Is it possible for black hair to turn brown with time?

I feel stupid asking this but I've noticed that my hair's a lighter black than it was before.. Is it possible it can become 'brown-ish' with time?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it can turn a dark color or turn black. i was born with snow white
    blonde hair and as i got older into my early childhood my hair turned
    brown so yes hair can change with age. My sister was born black hair
    and when she got into her childhood years her hair color changed to
    like a dirty blonde color ,

Most Helpful Girl

• Its possible. I was born with dark brown hair almost to black but as I grew up like four years old, my hair is completely dark brown.

What Guys Said 6

• Well my hair looks black usually but it's redish brown when light shines on it.
    But your hair colour can definitely change overtime!

• Mine bleaches in the sun from dark brown to quite a light brown.

• Hair changes according to season, I've noticed. In the summer I'm almost dirty blond. Now, my hair is almost black!

• the sun bleahces hair a bit but it won't turn brown

• Yes, it is possible. Very slightly though.

• Yes it's possible 👍

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, it is. When I was a baby, I had black hair. As I got older my hair colour turned into sandy brown.
    Some of my friends were born with really light hair coloue but their hair turned into darker shade as they got older. So, what I'm trying to say is yes, hair colour does change over time, it's quite common :)

Also, if we spend too much time outdoor in summer. Our hair turns into a lighter shade, but our skin becomes darker i. e tan. Melanin makes the skin darker to protect it from harmful UV radiation.
    But, since hair cells are not alive like skin cells are. It can't produce melanin. Which means it takes on bleached appearance. Hence, the hair turns into lighter shade and skin becomes darker in summer

• Yes, when my hair grows out the ends tend to change colors. The rest of my hair is such a dark brown it looks black and when it gets longer the hair at the ends turn into a burgundy brown color.

• I think so, people's hair change all the time with age.

• I think it is because I feel like it is happening with me too.
    :(

• Yupp usually because of the UV rays from the sun. They destroy the melanin in your hair (which causes dark colour) and you hair becomes lighter (because hair cells aren't living cells.)
    It's similar to how you tan, with the UV destroying melanin in skin, but in order to combat the effect, your body produces even more melanin, and so you tan.

• Sun and chemicals, like chlorine from swimming.