kill me, and now it is gonna be my turn, to screw this life and to make people my bitch and hunt down my fate until I kill it.' say it and shut of your humanity, go to sleep and when you wake up, start to with a plan to execute it

• Do you mean take revenge?

• I know you are not a revenge person, but until you would realize that, you would be back on your feet, instead or carrying regrets will have Bag of hopes

• Oh i understand now. Thanks 👍

• One way to temporarily shut off emotional pain is to become totally involved in some other activity that you love, something that consumes all your attention. Playing a sport that has few idle moments, or playing a musical instrument works for some people

• Is that not distraction though. I mean shut them off completely , not distract my thoughts

• Yes, but it takes a lot of completely unfocused meditation. You have to learn to completely redirect all thoughts to an observant level vs one that experiences. So it becomes essentially a working function of breaking down and simplifying every situation you're ever put into, finding as many possible outcomes as you can think of, directing your action to the best possible outcome, and considering the outcome nothing more than an outcome. It's a pretty bland existence, but coming from someone that never wants to feel the pain that his ex fiancee left him in again, it's better than being dead.

I do not recommend this way of life, I do not recommend this path to painless existence. It is lonely, it is empty, and no matter how much you search you'll never find a universal guaranteed set of moves that will get you the outcome you want.

• How can you shut them off though?

• Yes but it is not healthy for you to do and bottle it up. Trust me I have been there you do not wanna do that you will in the long term become emotionally cold, weary of others and even probabaly lack most kinds of motivations about anything or any one.

I have been down that way before luckily i got myself out of that rut before I got the really bad emotional back lash you can suffer.

• How do you shut off from feeling the pain?

• sorry can't you know that you are best trust me your better facing the demons now more than later embrace the pain dont run away from it, it will get better in the long run

• No, I don't think so. Emotional pain gets better only with the time.

• Suppressing it will cause emotional, mental, and sometimes physical issues. You could possibly change the synapses in your brain. Which means you might need medications to help adjust the brain chemistry so that you can even deal with this suppressed emotional issue.

• Yes, it can happen in the last 5 months or more i noticed my emotional pain being shut off

• How do you shut it off?

• Well, medication i take and just do things to keep myself busy
      i still go into deep thought over my emotional pain but than
      i put up blockers cause if not than i think about it a lot ,

• I can actually make myself scared about things and i really don't want go there

• Yes it is possible you can block emotionally to anyone but I recommend you not to do so, it is way too hard to come back from that you may hurt people on the process. Good luck!

• How is it possible?

• I have learned from it... NEVER to trust again

• Well I dont think thats the leasson to be learned, the problem is when you invest in a relationship more than the other person, love is not an investment business love is love a totally different dynamic. Just let it sink in, see it as an opportunity to do things you couldnt do anymore, grow as a person, travel, read, exersice and soon or later a better person will get to your life just give it time ;)

• yes i did. and now i cannot feel happy, nor sad. wouldn't recommend it ;(
    i got bullied for all my life so it was my unconcious response to making it not hurt

• You can reduce it through vigourous exercise. I don't think it's possible to shut it off completely. Pain is part of life.

• Not really. Distractions only help a little.
    Talking to people you love helps by giving you more strength to deal with the pain.

• I have no one at all to talk to

• Some people have achieved this with meditation, being able to support things that would be very painful👌

• Sure some forms of meditation will do it, as will some drugs.

• That is not controlling your own emotions though. Drugs does not control then

• Nope, not possible unless you want to go into drugs.

• Drugs doesn't control negative emotions though

• Yeah it is. I tend to just put my mind in other places. It's probably not healthy to ball up emotions but being male it's kind of common nature to do so.

• I mean shut them off, not distracting my thoughts

• it´s not possible to shut them off but it´s possible to enjoy them.

• How so? How can anyone enjoy feeling " pain" ?

• yeah each emotion demands it´s respective action. sadness isn´t suitable for the gym and anger isn´t suitable for an emotional talk with a best friend. find out what emotion it is and what you need to do to exhaust it.

• Yeah good idea. I never thought of it like that. Thanks

• Yeah.. it is, but in the end, you'll lose everyone and everything.
    Just have a glass of tequila. Don't be so down on a Saturday night love.~

Prochnost ~

• How would you lose everything?

• Shutting off emotions means you'll be completely boring and unable to read.
      You can still talk to people, but you'll be just a blank face & feelings.

I only assume your objective to shut down your emotion was to avoid everyone.

If that's so then it's as I've said. You'll push everyone away,
      you won't care , you won't feel and you definitely won't have.

Humans cannot live without human interactions,
      no matter how annoying the interaction may be.

• Yeah, I suppose it's possible to shut off emotional pain temporarily.

• How do you do it though?

• Not at my Doctors there's not. . They are all male.

• That doesn't mean you can't look for any female doctors.

• Practice and experience with certain kinds of pain.

• Of course- Denial is a great life aide

• drugs. take your pick.

• That doesn't shut off negative emotions though?

• become a woman. complete anesthesia guaranteed.

• You just have to find the off switch, and it might take you a while to find.

If you know what I mean.

• What is the off switch though?

• There's 2 issues i am dealing with and i feel so overwhelmed with emotional pin. I think if i even a good friend it would help me but i haven't got anyone to talk to. I feel i am battling a fight all alone 😞

• OK so what are your troubles, I'll try to help!

• Not really a way to do it other than staying busy.

What Girls Said 15

• Yes, occupy yourself with something useful and difficult to do - this way you have no time for anything else.
    If this doesn't work on you then you may not be the kind of person who can turn off their emotions or put them aside for a while. Which is okay. So don't beat yourself up about it.

• If it's possible I supposed I would've done it long ago..

Don't think there's any way possible to shut it off tho.

• Sure, the most efficient solution is psychotherapy. A psychotherapist will be able to help you explore your emotions in a safe environment. Feeling safe is important. Part of why you developed the “switch” was likely because you were fearful of strong and painful emotions.

It is important that you receive guidance in this process. A psychotherapist can provide this. It will be a difficult process but one that is necessary.

Good luck.

• i don't think that's possible.. other than inducing coma.. i am thinking about it you know.. lol

• Nuh. Welcome to my hell.

• It may be possible to do but I cannot do it.

• My best way is to just sleep

• I feel the same way. My question is how? What do you need to do to change your frame of mind and feelings to shut off emotions?

• Being cold and emotionless, always distant and closed up like a shell, and doing drugs to "relieve" it.
    You'll be barely a human and feel empty inside, but it does work.

• I don't mean shutting down every emotion , i mean shutting down negative emotionI don't mean by using drugs either. I mean to control your own emotions

• you can't shut off your feelings.

• Just don't think about it

• How can you stop yourself though?

• I don't know anymore

• I did it at one point, but it's hard to make your emotions rise again. Find an outlet.

• How can people shut them off though? I don't mean as in distracting

• You force your emotions down to the point where they reappear as temporary depression or other things because they have to escape somehow. Not healthy.

• You get emotions back by doing stuff you're embarrassed to do or by looking at cute animal videos. It took me a while to find out how. Then when they loosen you have to force yourself to have artificial feelings until they reappear again.

• Yes - if you help others - you will be helped. Get lost in public service whether volunteer or as a career.

• Yes I have and in the process of making myself happy. Its awesome to be numb because nothing can hurt you emotional speaking. But soon or later your going to want to be happy and feel again. I am slowing going back to let myself enjoy things that once made me happy but I stopped. llll

• How do you numb it?

• I gave up believe in love. I am truly embarssed for spend so much time in energy on find my love. I guess I could have done better things. I could of helped the world instead of putting so much energy on something so stupid. I am not going to lie I am bitter towards guy and even when I find an attractive guy I ignore them. When, you become numb that means you have give up what you most desire let out in the open for anyone to crush it.
      When, your emotions are numb and if your anything like me who has cried so much it like a great sense of relief. Its like begin able to say I am free and tear will not fall down. I slow work my way to find things I love like watch anime that are romantic which goes against my bitterness but warm my heart at the same time. haha... I don't if I want a boyfriend and I never really found one. I never found him. Its good though I work on find my own passions that does involve realying on love or anyone. I am now looking for the thing that make me happy

• Thank you very much for sharing that with me it was helpful. I appreciate it 👍💛

• I wish I knew how to do that... things would be way less complicated

• My question is how? What is it that someone would need to do to shut off our emotions? Journaling would not be enough for me nor talking to a therapist or someone. This would be something you'd have to do yourself but how? Does anyone know how?