Pedophiles cannot be 'cured' in the same way that homosexuals cannot be 'cured'. Agree or disagree?

If you are attracted to underaged kids, then you cannot be cured just like how homosexuals cannot be cured. Agree or disagree?

Most Helpful Guy

• Someone please explain to me how being gay is any different from being a pedophile in regards to biology.

Neither scenario can produce offspring, therefore neither is "normal." How is one considered normal and the other considered a disease? Either they are BOTH normal, or they are BOTH diseases.

• That's ridiculous, being able to reproduce doesn't make it normal. And FYI plenty of children have become pregnant from being raped by adults.

• It doesn't matter what is "normal". What matters is consent. Adults can consent. Children cannot.

• @Slatyb you may be the smartest person on Gag. Your words make perfect sense. We limit ourselves with fear of change and fear of ourselves. We fear our own desires and that makes for a more dangerous society because we then take our emotions and hatred on others who look or proclaim to be different.

What Girls Said 6

• I disagree and think both of them could change. Now that's my own personal opinion and doesn't require anyone being a dick about it.

• I agree. But being a pedophile is a psychiatric disorder while being homosexual is just a state of being different than heterosexuality - both consenting adults, both happy to be in that relationship.

• Well I think cured is the wrong word but if you mean if pedophiles can change into not pedophiles I agree with that. I feel sorry for pedophiles because they can't and should never express their sexuality. It mustbe a very tough life, but you know, what can you do about it?

• The difference is that being gay doesn't need to be cured. One adult being attracted to another adult doesn't cause any harm to anyone, while an adult being attracted to a child is very dangerous and could lead to horrific consequences.

• I agree. Sexual preferring isn't something that can really change or go away. But that doesn't mean they're the same thing, pedophilia is bad homosexuality isn't. Neither can truly be rehabilitated in my mind but only one is immoral

• Being attracted to a certain gender and being attracted to a certain age is COMPLETELY different!

• but they both have to do with attraction at a fundamental level. so how can we 'cure' pedophilia?

What Guys Said 13

• ''Homosexuals cannot be cured''

Wow... You treat homosexually like some sort of disease?

Fucking grow up you sensitive man, Does the fact some guys like it up the poo pipe really effect your life that much? I fucking doubt it...

• This is not what i think actually. stop assuming

• But do you doubt that pedophiles can be 'cured'?

• Dude, I have no idea. Infact, Its impossible to tell, You know, The human brain has more neurons and connections then there are stars in the known universe. And think how little we know about space, And then increase that unknown with the human brain.

Long story short, Its just far to complicated for us to understand how brains work. I dont think we will ever truly understand this stuff.

But, From a personal, Morale perspective, No, I dont think pedophiles can be ''Cured'', If they have once had the mental thought to carry out that action, They have something in their brain allowing it, Something which cannot be ''edited''.

Whilst i do believe its possible for pedophiles to never commit a crime again, I do not believe they can ever be rid of the mentality of it.

• Acting on the attraction is a crime because children cannot give consent. People attracted to pre-pubescent children may or may not be curable, but the attraction itself should not be a crime. I'll go further and say that fictional material depicting sexual acts with children, no matter how distasteful to most, should not be illegal as long as actual children weren't involved.

Adult homosexual relations between consenting adults is a private matter. The SCOTUS was correct in ruling that prosecuting homosexual acts violates people's fundamental right to privacy in such matters.

• 0|0
  • Pedofile vs homosexual are not the same thing

A pedofile could also be a homosexual and a peodofile can still be attracted to fully developed individuals.

A homosexual has a sexual preference towards people of their own sex, were a pedofile is attracted to people under pubescence.

Neither of them is really a disease but I don't feel they really are comparable either, that would be like comparing someone's sexual preference to somonelses fetish, it doesn't make sense.

The issue is morality, It's morally wrong to have sex with someone who has not reached sexual development were as two homosexuals both agree to partake in sexual activity together,

• The issue here is that one of those two don't need to be 'cured' as they are not ill. I hope I don't have to mention which one.

• Yeah, it's true.

• You're right, they can't be "cured" like homosexuals but they can be taught to learn self-control if they get professional help.

• agree pedophiles are born that way however it doesn't mean it should be allowed.

• Maybe cognitive behavior therapy would help.

• You again?
    A real bee in your bonnet. Does it buzz 24/24 ?

• The comparison is ludicrous. Gay people have no mental sickness but sexual predators do and most likely they cannot be cured.

• They both have to deal with attraction. one is to members of the same sex, the other is to underaged children. do you think the latter is a disease and can be 'cured'?

• Gay people are attracted to the same sex... this is a fact yes? and the other are attracted to underage children, also a fact. so given these, do you think the latter is a disease?

• I think the scientific community would be the one to ask. They have not come up with a definitive answer. Since you are obsessed with this why not ask them?

• Well, being gay, isn't a disease

• But pedophilia is?

• I have

• So i'm just supposed to take your word for it?

• I think people can change.

• You're born gay, being gay is NOT a disease

• So why do some people who are gay change to being straight or bi?

• The truth is that genetics may play a role or it may not.